how to use a monopod?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantaresg

Feb 23, 2007
Woodlands
Recently, I was considering to get a monopod for macro shots, but I just cannot understand how the monopod is able to help in making the camera more stable, except that it helps to take some weight off the camera. As I search through the resources on the internet, I found this website that "teaches" you how you use a monopod.

http://www.outdooreyes.com/photo5.php3

I hope this can be useful for people who wants to start on a monopod. For those who are using a monopod, do you use these positions? How useful are these positions?

use a tripod for macro

had seen this site before, used option 2 for event shooting, thought it is more stable than option 1.

use a tripod for macro
I have a tripod for macro shots, but there are many occasions that a monopod is actually more useful. Imaging trying to climb up a wall to catch a close up with a butterfly (which was what happened to me last thursday), the tripod is completely useless here.

Position the monopod in between your feet (archilles tendon) for additional stability.

Position the monopod in between your feet (archilles tendon) for additional stability.
I assume you mean position 2 according to the website. Anybody tried position 3? It seems to me like an awkward position.

I assume you mean position 2 according to the website. Anybody tried position 3? It seems to me like an awkward position.

well, not really like position 2. it is like both your feet are close as if you "sediya", then just poke the leg of the monopod in between your feet, the achilles tendon on both feet will hold the monopod for you firmly, but this can sometimes feel "weird". :)

OIC. But won't you feel unstable in this position? This may cause instability in the left and the right direction?

Probably when I'm free one of these days, I'd pop down to CP and try on its monopods before deciding to invest in one.

Basically, I use #1 when I'm able to lean on a fence or something. #2 is effective as you can lean the monopod on your body and keep steady. #3 does seem a lil weird. Tried it but not too used to it.

Position #2 is not really feasible for long lenses unless your monopod has an adjustable head.

Whether you adopt the 'stable' positions depends on how the monopod is used. If it is to gain that extra one or two stops of handholdability, then it matters how you position the monopod. Stability is important.

If you're shooting at high shutter speeds and only want to take the weight of the lens off your shoulders, then stability is not important. I use position #1 always and with my feet parallel to each other, aka the most unstable position. Doesn't really matter, this position allows me to swing the lens left and right with a lot of ease.

well, not really like position 2. it is like both your feet are close as if you "sediya", then just poke the leg of the monopod in between your feet, the achilles tendon on both feet will hold the monopod for you firmly, but this can sometimes feel "weird". :)

Oh...I have tried that too and I used my knees to support them clamping my knees to the monopod. It's pretty stable but looked weird as you have mentioned. :bsmilie:

Oh...I have tried that too and I used my knees to support them clamping my knees to the monopod. It's pretty stable but looked weird as you have mentioned. :bsmilie:
Does the monopod shift forward and backward easily in this position? Or does this position make you unstable and cause use to move forward and backward? I had some problems focusing when taking butterfly shots, and intend to use a monopod for this purpose.

Status
Not open for further replies.