how to turn your flash to imitate sunlight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belle&Sebastain

Jun 27, 2002
here
www.9frames.com
hi ppls, i need some help,

i need to shoot a indoor product shot that needs to have 'sunlight' streaming in. A few days ago Wee Khim done a fashion shoot doing so, without asking him, i observed him using orange gel with his stobe light.

i tried using my ex550 with orange gel without any sucess :(, all the pictures are just' orange not the sunlight look.

anyone can help? i need to shoot the accessories tomorrow and there is only limited light with the weather recently.

any help is appreciated thanks!

:)

You mean like this ?

Boy%20and%20cat%20at%20sunrise.jpg

http://www.friedmanarchives.com/flash.htm

Author said he used a flash with orange gel and an umbrella.

it may be helpful to let you know wee khim shoot in raw and can tweak the white balance of the light to a desired shade. you should ask his assistant next time. he is quite a nice chap.

color temp of sunlight should be 5600K. play with it a little in raw.

zekai said:
it may be helpful to let you know wee khim shoot in raw and can tweak the white balance of the light to a desired shade. you should ask his assistant next time. he is quite a nice chap.

color temp of sunlight should be 5600K. play with it a little in raw.

i told Wee Khim & Henry to shoot in Jpeg, i have a easier time working on the graphics and i needed the pictures the next day.

You know WK, so busy, will pass me the pics 2 weeks after if shot in RAW.

Henry HP is off most of the time, the acticle doesn't tell me how to do it? anyone else can help?

thks for the col tip, will try later. :)

what happens is this... the color temperature of the warm sunlight and the flash light is different. thus an orange gel is used over the flash to correct the color. thus, faithful white balance can be done on digital cameras...

this same technique i used when shooting in tungsten light... orange filter and wb set to tungesten... if a non filtered flash was used, the result will be wrong... blue to be precise.

i think i know which shoot you are talking abt. you are in fashion biz.

zekai said:
i think i know which shoot you are talking abt. you are in fashion biz.

yes, lots of ppls know i'm in the fashion business! ;) you are Mark Law's assistant right? nice to 'meet' you, will pop over to your studio one of these days! :)

showtime said:
what happens is this... the color temperature of the warm sunlight and the flash light is different. thus an orange gel is used over the flash to correct the color. thus, faithful white balance can be done on digital cameras...

this same technique i used when shooting in tungsten light... orange filter and wb set to tungesten... if a non filtered flash was used, the result will be wrong... blue to be precise.

the thing is a put a orange gel over the light, and everything turns orange! So i must WB after i put the gel, ok, i just packed everything..... will try to shoot the big items first with available sunlight, then i work on the flash... the last resort, call wk :confused: .

gd night ppl!

Belle&Sebastain said:
the thing is a put a orange gel over the light, and everything turns orange! So i must WB after i put the gel, ok, i just packed everything..... will try to shoot the big items first with available sunlight, then i work on the flash... the last resort, call wk :confused: .

gd night ppl!

not working, i'm using k5600 for now, i little pinky but the job is still going on.

i thought there will be others posting this morning but CS was down.

hahaha! tough luck on me.

30 items more to shoot. :)

there are many shades of orange gel..... use a very light one yah....

You may wanna try hot tungsten light since its product shoots and your "models" won't melt.... quite nice orange tone when you don't correct it. The flash and AWB will try to adjust it to white light. ;)

zekai said:
he is making do with his 550ex thats why

Ah.... i see... a little tough... you gotta trick the camera to think orangey is the color you want... if its a 20d maybe can try the new new white balance correction or the filter effects.... ;)

Zplus said:
Ah.... i see... a little tough... you gotta trick the camera to think orangey is the color you want... if its a 20d maybe can try the new new white balance correction or the filter effects.... ;)

the filter effects only for b/w right? if so, that will still be like using the orange gel or a fitler the effect is the same.

so i survive the shoot(hahaha) using two ex550 but boy i wasted 5 sets of batteries and they got so long to recharge!

still recharging the batteries as we speak :confused:

Belle&Sebastain said:
the filter effects only for b/w right? if so, that will still be like using the orange gel or a fitler the effect is the same.

so i survive the shoot(hahaha) using two ex550 but boy i wasted 5 sets of batteries and they got so long to recharge!

still recharging the batteries as we speak :confused:

Hmm... maybe I will try it out tonight and see how's the filter effects.

Heh! 5 sets is really a lot of batts! So did you get the sunlight effect?? Very curious to know. ;)

Zplus said:
Hmm... maybe I will try it out tonight and see how's the filter effects.

Heh! 5 sets is really a lot of batts! So did you get the sunlight effect?? Very curious to know. ;)

at 1/1 full power 1 set of batteries 2100 barely survived 70 shots, i was able to squeeze 100 shots with the 2300.

the result, i did not get what the master (WK) done but i manage to fake it off, but my creative director spent about 40 minutes choosing the photos, it was a big headache according to them, so many 'good' photos but only can put in 5-8 pictures in our mailer. :embrass:

once again i had raised the bar and pressure out do the last shoot. i certainly cannot pose any pictures here but if you want to see a sample of the works you can go to projectshop and sign up in the mailing list. all the model shots are done by Wee Khim, all the accessories, product shots are done by yours truely.

its a very good learning experince for me, styling, stuff bags, cracking my brains and muscles and having full control over the whole shoot. i really enjoyed the process and workout.

you be able to receive the mailer by December, for the past two years i have one way or the other involved in all the graphic and layout of all projectshop artworks. please let me know if you have any coments or critic, thanks for read this. :)

Pardon this suaku question, so what is the colour temperature of a normal camera flash?

Status
Not open for further replies.