How to turn pro?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimkim23

Sep 1, 2006
hi every1.i'm new here.
i thought of turning professional,i mean taking photography as a career.
wish to learn everything frm the very basic.can any1 recommand any sch tat offer classes in photgraphy?and ard how much buget is needed..thank u all..

kimkim23 said:
hi every1.i'm new here.
wish to learn everything frm the very basic.can any1 recommand any sch tat offer classes in photgraphy?and ard how much buget is needed..thank u all..

It's not easy to be professional or full timing.
If you're starting out, I'll advise you to just take it up as a hobby. Move slowly.

1) become an assistant and start frm scratch carrying bao bao...

2) get your own gears, go for courses, keep shooting shooting shooting, until when you find your ten/tens of thousands investment, hundreds hour of shoots, countless clicks of shutter, to worth a returns....

try hard.. nothing is impossible but sad.. this line is not as easy or maybe oso not as rewarding as many sees...

go for business studies course if you want to start your own studio

if you just want to work for someone
then just learn photography

go for the courses at Objectives Arts school.

and like ortega said, for studios u prolly need to have some business background, if nt u will go burst fast.;)

there is a course on diploma for digital photography, the course is like 10over K, so dun bother attending that. they give free d50 and laptop. which i think its a crap course. any of the pros here can conduct one course and its better and faster and more qualified then tat school. :thumbsd:

----------------

however u can start as hobby and move ur way up. but that takes time....

BUT having a DSLR does NOT make u pro also.. so in case u are thninking of that.. u better scrap that idea..

kimkim23 said:
hi every1.i'm new here.

Photography is not something u learn overnight. You need to create your own style...

You cant just pick it up straight away and become a 'pro' in the period of a few months. It takes years of refining your talent and building up your own style. To begin with, just take it up as a hobby, but some equipment, go on shoots, read books, and here in CS. It will give you a good base to work off of.

So, you want to be a pro?
great!

Like ortega says, to run photography as a business, with or without studio, you still need to learn business study. cos 80% of your time as a professional photographer is doing business, not shooting.

great photographer, great business man, you will be the top.

mediocre photographer, great business man, you still can make it.

great photographer, mediocre business man, well, you still can survive.

mediocre photographer, mediocre business man, game over!

no i wanted to turn pro when i was in the army.
i took a course in objectifs, one fellar there was nice enough to give me a job in hasselblad selling cameras.(but that got nothing to with turning pro haha)

then i mustered up enough guts to email my idol, my portfolio.
he set up an interview time and i showed him my lame portfolio.
i started working as an assitant earning 600 dollars a month doing more than i am paid.

life was very very very hard then, but i got to learn lighting and stuff from him.
now i am shooting my own shoots. and life is good...

Budget for commercial photographer.
hassleblad 503 cw +std lens 8k plus
wide angle 10 k
tele8k plus
p25 digital back 40kplus!!
laptop 6k
tripod +head 1.5k

u wanna start a studio in spore? i think half a mil

you want to turn pro?

tell yourself u got no other choice but to make photography your living.. no way out.

you HVE TO MAKE IT WORK..
and be very very brave.

good luck

1) Check if the press is hiring.
2) Check if National Geographic is hiring.
3) Check if Times is hiring.

I think it's always better to work as a professional photographer for an established organization than to be a work for hire. Then again, you will need a good portfolio, so time to build a portfolio first, then think about going pro.

deepcover said:

you want to turn pro?

tell yourself u got no other choice but to make photography your living.. no way out.

you HVE TO MAKE IT WORK..
and be very very brave.

good luck

yes, fully agreed.
remember to removed the safety net when you want to be a pro.

Enjoy photography as a hobby.
It is more rewarding this way.
If you really want to earn some $$$, do freelance while having a stable job.

Wish you the best of luck if you already set your mind.
Like any occupations, to be successful, you need hardwork, smartwork & passion
to keep going and becoming the best.

catchlights said:
Like ortega says, to run photography as a business, with or without studio, you still need to learn business study. cos 80% of your time as a professional photographer is doing business, not shooting.

great photographer, great business man, you will be the top.

mediocre photographer, great business man, you still can make it.

great photographer, mediocre business man, well, you still can survive.

mediocre photographer, mediocre business man, game over!

GREAT PHOTOGRAPHER, CLUELESS BUSINESS MAN, YOU ARE A DEAD DUCK!

shoot more learn more :thumbsup:

kimkim23 said:
hi every1.i'm new here.

Status
Not open for further replies.