how to test "sweet spot" of the lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ST_sg

Mar 23, 2004
sunnytang.zenfolio.com
Hi all,

As far as I know, "sweet spot" of the lens should refer to the best/sharpness quality you can get from the lens is its focal length + f/stop.

Care to share with us how to test it out?
Is the sweet spots varies from camera to camera eventhough using the same lens model/built? or only refer to the lens model itself?

say, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Super Macro II. what are their sweet spots :)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

ST_sg said:
Hi all,

As far as I know, "sweet spot" of the lens should refer to the best/sharpness quality you can get from the lens is its focal length + f/stop.

Care to share with us how to test it out?
Is the sweet spots varies from camera to camera eventhough using the same lens model/built? or only refer to the lens model itself?

say, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6, EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 70-300mm f/4-5.6 APO Super Macro II. what are their sweet spots :)

Thanks in advance.

Cheers!

The sweet spot depends on the lens not the camera.

To test the sweet spot (assuming you are using digital camera), take a same picture, preferable in controlled lighting environment, take the picture from from the lowest f/stop to the highest fstop (with relevence to the lighting too, for example if you take f/2.8 at 1/500, then f/4 at 1/250, f/5.6 at 1/125, f/8 at 1/60, f/11 at 1/30, f/16 at 1/15, f/22 at 1/8, f/32 at 1/4) then blow the picture up and see which f/stop give you the sharpest picture with the most contrast, thatis the sweet spot.

You want to know the sweet spot for your lens, test yourself.

I see. Btw, is the focal length a factor for the test?

say, EFS 18mm f/8 vs EFS 55mm f/8 ?

Thanks man :)

Yes it is....... but I can tell you it normally hover at the mid stop of your lens. If you have a f/2.8 lens the sweet spot will be around f/5.6 - f/11

For your lenses f8 should be about right. The focal length does matter esp. on your 70-300. It gives the best performance between 100-150. Generally performance is reduced at the extremes of focal length.

Status
Not open for further replies.