How to test out a new lens in the shop when we wanna buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kumhoo

Nov 2, 2008
Hi all, can share what is the skills and anyway to test out the lens when we wish to purchase any lens? How you know that is a sharp enuf copy? and what is more concern when we buying a lens? Sharpness and AF problem or others? :)

i believe this question has been asked before

Use the search function in future. many threads on this.
you can test at the shop, but i prefer 7 days walk in so i can slowly take my time to test it out, because you can truly see the problems when u upload the photos to a computer or laptop.

test the AF but setting to largest aperture, then take a picture of words with the camera lens tilted at 45 degrees to check if the focusing point is accurate.
sharpness wise, have to see sample pictures to roughly know what to expect of each individual lens i feel.

there are some very good guides giving detailed instructions.

this mainly applies to first hand lens too.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311048&highlight=check+lens

Use the search function in future. many threads on this.
you can test at the shop, but i prefer 7 days walk in so i can slowly take my time to test it out, because you can truly see the problems when u upload the photos to a computer or laptop.

test the AF but setting to largest aperture, then take a picture of words with the camera lens tilted at 45 degrees to check if the focusing point is accurate.
sharpness wise, have to see sample pictures to roughly know what to expect of each individual lens i feel.

there are some very good guides giving detailed instructions.

this mainly applies to first hand lens too.

http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311048&highlight=check+lens

Thanks for the info. :)

Cosmetics and smooth zooming aside which can be tested on the spot. There is only so much one can see from the images on the Camera LCD.

I find it more important to clarify about the exchange policy of the shop (sometimes 1 week) and then check the performance of the lens in outdoor shooting and computer screen in the comfort of 1 week.

check the back and front focusing... don't know what that is? check the previous threads.

If in a hurry, ask to test on a 5D2 / 50D. The hi-res new screen really helped me with my 70-200 yesterday. Shoot text on camera boxes or newspapers. First copy from CP was soft. 2nd and third were soft AND had CA problems. Went to John3:16, and their 2 copies didn't have CA problems, but one was softer than the other. I took the sharpest of the 5.

If in a hurry, ask to test on a 5D2 / 50D. The hi-res new screen really helped me with my 70-200 yesterday. Shoot text on camera boxes or newspapers. First copy from CP was soft. 2nd and third were soft AND had CA problems. Went to John3:16, and their 2 copies didn't have CA problems, but one was softer than the other. I took the sharpest of the 5.

How to see the pic is soft? Got any sample pic? Sorry, What is CA stand for?:)

anymore methods can use to test out the lens? But thanks for all brothers nice comments. Cheers :)

anymore methods can use to test out the lens? But thanks for all brothers nice comments. Cheers :)

Why do you need to know so many methods of checking lenses? Shouldn't you shoot some photos, gauge sharpness / detail on your screen and decide whether to buy it there and then?

That's troublesome, but, acceptable for a 2.5k lens. Imagine doing that when you are trying to buy a 50mm f1.8

That's troublesome, but, acceptable for a 2.5k lens. Imagine doing that when you are trying to buy a 50mm f1.8

Teehee. The shopkeeper would be wondering too.

Why do you need to know so many methods of checking lenses? Shouldn't you shoot some photos, gauge sharpness / detail on your screen and decide whether to buy it there and then?

Maybe there will got other better method to try out? So just ask for it. No harm done right?

Hi

One other thing.

For nikon VR lens, half-press the shutter. U shud hear some mechanical sound coming from the lens. It shud be a "repetitive revolving" kinda rythm.

Hi

One other thing.

For nikon VR lens, half-press the shutter. U shud hear some mechanical sound coming from the lens. It shud be a "repetitive revolving" kinda rythm.

I think canon IS also same like tat, my kit lens got this sound too, but need to put ur ear near to the lens just can hear it.. Thanks for sharing man.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.