how to test bad sector for microdrive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kho King

Jan 20, 2002
shashinki.com
how to test bad sector for microdrive? Plan to buy 2nd hand but don't know if it is a wise choice.

IBM 1GB.

i dun own a microdrive but my 1gb CF card had a badsector around the 50% mark.

i think you can only find bad sectors if you fire away and use the card to its full storage. if you are 'struck', cannot record, errors and so on then i think its a bad sector.

my CF card presented these problems consistently for 3 times all around the 50% mark even after format and full formating, its has been replaced since.

I would use a card reader and scan it just like a normal drive (in WinXP).

Belle&Sebastain said:
i dun own a microdrive but my 1gb CF card had a badsector around the 50% mark.

i think you can only find bad sectors if you fire away and use the card to its full storage. if you are 'struck', cannot record, errors and so on then i think its a bad sector.

my CF card presented these problems consistently for 3 times all around the 50% mark even after format and full formating, its has been replaced since.

CF cards do not have "sectors" like hard disk drives and microdrives, they are made up of memory chips.

You'd need to perform a thorough scan in Windows to spot and mark the bad sectors in your microdrive.

DeusExMachina said:
CF cards do not have "sectors" like hard disk drives and microdrives, they are made up of memory chips.

so my memory chips was 'faulty' at the mid mark, thks for pointing it out

DeusExMachina said:

CF cards DO have "sectors". In a hard disk drive, a sector is a portion of a track - in a solid state drive, the storage space is also divided into sectors (typically 512 bytes each).

Kho King said:
how to test bad sector for microdrive? Plan to buy 2nd hand but don't know if it is a wise choice.

IBM 1GB.

Get one with warranty if possible. Bring along a notebook to test out the drive before purchasing.

Also, get the later models (by Hitachi) - I got one myself. The later ones have been improved - they rotated the disk heads away from the connectors, which were one of the most common causes for disk failures.

imaginary_number said:
CF cards DO have "sectors". In a hard disk drive, a sector is a portion of a track - in a solid state drive, the storage space is also divided into sectors (typically 512 bytes each).

;) so that is where is goes wrong

Belle&Sebastain said:
;) so that is where is goes wrong

Btw, how long did your CF last before the bad sector issue came up? Was it mishandled often?

imaginary_number said:
Btw, how long did your CF last before the bad sector issue came up? Was it mishandled often?

i bought it since oct last year.

sometimes my card will have error 99 displayed if i do continuous shoot in highest jpeg.

also a problem happens if i format the card in 10D and i shoot it with D30. after reviewing a few times all images will be corrupted. now i keep seperate cards for either camera.

never mishanded anything before really expect my powerbook freak accident that left a 'scar' on my lcd screen.

Belle&Sebastain said:
i bought it since oct last year.

sometimes my card will have error 99 displayed if i do continuous shoot in highest jpeg.

also a problem happens if i format the card in 10D and i shoot it with D30. after reviewing a few times all images will be corrupted. now i keep seperate cards for either camera.

never mishanded anything before really expect my powerbook freak accident that left a 'scar' on my lcd screen.

Hmm... the accident must have damaged the card I suppose? 'coz it's not often that I hear of CFs having bad sectors.

imaginary_number said:
Hmm... the accident must have damaged the card I suppose? 'coz it's not often that I hear of CFs having bad sectors.

that what i think so too, my experience tells me otherwise

Status
Not open for further replies.