How to Tell the Difference Between a Legit Photographer and a GWC (Guy With a Camera)

Zzmaimai

Nov 18, 2009
http://www.ehow.com/how_4470752_legit-photographer-gwc-guy-camera.html

Not just anyone who picks up a camera can call themself a photographer. In the modeling industry, you should only work with those that are true professionals that can provide quality work for your portfolio. With a little know-how, you'll be able to tell the difference between a legit, reputable photographer and a wanna-be.

Never heard the term "GWC" before? Well, add it to your arsenal of model industry terminology. A GWC stands for "Guy With a Camera." Simply put, the GWC is a guy who spends a lot of money on a professional camera and somehow thinks he now qualifies to shoot with models. In the majority of cases, the GWC has no experience or practical training and simply wants to entice young and naïve aspiring models into taking pictures that are normally for private use and involve nudity or semi-nudity.

Please note: there are plenty of professional photographers who have established themselves without the use of formal training (college). These photographers do not fall under the GWC category for the simple fact that they either took some classes or taught themselves and now run their photography business successfully and actually study their craft. So don't get the two confused.

So how can you tell if you're dealing with a GWC? You'll simply have to do your homework and research each photographer you plan on working with. Because there are a variety of different photographer personalities, finding a GWC will vary from situation to situation.

First, ask for a link to their work/portfolio. This will be the most important factor in distinguishing a true photographer from a GWC. You want a photographer who has experience not only shooting models but with shooting the type of modeling you're interested in (fashion, commercial, editorial, etc.). If his portfolio doesn't showcase any of this work, is really poor quality, or if he doesn't even have a portfolio to show, move on. (Even if you aren't a photography expert, it is very easy to tell good photography from bad photography).

Some GWCs specialize in glamour photography, which they feel entitles them to shoot models in various stages of undress, implied nudity and Playboy style nudity. However, the GWC usually produces work that looks cheesy, doesn't utilize the true features of the camera, lighting, setup, etc. Be wary of a glamour photographer whose work mainly consists of models with backgrounds that are taken in a house/personal residence and not a studio or other professional quality background/setting.

Any legit photographer, glamour or otherwise, should have a good list of past clients they have worked with and names of models they can use as references. If the photographer in question is hesitant to provide such information or gets irritated, angry or upset, this is not someone you should be working with.

Many GWCs specifically ask for young models with no experience. Take these jobs at your own risk! The photographer may be looking for fresh faces but if he doesn't have a solid portfolio and list of past clients, he could just be looking for naïve girls to shoot that don't know any better.

If you're good about reading body language, you can usually tell if a guy is a GWC or a real photographer. If the guy doesn't really know how to use his camera, doesn't know the lingo for shooting, or doesn't have any kind of pro equipment to use, he could be a GWC.

Just because someone has a camera that costs thousands of dollars, that does not automatically make them a pro photographer! Network wisely and do your research on anyone interested in shooting with you. Safety first and remember, the GWC can't contribute to your portfolio of work...he's only in it for cheap thrills and to see how many girls he can get to take off their clothes. People like this do exist so be careful!

:) .. thanks for sharing, interesting articles and would be good for most aspiring models to note.... just for update, I'm a GWC but its some of its definitions .....:sweatsm:

Haha. Thanks for sharing. I think most people start off as GWC, but some have gone on to better things (e.g. running their photography business successfull) while others have chosen to keep improving but basically doing the same thing. My personal view is, nothing wrong with that either (I have banged my head enough times taking the same picture of CBD from Esplanade - in hope of getting a better pic and/or improving myself) except their choice of subject is different.

And of course, if there's ulterior motive in such shoots :embrass: disguised as photography, then it becomes a more serious problem.

Good post, bro ...:thumbsup:

think everyone started off as GWC . . . me too.

But i don't take those 'type' of shots. i don't believe in it.

Maybe for them GWV is better. (Guy with Video Cam)

i'm GWC (guy with camera/ Guy With Canon)

Anyway, everyone needs to start somewhere. And even portfolios needs to be built up slowly. Not everyone will be lucky enough to get the chance to fill it up with excellent shots the first time around and would need time and effort to build this slowly. :)

Anyway, everyone needs to start somewhere. And even portfolios needs to be built up slowly. Not everyone will be lucky enough to get the chance to fill it up with excellent shots the first time around and would need time and effort to build this slowly. :)

i agreed. We just need to be professional with our camera.
Can overuse (abuse) it but don't misuse it.

personally i do not like how people create the term GWC which defined as pervert.

To be fair, GWC (guy with camera), litteraly means guy who hold a camera regarless what he is shooting, the camera type, hobbyist, collector, or even prof. All actually belong to GWC, as long he is a guy and hold a camera.

that's why i find the article not as creditable ... i read it a few times... but not completely.. bcos i don't really agree 100% with it.. and hence there is some relunctant to read it..

yes i do agree that aspiring models should work with the best they can find... bcos they need a good portfolio to start with.... but i guess they will have to pay for it.. those good pg may not be willing to do tfcd for them... but who is born a good photographer? and does it mean one cannot improve over time?

newbie is face with lots of uncertainty... budget for equipment is already killing... so there is little budget to hire pro models and mua... i think it is wiser for newbie to do more tfcd first, else it is just wasting $ on studio, model hiring etc...

Let's just put it in the same Champagne/Sparkling Wine comparison.

All Professional Photogs are GWCs but not all GWCs are Professional Photogs.

It's a joke on the recent ad campaign by Canon in Thailand. Look for the Canon voyeur thread. :bsmilie:

Oh yes I saw that one.

Another basic way to tell if one is a GWC is to take a look at the mode dial. If it's at the green box on a 5DM2...

i recommend this to be moved to guides section and stickied. logical and fair, extremely helpful for models to judge what photographers they wanna do tfcd for.

think everyone started off as GWC . . . me too.

Simply put, the GWC is a guy who spends a lot of money on a professional camera and somehow thinks he now qualifies to shoot with models. In the majority of cases, the GWC has no experience or practical training and simply wants to entice young and naïve aspiring models into taking pictures that are normally for private use and involve nudity or semi-nudity.

nope, i never wanted to shoot any models.

there are people who claim aloud or to other people through conversation that they want to "try it out", proceed to try it out 5 times and still continue trying... can try for whole life.

i said it once or twice in passing to friends... 3 or 4 years on, i don't find any urge to shoot a girl who means nothing to me. :bsmilie:

Oh yes I saw that one.

Another basic way to tell if one is a GWC is to take a look at the mode dial. If it's at the green box on a 5DM2...

there are GWC with good technical knowledge.

they will sweet talk the girl, take liberties with them.. these are the more high level GWC, they have evolved to become a WWC (wolf with camera). :bsmilie: the wolf has unique paws to hold the camera well. :bsmilie:

Last edited: