How to Tell the Difference Between a Legit Photographer and a GWC (Guy With a Camera)

Anyway, everyone needs to start somewhere. And even portfolios needs to be built up slowly. Not everyone will be lucky enough to get the chance to fill it up with excellent shots the first time around and would need time and effort to build this slowly. :)

yes, that is for sure.

i think it is simple to tell the difference between someone who's really looking to build up a portfolio - there would be variety. there would be effort put into the shot. styling, lighting will be properly thought out, a mood is brought out. no one nails it right the first time, but i think it is pretty easy to judge what the purpose behind doing the shot is - whether it is for the person behind the camera to indulge in some model fantasy extravanganza or a bona fide attempt to create something that they can be proud of.

a gwc portfolio is simple, it either consists of skimpy outfits, or you will notice that the angles centre around the chest region, or revolve around the model giving come hither looks.

:bsmilie:

ok, i'm out of here before people start complaining that i have made the green tea joke again. :rolleyes: or tell me that i am making cocky, self-centred comments that involve the world revolving around me. :bsmilie:

Last edited:
yes, that is for sure.

i think it is simple to tell the difference between someone who's really looking to build up a portfolio - there would be variety. there would be effort put into the shot. styling, lighting will be properly thought out, a mood is brought out. no one nails it right the first time, but i think it is pretty easy to judge what the purpose behind doing the shot is - whether it is for the person behind the camera to indulge in some model fantasy extravanganza or a bona fide attempt to create something that they can be proud of.

a gwc portfolio is simple, it either consists of skimpy outfits, or you will notice that the angles centre around the chest region, or revolve around the model giving come hither looks.

I think these are good and valid points, and very objective ones. :thumbsup:

there are GWC with good technical knowledge.

they will sweet talk the girl, take liberties with them.. these are the more high level GWC, they have evolved to become a WWC (wolf with camera). :bsmilie: the wolf has unique paws to hold the camera well. :bsmilie:

Yup that's why I said it was a basic way :bsmilie: If auto mode is being used, either is a GWC or is a real PG who lent his cam to someone else and forgot to check the mode dial after that

:bsmilie:
this one definetly taken by GWC .. of all places he aims at the chest region :dunno:

12735545665i325l.jpg

The post is great!! Just one point strikes me, it say avoid people with no portfolio, so what if there's a guy that's genuinely interested in learning fashion shoots that's just starting out? He can't get a model in this case

this one definetly taken by GWC .. of all places he aims at the chest region :dunno:

12735545665i325l.jpg

Do you need to go to the extreme? We all know roughly what GWCs do, you need not literally get a cow picture to demonstrate his opinions. It is really childish and crazy. Or are you finding excuses for yourself to convince yourself that, hopefully your photography does not look GWC to anyone?

GWCs spoil professional photographers names, and potential models. Imagine a young naive girl who wants to turn professional but unfortunately meet the big bad wolves, who give them money - alot at times in exchange for sleazy and act cute poses, and treating them as divas. Corrupting them and giving them a mindset - look, this is what glamour photography is about. In actually fact, all the GWCs provide has little, in fact NO use at all to their (the potential model's) portfolio.

That is of course if the young girl is in it for the quick buck - that is another story altogether.

There used to be at least some professional standards around, indabadiday, deadpoet and a couple more. That is why none of them come to P&P anymore, because the audience for CS's P&P does not appreciate their works. They are all potential wolves.

Please note that I am not generalising the whole forum. It is only the P&P section that makes me cringe and peeved.

Not just anyone who picks up a camera can call themself a photographer.

:nono:Nah, a photographer is just one who takes photo. If you want to refer specifically, it is either a better photographer, a pro photographer who shoots for his ricebowl, a hobblist or enthusiast etc etc. I have a previous thread on questioning about what's a photographer. It is just not right to say youngsters who carries a camera running around shooting with interest even if they lack techinque and understand of their gears as wannabe with camera who doesn't knows a thing or GWC / KWC etc etc. Maybe someday down the road, you find good photos produced by them as a hobblist that is even better than yours while you are still having such mindset.

:nono:Nah, a photographer is just one who takes photo. If you want to refer specifically, it is either a better photographer, a pro photographer who shoots for his ricebowl, a hobblist or enthusiast etc etc. I have a previous thread on questioning about what's a photographer. It is just not right to say youngsters who carries a camera running around shooting with interest even if they lack techinque and understand of their gears as wannabe with camera who doesn't knows a thing or GWC / KWC etc etc. Maybe someday down the road, you find good photos produced by them as a hobblist that is even better than yours while you are still having such mindset.

as far as i see? the ones who struggle with equipments, aka the limitations and come from poorer families? they tend to do muchbetter. dun ask why. its just a trend amongst the youngsters.

as far as i see? the ones who struggle with equipments, aka the limitations and come from poorer families? they tend to do muchbetter. dun ask why. its just a trend amongst the youngsters.

I think it is because they find the need to improve their skill to take better photo rather than relying on costly equipments which they cannot afford. They don't mind experimenting with what they have just to get the result they want.

I learn lots of computer knowledge such as different type of rams and how computer parts work because I cannot afford a faster computer or send to a repairman when my computer is spoiled during my p5 time.:bsmilie:

Its a real shame you see it that way. So one who cooks is a cook. One who kicks a ball is a soccer player.

Mum??

a chef??

maid??

"Uncle 1 bak chor mee please!"... so uncle??

Sorry, I noob. Think I should try staying away from the kopitiam section in CS. I am a GWC, and life is too tough to stay around with all the photographers. Every photo regardless of good or bad taken by others is not a photographer to their photo.

Ya, what else do you call a person who cooks? :confused:

:think:... GWF ... Guy with Food... :lovegrin:, just kidding. Don't feel dejected with this GWC thingy. I have also self proclaimed to be a GWC and I shoot XMMs, Landscape, Macro, some Wild life and my loved ones too. Guess the only other way to create images without a cameller is to maybe draw or paint... then, there will be other terms like GWPB... Guy with Paint Brushes... :sweatsm:

P.S. - Oh.. I also need to explain the term BWC to my 10 yrs old son coz he also join me to shoot XMMs..... kekekekeke.. Boy with Cameller.

Last edited:
:sweat: i am using canon... how ? how?

mean that u r GWC lor...im abit difference,more powerfull.im GWCFS (guy with camera for show):cool:

I think it is because they find the need to improve their skill to take better photo rather than relying on costly equipments which they cannot afford. They don't mind experimenting with what they have just to get the result they want.

There's an old saying.. Necessity is the mother of Success. :thumbsup:

mean that u r GWC lor...im abit difference,more powerfull.im GWCFS (guy with camera for show):cool:

WOW that's cool ... this group (GWCFS) should bring thing such as leica, canon 5DmkII with L lens, or Nikon D3s.

;)

i don't find any urge to shoot a girl who means nothing to me. :bsmilie:

But it seems that you have a strong urge to shoot cats which probably means "nothing" to you? Unless all the cats you shot are your pets?

or is a cat lover more noble than a xmm lover?

Different pple have different preferences, or stuff that they are passionate with.

Some pple, like me, likes to shoot beautiful subjects, like flowers, clouds, rainbow, artifacts, jewelery, fireworks etc.. including models. Maybe the last entry would classify me as a GWC too. ;)

They may mean "nothing" to me.. or they could all mean something to me, in the sense that there are creations of mother nature or man-made masterpiece work of art/engineering.

Some pple, likes to shoot cats. Some pple likes to shoot dogs.

Some pple, likes to shoot pple. Young girls, young lady, old woman, old man etc..

If photographers are considered to be.. "perverted?" just bcoz they shoot models.. what makes a person who shoots cats?

but, if you're specifically referring to pple who shoot sleazy stuff and those trying to take liberties.. then those are different creatures which could be more of a moral issue.. then, my comments would be irreverent..

I'm comparing photographer who shoot model and photographers who shoot other subjects like cats. Not photographers who ask model to strip and make physical contact. Those, are of a different category.. and those.. are generally not acceptable in the community.