Status
Not open for further replies.

GilbertGoh

Aug 16, 2005
Singapore
sorry a newbie qn here.
how do i tell if a lens is sharp?
what is 100 chrop?

I'm quite a digital newbie so when I need to find out, what I do is Yahoo all the reviews on a particular lens I can find.

I like to find out not only about sharpness and contrast, but I find actual field reports more telling as this lets me how the lens handles and performs in real life, instead of just a lab setting.

Yahoo and Google are your best friends. ;)

I'm quite a digital newbie so when I need to find out, what I do is Yahoo all the reviews on a particular lens I can find.

I like to find out not only about sharpness and contrast, but I find actual field reports more telling as this lets me how the lens handles and performs in real life, instead of just a lab setting.

Yahoo and Google are your best friends. ;)

thanks, i meant if you already got the lens how you tell the lens is sharp?

thanks, i meant if you already got the lens how you tell the lens is sharp?

i think u can send it to the service centre.. if i got ur meaning correctly. i think they can recalibrate for u if it's not sharp.. :dunno:

i think u can send it to the service centre.. if i got ur meaning correctly. i think they can recalibrate for u if it's not sharp.. :dunno:

i think it should be that he wants to know how to assess a len's sharpness, since some reviews state that a certain lens is soft and some is sharp etc etc so the TS wants to know how to assess on his own to find out whether a lens is sharp or not.

i think it should be that he wants to know how to assess a len's sharpness, since some reviews state that a certain lens is soft and some is sharp etc etc so the TS wants to know how to assess on his own to find out whether a lens is sharp or not.

YAP that is wat i want to find out.

try f/8-f/16 with a rather fast shutter that does not cause handshake.

better still mount on tripod, mirror lock up, focus and shoot.

100% crop refers to expanding it to 100% and cropping the part that you focused on.

100% crop the picture and you can tell if its sharp anot..

try f/8-f/16 with a rather fast shutter that does not cause handshake.

better still mount on tripod, mirror lock up, focus and shoot.

100% crop refers to expanding it to 100% and cropping the part that you focused on.

100% crop the picture and you can tell if its sharp anot..

thanks a lot, you are a great help.

can anyone show me a 100% crop of a wide angle lens that is sharp?

imho..many lenses are sharp at f8-11.....

what exactly are u looking out for?

u want to know about sharpness unless u are comparing among 2 lenses....without a better one how to know yours is not sharp....usually when we say sharp or no sharp we refer to our application or comparing a different model or class...say 70-200 f2.8 vs 70-200 f2.8 IS.

In film u can use some of the tests mention by elfvin, for digital, difficult. Because the display medium is so many...like monitor, LCD, TV, papers (different type produce different photos also), ink used and the list goes on...

We usually go to www.photodo.com to have a rough idea then use it on the application we intend to use the lenses on. Hope that helps.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.