how to tell if a filter is good?

gardna

Apr 17, 2013
Singapore
i know this has been covered brand by brand but i was wondering lets say..

It is a filter you found and there is no brand, is there a objective way to test if it a good filter?

For example, Kenko makes really cheap filters, non coated (basically like a mirror if you look into it), to the ZETA series that is quite good.

I've seen some youtube videos that say that if you can see a green/purple/pretty much any colour besides white reflection off it, it is a decent filter. And as well as the amount of reflections.

Is that it? Any other way to tell without being biased by the brand?

Thanks =)

Last edited:
If you can see a sheen, it just means there is coating, but you donno its single coat or multi coat. Coating serves to reduce glare in less than ideal conditions, ie light shining into lens.

But an important thing is clarity of glass, if the glass is low grade, how many layers of coating also won't increase IQ and efficiency. The more transparent and light efficient the glass, the better.

There is not much way for the end user to tell. The rate of diminishing returns applies for this, in other words you pay a high premium for a small fraction of improvement. I find the best deals from Hoya HMC series. Naked eye common user no different between this $20 filter vs a $220 high end one. Of course people who spend the money will tell you got different to feel better.

But know that you save a lot of money and if the scene is really pretty and top quality is utmost important, unscrew the bloody filter for that shot, no filter equals to best filter.

Last edited:
What you can see on the final images is more important than what you can see on the filter itself.
If you can't tell the differences, any filter goes.

icic thanks for the prompt reply

Last edited:
Long story short.
No uv filter is the best.

But if you want to get 1. Then get 1 that is slim and have multi coating.