How to tell Grey or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndyC

Feb 5, 2007
inside Bedok Res
Hi there,

I was quoted $180 for BG-E3 Canon 400D battery grip by a 'reputable' shop but some other shop quoted me $268 and told me the $180 one is 'Grey" stock. How to tell on the spot without checking with Canon?

Thanks!

other CSers, pls correct me if i'm wrong but u can usually tell if something is a 'grey' set by thr type of warranty offered with the product.

other CSers, pls correct me if i'm wrong but u can usually tell if something is a 'grey' set by thr type of warranty offered with the product.

so i would need to check the wty card that comes with the package? if no wty card means must be grey or something is wrong? is the serial number printed on the wty card to prevent alterations?

so i would need to check the wty card that comes with the package? if no wty card means must be grey or something is wrong? is the serial number printed on the wty card to prevent alterations?

no, serial number usually not on the warranty card. but the shop should stamp on it.

some will write the serial number on the invoice, of cos not for everything. battery grip i'm not sure. but for camera body, yes

what i heard from one shop is that they will not give you printed receipt and NEVER will write the serial number on the receipt for grey stocks. this is to prevent canon from sueing them for selling "fake" stuff...is this true? could this be the only way to ensure? wat if the item dun come with wty card?

what i heard from one shop is that they will not give you printed receipt and NEVER will write the serial number on the receipt for grey stocks. this is to prevent canon from sueing them for selling "fake" stuff...is this true? could this be the only way to ensure? wat if the item dun come with wty card?

if that is the case, that should be made known to canon and let canon take the necessary actions if they want. dun stick out your own head without hard concrete evidence and ending up being maligned by the shop.

Hi there,

I was quoted $180 for BG-E3 Canon 400D battery grip by a 'reputable' shop but some other shop quoted me $268 and told me the $180 one is 'Grey" stock. How to tell on the spot without checking with Canon?

Thanks!

can pm me whats shop is that? so far whats the lowest price u can find?

grip has no warranty. just buy the cheapest u can find. better still, get a 3rd partyone from online

Im not sure... but the tamron i got from TCW comes with receipt, just no warranty card... but on the receipt they wrote down 1yr shop warranty. ;)

Im not sure... but the tamron i got from TCW comes with receipt, just no warranty card... but on the receipt they wrote down 1yr shop warranty. ;)

you probably got a grey set. is it significantly cheaper?

you probably got a grey set. is it significantly cheaper?
yup, i know its grey before hand... nope for that particular lens its not significant cheaper... but at least i got a sharp copy. :sweat:

yup, i know its grey before hand... nope for that particular lens its not significant cheaper... but at least i got a sharp copy. :sweat:

but if it didn't give you intrinsic failure within a year already, then no difference. sometimes get original within a year, warranty may still not cover the more common problems, cracks or external portions drop out.

but if it didn't give you intrinsic failure within a year already, then no difference. sometimes get original within a year, warranty may still not cover the more common problems, cracks or external portions drop out.
yup, but actually for tamron i believe its a total of 3yr (local+international total up) :bsmilie:

Hi there,

Thanks!

While I was looking for the Nikon's MC-DC 1 remote, that was a shop (no the usual reputable ones) quote me $69 (as compare to the $38) with immediate stock, just because there is a shortage of this assy in the market.

$268 for a BG-E3 is definitely way too expensive. My buddy was quoted abt $185 at 2 reputable shops. Those that quote you higher will always tell you that the cheaper ones are "grey" sets so as to justify themself selling you at a higher price. Trust me the price difference amongst the reputable shops are quite close depending on the shop location(which is their overheads cost as well as the manufaturer controlled selling price).

While I was looking for the Nikon's MC-DC 1 remote, that was a shop (no the usual reputable ones) quote me $69 (as compare to the $38) with immediate stock, just because there is a shortage of this assy in the market.

$268 for a BG-E3 is definitely way too expensive. My buddy was quoted abt $185 at 2 reputable shops. Those that quote you higher will always tell you that the cheaper ones are "grey" sets so as to justify themself selling you at a higher price. Trust me the price difference amongst the reputable shops are quite close depending on the shop location(which is their overheads cost as well as the manufaturer controlled selling price).

agree with u. if they dun say others selling grey stock he dun have a reason to sell mi so much more ex right? most shops i asked quoted mi $180 (or $169 + 5% GST = $177) actually, reputable or not.

i believe you can post the name of the shop that quoted you 268, as long as you and the others dun dwell further in further offensive remarks, things should be very safe. think it would be good for everyone to know which shop quoted that price.

alright...the shop is Edison outside the main building itself, on the side at the bridge going over to OG. it's the same shop that sold mi the Sigma 28-300 @ $650.

Status
Not open for further replies.