How to tell from the specs that your camera is a FF or Crop?

raccoon80

Jul 10, 2009
Choa Chu Kang
I've got myself a new 50D but I do not know how to tell if it's a FF or Crop..any seniors can teach?:embrass:

Canon 50D has a focal length multiplier of 1.6x.

Did you bother to read your manual? There is also the information on the box, on the canon website, in the 1001 reviews online... and you actually bought a camera without knowing anything about it? No research??

Oh, and to answer your question, please see the spec on Canon website. Click the "Specifications" tab, under "Type, Compatible Lenses", it says "35mm-equivalent focal length is approx. 1.6x the lens focal length". That is the crop factor you're looking for.

It's probably one of those situations when one decides to just go out and get a DSLR: "wowed by a XXD, impressed, get it"... then deciding to do a search on the internet on how good (or bad) it is, AND THEN discovering that there's such thing as a Full Frame camera...

Probably not the first as well. :bsmilie:

No worries, 50D is NOT a full-frame, not even the highly advertised 7D using Ken Watanabe to promote it... unless you get 5D or 1D. Did my research way before I've decided on my DSLR - which I still haven't even purchased yet... :bsmilie:

Welcome to CS, fret not, 50D isn't too bad of a camera after all, full-frame or not (full-frame doesn't always win all situations either)...

I've got myself a new 50D but I do not know how to tell if it's a FF or Crop..any seniors can teach?:embrass:

Hi raccoon. Which weasel sold you this camera?

Firstly, let me :mad2:

Secondly, you got an APS-C camera.

HTH.

Cheers!

Hi raccoon. Which weasel sold you this camera?

Firstly, let me :mad2:

Secondly, you got an APS-C camera.

HTH.

Cheers!
aiya..just can blame myself for not understanding all the terms in photography nah...still trying to learn here from all seniors..

Anyway, what's APS-C and HTH??

APS-C is the nomenclature for the size of the image sensor used on your camera. All cameras with such a size of sensor (or approximating it) are loosely known as APS-C cameras.

HTH = hope that helps

raccoon80, you really so loaded that you bought a 50D and 17-55 f/2.8 (at least $3K combo) without really knowing what you need?

heheheh quite fortunate :)

yes yes,....and you are too lazy to even google it?
btw...
http://tinyurl.com/26vpnbe
Looked thru canon website,magazines and even all these forums..but sometimes still don't understand unless my fren explained to me..

I'm more to the hands-on type..need to see for myself then will know type lar..haizz..

raccoon80, you really so loaded that you bought a 50D and 17-55 f/2.8 (at least $3K combo) without really knowing what you need?

bro, i knew a friend recently who bought D3s with the trinity lens but still thinking of how and what to use it for.. :sweat:

APS-C is the nomenclature for the size of the image sensor used on your camera. All cameras with such a size of sensor (or approximating it) are loosely known as APS-C cameras.

HTH = hope that helps
thanks so much :)

I heard many gd things of 50D and this lens..I tried my dad's 1000D and got hooked onto DSLR...

If u ask me 500D or 550D, I don't want bcos I don't want to take video. I like taking photos..

From a PnS to a 1000D...now i want something of my own..so got this combo :)

Back in the old days, it's like buying a Ferrari and then... "urm, what's a stick shift?" :bsmilie:

Sorry dude, sorry to rub it in like that. Is there still time to go back and upgrade to a 5D at least? I think some retailers wouldn't mind doing that - extra bucks to make anyway?

bro, i knew a friend recently who bought D3s with the trinity lens but still thinking of how and what to use it for.. :sweat:

Easy, put it into a nice shinny cabinet, on a pedestal with multiple spot lights on it...there! Instant show piece! :bsmilie:

Looked thru canon website,magazines and even all these forums..but sometimes still don't understand unless my fren explained to me..

I'm more to the hands-on type..need to see for myself then will know type lar..haizz..

:bsmilie: Type "crop sensor camera" into google or youtube and you will get many explanations. Alot are simplified and easy to understand.

You will even come across the term "APS-C" which you can again input into google for a detailed explanation.

You can also try "50d crop" in google and you will get this result

Full frame vs crop: 5D vs 50D: Canon EOS 7D / 50D - 10D Forum ...
11 Oct 2008 ... There is absolutely no advantage with a cropped sensor.
forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1019... - Cached - Similar

which i think the title pretty much answer your question?

Recently saw a gentleman at canon digilab asking the personal there, can you recommend me a semi-pro body. But from the question he ask, can tell that he have very limited knowledge on photography.

Sound like $$$ seem to be no object to most people nowadays, hence to them getting the best in the market would "guarantee" a great shot... :think: