How to take????

Status
Not open for further replies.

snemeis

Nov 17, 2004
Hi all

I have came across a picture in my coy's Annual Report which show the subject sitting clear and the rest of the people running around the subject blur, I dont think any filters are being used.

The picture was taken in our D&D and I cant post the picture since i dont have the permission of the photographer, so would very much appreciate if anyone who have taken such a shot, kindly share/advise the technique. Thank you very much :)

subject sitting still, people walking, slow shutter (usu auto due to D&D low light environment) bingo. Unless ur referring to bokeh.

dennisc said:
subject sitting still, people walking, slow shutter (usu auto due to D&D low light environment) bingo. Unless ur referring to bokeh.

Thanks, whats the recommended shutter speed? Also what is a "bokeh". Thanks again.

Hmm depends on how fast the people are moving I guess. But I think the photographer took it without the intention of achieving such an effect.

The subject must remain absolutely still, no flash should be used, just let the crowd walk/do their stuffs. The D&D environment should be dark enough to auto trigger a slow enough shutter, dont bother. My guess maybe 1/20 - 1/4 sec (depends on ur lens). So bottomline is to set a low iso like 100, stay still, and snap.

Or, U can use the flash too, slow sync, stay still bingo.

Needs a v steady hand though. For me I dont have 1 haha.

snemeis said:
Hi all

I have came across a picture in my coy's Annual Report which show the subject sitting clear and the rest of the people running around the subject blur, I dont think any filters are being used.

The picture was taken in our D&D and I cant post the picture since i dont have the permission of the photographer, so would very much appreciate if anyone who have taken such a shot, kindly share/advise the technique. Thank you very much :)

If it is your company D&D, and the photographer was working for your company on photo assignment, then your company has every right to use the photos. And to post them here.

It is like you are saying, Mr A works for XYZ newspaper as a photographer. He takes a picture for the company. The XYZ newspaper company is afraid to use the photo because they do not have Mr A's permission.

How can that be ?

Thanks for the advise, will try them out.

Well the photographer is not too keen for me to post the picture nor share with me the technique.

FYI...the "great" photographer is not a local so cannot "chiam siong", in his email he quoted Intellectual Property

thanks again. good thing in SG we have CS! :thumbsup:

snemeis said:
Hi all

Photographer probably used slow shutter or rear curtain sync ie. the shutter was used to match the dim hall lights which would call for a relatively low shutter speed. Flash was then used to freeze the subject sitting.
The actual intention for synchronising flash with a slow shutter speed is to be able to get the actual atmosphere of the surrounding while maintaining a correct exposure of the subject = more natural

i'd think rear curtain flash + slow shutter + tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.