how to take wedding photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

angel82

Jul 8, 2007
Dear all, may i know how to take wedding photo? I just bought a flash to prepare for my brother weeding, but i still got some pressure coz dunno where to start. Hope you guy can share some experience with me. Thanks ;)

I don't know how to teach someone how to take wedding photos in one paragraph, or even one page, so I'll suggest this:

R-E-A-D. And GOOGLE / Youtube.

As much as you can. As quickly as you can.

No, I'm not being sarcastic. Serious. ;)

Will you be the main photographer, or a second?

Dear all, may i know how to take wedding photo? I just bought a flash to prepare for my brother weeding, but i still got some pressure coz dunno where to start. Hope you guy can share some experience with me. Thanks ;)

i suggest u ask him to employ a wedding photographer as a main & u jus be there to shoot freely (2nd photographer) then u wont have de pressure..trust me..its once a life time photos..dis type of cost cannot save de..

its very very hard to explain everytin in here..how to take wedding pics?? hmmm its has to be many many yrs of exprience.. not by jus write it down here..hope u understand.

good luck!

But it is true that the best way to learn is from mistakes.

Take your time to look through the Wedding Portfolios section. Im no expert but by roughly looking at the pics taken by wedding photographers you would know what pics to take and what to expect. Jus my 2 cents ;)

Someone's biggest day in their lives (and hopefully the only one) is not exactly the time and place to use as a learning ground.

I know I wouldn't want it on my conscience.

As the old saying goes: There's a time and place for everything.

Angle, I 'sense' you're a total newbie at photography, so I'll suggest again, google and youtube 'Wedding photography', 'how to take wedding photos' 'what to look out for when photographing a wedding', 'how to plan when shooting a wedding', 'wedding photography for beginners', 'secrets of wedding photography' and so on ... after you google 'basics of photography' and 'how to use your Pentax DSLR' and 'basics of flash photography'.

All the best.

Last edited:
if u going as secondary photog, just enjoy
if as a main..suggest u quickly seek help.
yr gear setup isn't exactly the type camera that can cope well.... especially in low light and flash photography.

Thanks guy. Just discuss with my bro this morning, he will employ a guy to take video. For photo taking, he will let me try. He won't complain if photo not nice.;p won't feel pressure liao. haha.. But i'll try to search some info from goggle and youtube too. Thanks ;)

Thanks guy. Just discuss with my bro this morning, he will employ a guy to take video. For photo taking, he will let me try. He won't complain if photo not nice.;p won't feel pressure liao. haha.. But i'll try to search some info from goggle and youtube too. Thanks ;)

Still think he should hire a photographer :think:

Just my 2 cents :)

this is one question which NOBODY can answer you.

it's answer is sooooooo vast that if anyone can provide you an answer here, everybody would have been a professional wedding photog.

it's not easy shooting weddings and you learn it through experience.

My advise, hire one to do the job, he will not regret, imagine his wife complain then how are u going to answer??

It may damage the relationship with them and not worth it. It will happen worse if ur brother defend u, and u know........the wife may use this reason to find abit trouble here and there in the future.

If u will face them the rest of ur live, better get some one to do.

Not to discourage, but speaking from experience, i never handle my own relatives and friends weddings cos i know keeping a good relationships is far more important.

Have seem my cousin's parents complaining to my parents abt the poor job the other relative take for them, so i sigh.....want free and goodies and still complain.

Anyway, up to u to decide.

Same as any other photo. With a camera, lens, flash and creative eye.

Photographic Soc of S'pore and Ricebowl do conduct Wedding Photography courses (I think both same instructor). That's a good starting point.

Important point to note (means die-die cannot forget): If got another pro around, make sure you don't get in his way or get in his shot. What he shoot, you shoot something else. Don't fight for the same space or try to copy everything he does. If you don't co-operate, he cannot do his job, get irritated, and most probably you won't learn anything also.

Observe from a distance. But when got downtime, you may approach him and politely ask for advice.

Good luck.

But it is true that the best way to learn is from mistakes.

I suggest that you don't go bungee jumping or skydiving. ;p

Just one word..."ENJOY"!

Since it's your brother's wedding, then all the more you must enjoy the whole process. Be involved with the people around you. Look for people's joyful expressions. You may be tempted to get people to posed for photographs...don't. Go natural. Go with the flow. Relax. Smile.

Besides shooting people, also look for objects of interest - the shoe, lace, flowers, kids, etc.

Preparations: 1. Know you camera's functions inside out. 2. Practice shooting people as much as you can. 3. Find out what kind of pics your bro+wife like (no harm shooting a few to make them happy).

Cool?

I'd prefer to used lens with small aperture such as like 1.2...

Hi,

You can go read up on the Internet and look around at the shots done by others. It's not as difficult as you think (we're not talking about producing extremely high quality images, just good ones), assuming you already have the techinical expertise on how to take pictures in general. Unfortunately, you didn't state how well versed you are in photography so it's hard for us to advise much.

Since your bro really doesn't mind the final quality of the images, then really, don't bother looking for a paid photographer and waste your $. You also won't feel so pressurized.

There are couples I know who simply want a record of the day's event, never mind if it's something once in a lifetime, like wedding. And they will get their friends or relatives to do it without any complaints. I have done for my friends and they were happy with the results too.

My brother employed a professional photographer to do his wedding and paid thousands of $, thinking that the final images will be great. But in the end, it turned out disappointing. Too bad, bcos maybe also that my bro is an avid photographer himself who knows the in and out of photography. So hopefully, by relating this story, I am giving you that bit more confidence that you can do it too!

The advantage of helping your brother take the pictures (assuming you do have a sound experience in photography) is there will be a sense of "closeness" and you can take wherever they want, whenever you want, without worrying about going beyond certain time limits, or being charged extra. It's fun, trust me! The downside is, you may not get to enjoy the food on that day or look at the event as a guest. It can get a bit tiring too.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
I suggest that you practice until you are able to use the external flash well.
Then on the actual day, bring lot of battery & memory card to standby.
Shoot as many pictures as possible, to capture most of the moments.
(While remember to let the external flash "rest" in between the shots, if not the flash will be exhausted during the impt moments.)

Though I am not a pro and only covered 2 events for my relative...I hope some of my tips here is useful.

I assume you are quite comfortable and confident with your equipment and skill set...if not, use the sweet aperture your cam/lens perform best to make sure every shots will turn out sharp, use raw if you scared the white balance hare wire....the rest is up to your composition and post process skill liao :lovegrin:

If I am you in your shoe, I am more worried on story telling, so I will start drafting a story board on the entire wedding event.....plan what you are going to shoot and what people are interested....some before and after the event shots are good for introduction and conclusion of your series...viewer will be drawn into your story since some scene are not accessible by them......A quick start maybe referring to some of the very nice wedding photos series that some forumers here posted before.....Also you must have an idea on each scene, how many shots you going to spend...I made a mistake previously where I spend too much time on tea ceremony and wedding dinner...at the end my audience all fall a sleep when I play back....I realized people are more interested in small details like outdoor take and candids, so you might want to emphasis on this if you think this will work in your scenario....and finally...be commanding...never shy to ask and tell your subject to post for you....you will be surprise how they might turn out :thumbsup:

Get the itinerary for a start.
So u can plan where u want to be and at what time, so you would not miss those moments.
External Flash is a must unless u got those f2.8 lens, though i think even with them flash would be good too.

Other than that, have fun!

I used 50mm F1.4 during a wedding dinner before, works wonder even without flash, but have to be careful with the depth of view though =p

Cheers!

;p

Status
Not open for further replies.