How to take the moon?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NiVleK

May 15, 2003
Jurong West
daddy.nivlek.per.sg
Just now, I saw a big egg yolk just outside my window. Of course, I set up my tripod and tried to take some photos of it. After that, I realise that I can really expose the moon properly. If I wanna expose the moon properly, the clouds will be underexposed and if I wanna expose the clouds the moon will be overexposed. Then I realised that moon also can cause flare? :sweat:

Whats the correct way of taking a shot of the big round moon?

spot meter on the moon then compensate +2? :dunno: dunno lei

NiVleK said:
Just now, I saw a big egg yolk just outside my window. Of course, I set up my tripod and tried to take some photos of it. After that, I realise that I can really expose the moon properly. If I wanna expose the moon properly, the clouds will be underexposed and if I wanna expose the clouds the moon will be overexposed. Then I realised that moon also can cause flare? :sweat:

Whats the correct way of taking a shot of the big round moon?

Then difference in brightness level between the moon and the surrounding night sky is way too much to be caught in a single frame. Just like those extreme backlit scenes or bright neon lights at night scenario. You either meter for the moon or the clouds. i think if you attempt to meter in between, both won't come out right.

You can try software blending - take one for moon, one for clouds, and stitch together in software.

The flare part: try removing the UV filter in front - that might be the cause. If it's the lens, try putting the moon at diff positions in the frame. Some positions will cause less flare. If poss, try using a prime instead of a zoom; potentially less flare-prone.

spot meter the moon and bracket your exposure wildly! :D

One question, what lens is suggested for such shot??

i sorta got info somewhere that you cannot open the shutter too long, or the moon will appear oblong.

Can anyone tell me what is the maximum time i can leave on the shutter?

Stefen said:
i sorta got info somewhere that you cannot open the shutter too long, or the moon will appear oblong.

Can anyone tell me what is the maximum time i can leave on the shutter?
from what i've tried, even with the smallest of apertures, i couldn't use anything longer than 1/40 or so else the moon will be overexposed.

wacko said:
from what i've tried, even with the smallest of apertures, i couldn't use anything longer than 1/40 or so else the moon will be overexposed.

Actually, it depends on the brightness of the moon & dust/cloud in the sky. Sometimes, under a clear blue sky in the evening around 6 plus, you could see the moon.

ivor said:
One question, what lens is suggested for such shot??

As much zoom as you can get.

If you have coolpix and a telescope, it would even be better.

etx_90ra_08.jpg

For a full moon, since it is light be the sun directly, Sunny 16 would work.

I think for a half moon you could apply a Moony 8, i.e. f/8 at 1/film speed. So using 100 ISO film, expose a half moon at f/* 1/125.

chgoh

er....

so if you take such shutter speeds as mentioned, wouldn't the rest of the skyline/scenery be underexposed?

how to do it then?

or is this just about framing the moon?

I was wondering why moon is yellowish in color and others managed to take it grayish. Is it possible to take in grayish? Or they used PS to desaturate the colors.

taker said:
As much zoom as you can get.

If you have coolpix and a telescope, it would even be better.

Where can you get the adaptor to connect the coolpix to
the telescope?

frisky said:
Where can you get the adaptor to connect the coolpix to
the telescope?

my moon pix.
1/4sec exposure. Which i think is too long.

I got a friend who takes picture of sky for study purposes. He roughly told me what he did was to take multiple shots of the sky at ridiculously underexposed settings, and then stitch them togethe with a software (which is a freeware). Hence whenever any part is going to be overexposed, he can do something abt it, and he do not suffer much from CCD noise. And CCD noise can look like another star in the pix.

I do not know how he overcome the problem that the earth is rotating all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.