How to take street candids.

ssbcc

Mar 14, 2012
Hi, started this thread hoping to get some pointers from the pros on how to take street candid shots. What setup you use. What exposure mode. How to compose etc.
Hope to get some pointers as well as a good discussion going.

No need to get a good discussion going as this has already been discussed to death.

Just do a search for "street photography" and start reading.

To make things simple... The setup that I use,

1) Camera (any type, even my mobile phone camera came to good use).
2) Umbrella
3) Water bottle with water
4) Money for more water and sometime food

I walk on the street with camera in hand, see something interesting, take a shot. And thats it. As to how to compose? It came with experience, shoot more, put in your computer, see which composition work for you and learn from there.

As to what is the exposure value, aperture value, etc etc... no one can tell you, because different situation calls for different setting... and when all else failed, use 'Auto' mode.

discussed too much already.. you can find books.. or search online.. but end of the day. Its very personal and really up to individual. Like many other genre. There is no magic settings, setup or gear.. go out shoot more and slowly..you should know what suits you. In any case. Safety first and yea..keep yourself hydrated. :)

what's your camera setup like (lens, etc), what kind of looks you intend to achieve? So many different styles around but I feel shooting street it's good let loose and take it easy, can see things people usually don't notice, rather than trying to achieve that perfect look as in portraits or landscape. That's what I feel lah.

Last edited:
Hi, started this thread hoping to get some pointers from the pros on how to take street candid shots. What setup you use. What exposure mode. How to compose etc.

How about going for a course? Paying money always seem to focus the mind.

How about going for a course? Paying money always seem to focus the mind.

That's the worst, because then you will only learn the instructor's style and not develop your own.

If you dunno the setup, exposure and composition..... then you're better of learning other forms first.

Street photography is on the spur, the instant. You do not have time to think about this or that. Just frame up and shoot. It's more of a reflex for most of the street shooters.

Go look at the examples of the other photogs. You'll see that it all falls into place or for some you plan for it to happen... If you think that a certain element will move into the frame at a certain moment, wait and snap at exactly the moment. There is no chance for one to hold the camera up in your face and that the subject will not notice what you are doing. They will freeze or turn away from your camera focal point.

Nay.... don't worry too much of those thing, worry too much make u think of giving up:)
Just load ur weapon go out and hunt!
There is no hunter a sharp shooter at the beginning, they have to hunt more
& study their preys...the more hunter hunt the more they know..either is going to aim & wait for their preys, follow their preys, stealthy hunt, face to face shoot & etc
slowly u will get improve & u will find What setting suit ur shooting style:D

I love street shooting, is like nvr ending shooting.lol
If not because of my injured knee, I'll be shooting like crazy all day long on the street.lol.
I've been shooting on street for quite sometime already but never get much improve .lol (i dont mind)
but The most important to me is I enjoy street photography.:)

Dont forget to share ur photo ya;)
cheerssssss!

Last edited:
Equipment asides, i think one need to know how to spot or anticipate a spontaneous moment (better still if it is human-related and not just still objects). Personally, I think the anticipation is quite important because some moments/events happen in split seconds and may never happen again. Therefore, shoot-what-you-see technique may not work well in these cases.

Nevertheless, the more you shoot, the more you learn, the better you are!

That's the worst, because then you will only learn the instructor's style and not develop your own.

Probably that will depend on how the lessons are being conducted. There are always good and lousy teachers.

Please give the TS some credit that he/she can develop his/her own style as he/she progress.

Stare less at camera and more at the street (composing in your head)
either be very familiar with your camera or set it to an auto/semi auto mode.

Press button.

if u watch Kai from Digitalrev tv at youtube..when he wanna shoot a pic say someone at the streets..he keh keh pan his camera as if going to shoot other stuff..then quickly snaps his target.

maybe u can try that.

... or you can walk up to your subject and ask if he/she allows you to take a photo of him/her.

... or you can walk up to your subject and ask if he/she allows you to take a photo of him/her.

Well then it's not candid...

same like learning swimming, you can't read books or watch video to learn how to swim, and you don't need to know what are the best swimming trunks, just need to jump into the swimming pool and start learning.

So just use what you have now and hit the street,

f8 and be there