how to take street candid without ended up in the hospital?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hairi

Sep 24, 2007
i've seen alotsa of beautiful street candid shots but do the photographer had any confrontation by the public before? Is it legal to take people photo without their consent? Are we suppose to pay them if we want them to pose for us? Care to share any bad experience?

A few ways around it...

either use wide angle and shoot from the hips (like rangefinder)
or long lens and snipe...

else have thick skin and go up to them, shoot liao, smile at them and quickly walk off... ;)

i've seen alotsa of beautiful street candid shots but do the photographer had any confrontation by the public before? Is it legal to take people photo without their consent? Are we suppose to pay them if we want them to pose for us? Care to share any bad experience?

use a telephoto and shoot them.. if they notice juz give them a smile.. if they mind and walk over to confront u, juz respect their decision and delete the photo in front of them.. they have the right not to be shot.. if they still !@#$ than explain and chao loh.. lol.. this is wat i will do la...:p

Imagine after u take a photo of them and they chase you a few streets to ask you delete the photos you taken. LOL
Is there any way, people will not notices you holding a camera?
Eg. Hide Camera under newspaper?

i have nvr been confronted before. i use a various of styles like describe earlier. usually telephoto to get a more distant feel from the subjects and wide angle to get a in your face feel. sometimes i bring my manual camera out and it takes an awful long time to manually focus and sometimes they do shun away. but nvr been confronted before and i will not delete away pics because its a public place. so i can do what i want. :D

Imagine after u take a photo of them and they chase you a few streets to ask you delete the photos you taken. LOL

this is not too good lah, very suspicious and intimidating!

i have nvr been confronted before. i use a various of styles like describe earlier. usually telephoto to get a more distant feel from the subjects and wide angle to get a in your face feel. sometimes i bring my manual camera out and it takes an awful long time to manually focus and sometimes they do shun away. but nvr been confronted before and i will not delete away pics because its a public place. so i can do what i want. :D

so wat lens will u recommend to take the telephoto shots...?

so wat lens will u recommend to take the telephoto shots...?

Any focal length that gives you enough space between the subject and you. For me, I'll prefer the 70-200 range.

Lets list down for him
- use telephoto
- wide angle lens
- thick skin can be useful
- shoot from the hip
- good pair of running shoes
- stamina [to run if necessary]
- skills, self defence skills; photography skills
- a wide smile
- blend in with the crowd
- ???

:bsmilie:

Seems like its still safe to take street candid in singapore huh? ;)

I had an experience in bali. I saw 2 kids, very cute. So I took out my camera and shoot them. They even give me a cute pose. But just after I snap, they ask for $$$, I was really shocked. I just grab wat ever from my pocket and go away before anymore kids come and asking for $$$...

I thk I must start to practise taking shoot from the hip and build my stamina.... hahhaha

oh no. don't do that. that'll increase the chance of you landing up in the hospital :bsmilie:

sneaking around is bad.

be bold and confident.

then, ppl will know u are a serious photographer and not a crook.

in May, i went to shoot the bugis hawker center that is now under renovation. was "confronted" by the informal security guard there,

"wat u shooting? the hawkers ahh?"

"no lah, tis place renovating soon. i come to record"

"good. good. continue shooting"

i'll just snap and smile after that. either that, or take it behind their backs.

IMG_5737.jpg

haha[=

and if you're daring enough, compliment them.
they'll understand why you took the pic.

i'll just snap and smile after that. either that, or take it behind their backs.

IMG_5737.jpg

haha[=

and if you're daring enough, compliment them.
they'll understand why you took the pic.

Nice seyy. :)

but nvr been confronted before and i will not delete away pics because its a public place. so i can do what i want. :D

You must be one of those who wouldn't mind others taking a shot of you digging your nose (or whatever action you consider embarrassing) in public...

Even if not legally in the wrong, it's still good to respect other's wishes not be to photographed, whatever their reason may be.

You must be one of those who wouldn't mind others taking a shot of you digging your nose (or whatever action you consider embarrassing) in public...

Even if not legally in the wrong, it's still good to respect other's wishes not be to photographed, whatever their reason may be.

He never said to disrespect others wishes to not be photographed. You have misinterpreted. It's about knowing your rights. In a public place, you have as much rights to photograph someone, as he does to ask you to delete it. No one can force the other's hand.

usually i just shoot in front of the people, if they stare at me i just smile back :)
luckily after these few years, i never need to visit any hospital...
i usually shoot quite close with them, since my lens is either 10-22 or 30mm...
some other times i use my small trusty lc-a and usually the subject will bochap one... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.