How to take self-pic using DSLR with tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin77

Jan 4, 2003
Toa Payoh
Visit site
hi all,

how do i take a pic with myself in it using DSLR with tripod and wireless remote controller? The problem is when I focus, there is no object to focus...how can i ensure my face will still look sharp when the pic is taken?

thanks

Try composing knowing where you will stand, set your focus point there and go stand there,
Then activate the AF with your remote control and it should focus on you

You are referring to self portrait right?

must think outside the box...

first compose the camera to aim where you suppose to pose

dismount the camera from tripod

pose where you are suppose to be with the camera in hands,

focus at the tripod mount, and switch to manual focus,

mount the camera back to tripod set to self timer,

activate self timer and go back to pose.

Either find something at the same distance to focus on, or use MF.

hmm..that's interesting..

This is uncanny, I just did this a hour ago for my passport photo. :bsmilie:

Basically, just use AF take a couple of shots. Use a wider angle, crop later.

Stopping down the aperture also helps.

Last edited:
You are referring to self portrait right?

must think outside the box...

first compose the camera to aim where you suppose to pose

dismount the camera from tripod

pose where you are suppose to be with the camera in hands,

focus at the tripod mount, and switch to manual focus,

mount the camera back to tripod set to self timer,

activate self timer and go back to pose.

that sounds more complicated than i thought...for a beginner like me...and also it s very time consuming to take a pic...especially if i m with tour group...everything is so rush...

Try composing knowing where you will stand, set your focus point there and go stand there,
Then activate the AF with your remote control and it should focus on you

my understanding is that...i hv to press halfway to focus before pressing the remote control. will it be smart enough to re-focus again when i press the remote control?

that sounds more complicated than i thought...for a beginner like me...and also it s very time consuming to take a pic...especially if i m with tour group...everything is so rush...

You meant taking group photos or just yourself during tours?

Taking yourself, just pass the camera to someone else? :dunno:

Eh. Then just pass the cam to another member on the group.

something that simple and still must teach?

my understanding is that...i hv to press halfway to focus before pressing the remote control. will it be smart enough to re-focus again when i press the remote control?

Yes it would be smart enough.

Eh. Then just pass the cam to another member on the group.

something that simple and still must teach?

good point...but i believe not all ppls know how to press halfway...based on my experience...and not many ppl know how to handle DSLR...ends up the pic taken is worse...

moreover, everyone in the group also busy taking their own pics...

aiyoh, if you are shooting with a group, just focus at anybody will do...

I'm referring to you do a SELF PORTRAIT at out of nowhere, which you don't have any reference point to focus on. or you have to focus at the ground where you will stand later.

anywhere, my method is when you focus on the tripod mount, is the same distance as your camera focus on your eyes when mounted on tripod.

Alternatively, you could (after setting an appropriate DoF ) set the camera to MF and focus at any random thing that'll be close to your head when you stand in the frame.

I mean... if you set your aperture to f8, and stand a couple of metres away, it's kinda hard to screw up :sweatsm:

aiyoh, if you are shooting with a group, just focus at anybody will do...

I'm referring to you do a SELF PORTRAIT at out of nowhere, which you don't have any reference point to focus on. or you have to focus at the ground where you will stand later.

anywhere, my method is when you focus on the tripod mount, is the same distance as your camera focus on your eyes when mounted on tripod.

Thanks...i'll try that...

For me, I'll do the following with my camera, tripod, and umbrella-lightstand-flash setup

• Set up camera on tripod
  • Set to 10s timer
  • Set up lightstand with umbrella
  • Place lightstand on the spot where I want to stand
  • Autofocus on the lightstand
  • Set lens to MF
  • Mark floor with.. something to know where to stand (i place a tissue pack, for example)
  • Place lightstand where I want to light from
  • Set up reflectors (if any)
  • Start timer
  • Stand at designated spot
  • Self portrait

For me, I'll do the following with my camera, tripod, and umbrella-lightstand-flash setup

• Set up camera on tripod
  • Set to 10s timer
  • Set up lightstand with umbrella
  • Place lightstand on the spot where I want to stand
  • Autofocus on the lightstand
  • Set lens to MF
  • Mark floor with.. something to know where to stand (i place a tissue pack, for example)
  • Place lightstand where I want to light from
  • Set up reflectors (if any)
  • Start timer
  • Stand at designated spot
  • Self portrait

You do that when touring?? Don't forget to smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.