How to take Protrait??

Status
Not open for further replies.

butterspot

Jan 3, 2006
Singapore
Hi, I am trying to take some nice protrait pics but just couldn't get any decent ones, can anyone give some pointers?? thanks.

butterspot said:
Hi, I am trying to take some nice protrait pics but just couldn't get any decent ones, can anyone give some pointers?? thanks.

watch the light

the separation between the subject and co-subject

compose and framing and perspective angle

watch the colours, details and flattering features..........

butterspot said:

Decent ones?

What do you have in mind?

What do you mean when you say "decent ones?" Do you mean pretty pictures? Do you mean looking out for flattering features?

Clarify what kind of portraits you wish to make.

thanks DT_ & student. I find my pic very "flat". I wish to achieve a blur background with clear person in front. What type of setting would be advisable? Are they any "must capture" angles when taking protrait?

butterspot said:
thanks DT_ & student. I find my pic very "flat". I wish to achieve a blur background with clear person in front. What type of setting would be advisable? Are they any "must capture" angles when taking protrait?

to blur out BG, can try using a lens with longer focal length or lens with wide aperture like f1.8
for angles of compose, it will depends on the BG you want, the post of the person you are taking and the lighting condition

The traditional way is to start practising with head and shoulder shots first, then slowly add on the hands, then the lower torso, then the legs, then the feet, then the full body.

butterspot said:

buy the 50mm 1.8... very good portrait lens, especially if you want to separate out the subjcet... its a bit hard to get good bokeh with the kit lens. although you cuold try it with the 75-300mm.

well i dun think there is any thing say
"must use" angles. It is about about lighting and composition. Go read up framing such as rules of thirds and lighting. Learn how to use the space around ur model. It takes practice...keep trying

i 2nd that 'practice and practice' theory.

for your requirement, a 50mm f1.8 is v.useful for subjects at close distances but its too not impossible to get bokeh (blur) using a telezoom :)

FilterFunk said:
milly.jpg

oof....

The mic is very distracting.

This is an old photo form a SPCA event i covered. Shot on film(NPC) with a canon 75-300 stopped down to f/8

mary_01.jpg

My mistake here was not using a fill flash to remove the shadow cast by that sun visor in the mid-day sun. Remember for portraits you must try to keep your background as clean or non-distracting as possible and keep your focus on the subject as well as to try to bring out a certain chracter aspect in that moment.

Raptor84, actually come to think of it, if you'd used fill flash for the part covered by the visor, won't the glasses have reflected a fair bit of the flash?

G-man said:
Raptor84, actually come to think of it, if you'd used fill flash for the part covered by the visor, won't the glasses have reflected a fair bit of the flash?

Hehe not sure about that.. good point though. Nowadays most glasses all low relefction glass so i dont think it would have been an issue... its a whatif now anyways since i didnt have my flash on.

:sweatsm: thanks for all your pointers, watch this space, shall come back with some shots! Hv been toying with the idea of getting a 50mm lens, now there seems to be more reasons to do so! Thanks for sharing your pic-FilterFunk & raptor84, these are e type of pic which I'm aiming to gather gradually......

There are many ways to take portraits because people see differently and have different equipments. (equipments do make a difference)

You had mentioned two "wishes" - or problems

1 The first you said was "flat". I do not know what you mean when you say "flat". Do you mean an even light say on the face of the person? This is by no means bad, because they can be flattering to under-emphasise blemishes. In fact, some fashion photographers like "flat" lighting.

2 The other issue is to get a blur background. ExplorerZ had gave some ideas. But one simple idea without having to have a long lens with wide aperture is to use a plain background such as an unadorned wall at home or anywhere else.

maybe can you set your metering to center weighted metering it may help.

siongger said:
maybe can you set your metering to center weighted metering it may help.
What does center weighted metering do regarding taking portraits? or you refering this to somethings else?

i'm a friend of butterspot. this is just a friend talk to butterspot i,m a newdies too...

Status
Not open for further replies.