How to take potrait shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mookie

Aug 19, 2003
Sunnypore
Visit site
Hi guys, just purchased my C-5050Z, haven't really got through all the settings yet, but have one question I wanna ask.

When I switch to potrait mode, the icon with the face, when I take the pic, there doesn't seem to be a difference from auto-mode. Why is this so?

I thought that potrait mode would enable me to auto-focus on the foreground object and put the background out of focus, but for me I had to go to the menu and change the shooting mode to potrait...

Why are there 2 potrait modes of shooting?

Thanks in advance.

mookie said:
Hi guys, just purchased my C-5050Z, haven't really got through all the settings yet, but have one question I wanna ask.

When I switch to potrait mode, the icon with the face, when I take the pic, there doesn't seem to be a difference from auto-mode. Why is this so?

I thought that potrait mode would enable me to auto-focus on the foreground object and put the background out of focus, but for me I had to go to the menu and change the shooting mode to potrait...

Why are there 2 potrait modes of shooting?

Thanks in advance.

It has something to do with the field of depth.....if you want that effect, the aperture should be sufficiently wide for the background to blur.

encountered a similar suitation b4 with my C730uz.

if u really wanna take a potrait that would enable a focus on the foreground object and put the background out of focus, then i am suggesting u try the aperature (A) or the manual (M) mode. In either of these modes, play around with an increasing aperature size (i.e. decreasing the f-stop number) to obtain u'r desired effect.

when there is no difference in the pic under the auto or potrait mode, u should check u'r pic spec. (i.e. f-stop no & shutter speed). most probably the pic specs would be quite similar, hence the background is not blurred even under potrait mode, therefore it would then come across as similar to the auto mode.

some times, the camera itself cannot defined well what's u'r focus even if it's under the potrait mode. There r no 2 potrait modes for shooting.

eventually, it is the person who's using an equipment to take pics that counts & not the equipment itself. errh...... make sense ??? (a bit cheem, lah.... sorry). :embrass:

just my 2 cents worth......!!! :D

in portrait mode, the cam will attempt to shoot in largest aperture possible, but whether you get the desired DOF is another question altogether. consumer digicams are notorious for their deep DOF mainly due to the short actual (not equivalent) focal length, thus the best setting would be to set to maximum zoom, portrait mode, compose the shot, and hope you get some bokeh.

i did very well adding a teleconvertor to my g2.

Although it may be not economical to invest in a tc for this purpose.

You can find the answer in this:

Online Lesson for c5050

But do take note that the shallow DOF you can get is definitely not as good from your SLR/DSLR.

Notice the fence behind the model? so far away yet still not as 'blur' even with your f1.8 (or f2.6 at the telephot end)

But a slr with 85mm / f1.8...

Well, moral of the story: max out the ability of your camera and be creative how to get the image you want!

Happy shooting!

Status
Not open for further replies.