How to take picture without the background?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sbn22

Jan 23, 2006
I am trying to take pictures of the dresses without the background appearing, just like this picture. Please help.

Sample_31.JPG

I am trying to take pictures of the dresses without the background appearing, just like this picture. Please help.

Sample_31.JPG

those are taken with a digital backdrop depending which color would contrast.

for eg, if white shirt, use blue or green instead of white. then blue shirt use white or green, so on and so forth...

after that you can just lasso the background away on a transparent background.

chrome key photography only apply when the subject is not near to or on the chrome key background itself.

for this case, basically you place subject on white background to photograph it, and if you use other color background will have leave a color fringe on the edge of the subject, you will have nightmare to DI it away. for white color object, just use a gray color background, so you have will separation between subject and background and not leave a ugly color fringe.

pen tool trace it out n paste it on a white color background

btw, even you shoot on a white background, no matter how you light it, it still will not be 255,255,255.

you still need to do a lot of DI work on the background.

i think TS wants to take photos of the clothings shown in this printed catalog and not start a whole new shoot from scratch. from his sample picture, you can see the reverse side of the printed page showing through.

easiest solution is to scan the page instead of shooting it. use a black sheet of paper as a backing. this will reduce the other side from showing up but some may still escape and come through. no worries, open up in photo editor and cut out each item into it's own layer.

if i am mistaken, sorry. check out the posts above. :)

I am trying to shoot some real objects such as shirts and shoes. The picture above is what I hope to acheive, and is taken from a fashion magazine as an example.

I have just tried with majong paper as background, result seems acceptable and wonder if there is a better way?

its all done through photoshop. most of the time these stuff are shot anywhere that is available.

I don't know if it's the usual way to do it, but I've seen an behind-the-scene article in a Japanese magazine that showed them shooting the clothes on a inclined table that's some sort of a lightbox.

I don't know if it's the usual way to do it, but I've seen an behind-the-scene article in a Japanese magazine that showed them shooting the clothes on a inclined table that's some sort of a lightbox.

yups... 1 light under to eliminate shadows, 1 light or multiple lights above to have even lighting...

p030408_2001-225x300.jpg

after finishing this table, i find myself totally without time to do a test shot... i have all the necessary lights already... p.s. this is my noob table... dun complain... not for commercial purpose.

bro, where did you get those materials to built it? can teach me?

nice stuffs you got there.

bro, where did you get those materials to built it? can teach me?

nice stuffs you got there.

i bought it quite expensive, overall more than 600 gone for just this table alone. not talking about the time taken as well. there is some more modification to be done.

there is a table like this on the MO section by PQ, think less than 200.

the top channel is self made by me. as i have my own heater and bender, big one...

if your objects are small and light enough, you could use the surface of your softbox as the table top. alternatively, you could put your mahjong paper on a glass table and light from below and above.

I don't think put the shirt on a lighted surface to shoot for a pure white b/g is a good idea.

do note you are shooting a piece of fabric, which is not 100% opaque, so you will see thru any pattern on the back of the shirt.

If you don't believe, take out a shirt and see it against the sunlight, tell me what did you find?

I don't think put the shirt on a lighted surface to shoot for a pure white b/g is a good idea.

do note you are shooting a piece of fabric, which is not 100% opaque, so you will see thru any pattern on the back of the shirt.

If you don't believe, take out a shirt and see it against the sunlight, tell me what did you find?

true on last point.

Try putting the shirt or whatever on a hanger / stand some distance away from a large white background. Aim a strong light(s) at the background. The shirt light as per normal. Basically the background disappears because it gets overexposed. Don't know how well it'll work on translucent clothing items, but probably won't hurt to try.

Try putting the shirt or whatever on a hanger / stand some distance away from a large white background. Aim a strong light(s) at the background. The shirt light as per normal. Basically the background disappears because it gets overexposed. Don't know how well it'll work on translucent clothing items, but probably won't hurt to try.
Either put the shirt flat on white background or wear it on a mannequin, with a hanger it will not be easy to photography.

regardless you lay it flat on a white background or wear it on a mannequin, you still have to DI the white b/g.

btw, here's a tip for TS, you can make to background about in 30 degree tilted, so you don't need hang yourself in the air, 5ft above the shirt to shoot top down.

Status
Not open for further replies.