How to take picture if background is brighter den foreground?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a camera with a super duper dynamic range.
or a super powerful flash that can lit an entire building.

I think he meant taking 2 shots, exposing for the subject for one shot, then the background. That will actually take some time to post process.
Not really HDR, a simple cut and paste and then tweak the colors to suit the image. This method is if the subject dont have the time for perfect weather conditions. The manual method can give a good photo but there will be times when user thinks the sky or background could have been better.

Last edited:
With utmost respect, that's a solution, but wouldn't that be like why not just do it in the studio ? :) Isn't the whole idea here is looking for a solution to obtain a scenery capture with the situation being as such, rather than camera perspective totally changed with a totally different intention altogether ?

why take a picture when the situation is not ideal?

for example, try shooting the Sri Mariamman Temple in Chinatown at 5pm, the sun is behind and the temple will be in shadows

but, if you are serious about taking a good photograph, come back again the next morning around 8-9am, if the sun is out, you will get a beautiful picture.

even if the sun is not out, the resulting image will be better than the one at 5pm
so if you don't want to take a nice picture in the best possible situation, then you would not even be bothered by settings and advice.

what do you think?

With utmost respect, that's a solution, but wouldn't that be like why not just do it in the studio ? :) Isn't the whole idea here is looking for a solution to obtain a scenery capture with the situation being as such, rather than camera perspective totally changed with a totally different intention altogether ?
This is balancing the lights in a most natural way, instead resorting of using fill flash, or photoshop it.
If it is not possible of altering the angle, or wait for the good lighting in a right moment, just simply attach the flash and fire it off.

shoot what the sun is facing both the subject and background
and your back

for example, try shooting the Sri Mariamman Temple in Chinatown at 5pm, the sun is behind and the temple will be in shadows

but, if you are serious about taking a good photograph, come back again the next morning around 8-9am, if the sun is out, you will get a beautiful picture.

even if the sun is not out, the resulting image will be better than the one at 5pm
so if you don't want to take a nice picture in the best possible situation, then you would not even be bothered by settings and advice.

what do you think?

What he meant is that we should not change our perspective of that view just bec there is a problem, especially one that we can solve. It then become like escaping from the problem when we have a solution, thats what he meant.

of course coming back the next morning is another solution loh...... cheers!

btw, Mr Ortega, TS is referring to "a subject standing in front of a building" in a back lit situation, kind of like "I was here" type of shots, nothing fancy, not looking for award winner type of shots, so using flash is more appropriate.

Last edited:

what do you think?

ah so desu, at 5pm take the backside of the temple it will look good and special. too many people take the front part of the temple.

ah so desu, at 5pm take the backside of the temple it will look good and special. too many people take the front part of the temple.
Ai.....say, uncle jopel got award winner super artistic shot of the backside of the temple? can show us???.......please........

btw, Mr Ortega, TS is referring to "a subject standing in front of a building" in a back lit situation, kind of like "I was here" type of shots, nothing fancy, not looking for award winner type of shots, so using flash is more appropriate.

mabbe juz take watever... then say.. "I was there... at the wrong time". :what:

:bsmilie:

Ai.....say, uncle jopel got award winner super artistic shot of the backside of the temple? can show us???.......please........

you no time for kopi, how to show you?

but seriously, meter the temple and fill flash the subject. let the sky be overexpose.

what do you think?

I suppose sometimes it may not be practicable to go back to the same place again. Eg. during tours.

you guys discussion are really interesting, I am very sure it will really be a great help to the newbies , infact, the discussion touch on some fundamental photo techniques which i find it very refreshing.(It further strengthens my knowledge in photography)thanks. :)

what do you think?

IMHO, it will obviously be good that lighting are good, composition is good, weather is good. If one is willing to go to great length to make the dream photo comes true, it's definitely a bonus point. But unfortunately life is never perfect and we often have to make do with what is available and use it wisely.

If I'm caught in such a situation like for example one poster mentioned it's a tour or there won't be a easy 2nd chance, then I will just use what I am capable of to capture the moment down. TS asked what to do, therefore I give him what I feel is possible within that moment of time. Having said that, like you, I will encourage him to recce the ground and come back another time for a better shot. Like what you mentioned, I did that before, visiting the same place twice just to find the right moment to create the dream photo I wanted, but I feel in this context, looking forward the right moment is not what I want to advice him because I rather he get the right information of how to deal with the situation in known methods to tackle the problem. The choice of revisiting the scene or change another composition is totally up to him. In fact, for me personally, I even go to the extend of don't even capture the scene if I cannot make it looks nice. I rather not have it then to have it the substandard way.

That's what I think. Thanks :)

TS is a d40x user.
you can try the d-lighting function and see if it helps.

The D-Lighting feature will brighten up the dark areas of your photos, with a slight increase in noise as a tradeoff. It's especially handy when your subject has a bright light source behind them.

Last edited:

what do you think?

u do not have so much time when u are oversea

TS is a d40x user.
you can try the d-lighting function and see if it helps.

The D-Lighting feature will brighten up the dark areas of your photos, with a slight increase in noise as a tradeoff. It's especially handy when your subject has a bright light source behind them.

I highly doubt this solutions, somehow ADR tend to give rather lack of contrast because of the technique to bring up the shadow area and lower the highlight. It's like performing shadow protection and protect the highlight at the same time in photoshop. No harm trying since you mentioned :)

Normally under the situation that TS suggested, it's often dynamic range is far too high for ADR to salvage.

2 cents worth

Status
Not open for further replies.