how to take pics thru glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

butters

could someone enlighten me on how to take pictures thru glass? am using a canon s330 cam btw... here are some of the pics i've taken, suggestions on how to improve the shots?

parrot-fish.jpg

sucker-fish.jpg

1) go as close as possible
2) use polariser to reduce reflection
3) take at an angle to reduce reflection

Originally posted by mervlam
1) go as close as possible
2) use polariser to reduce reflection
3) take at an angle to reduce reflection
4) use manual focus... the glass will screw up any AF functions sometimes.
5)try to avoid light sources directly behind or diagonally opposite you (depending on where you're standing) to have minimum reflection.
6)try not to use flash. the glass might bounce off reflection into your lens if you not careful.

good luck!!! :thumbsup:

1. If you are near the glass, try to press your lens on the glass, that will take away all reflection. (the glass is just like your filter now)

2. If you are far away, use a polariser or take at an angle, around
45 degree if you are using flash

3. If taking straight towards the glass with flash, use an off camera flash and place it at the side (45 dgree towards the subject.

Try it! Just my 2 cents worth

Originally posted by firefox13
4) use manual focus... the glass will screw up any AF functions sometimes.
5)try to avoid light sources directly behind or diagonally opposite you (depending on where you're standing) to have minimum reflection.
6)try not to use flash. the glass might bounce off reflection into your lens if you not careful.

good luck!!! :thumbsup:

pardon my ignorance, but how to use manual focus on my ixus s330?

1. try to place your front lens element as close to the aquarium glass as possible. this will reduce reflections, but on the downside will only give you a narrow field of view.

2. place a dark piece of cloth/paper behind the aquarium to bring out the contrast.

3. turn of your flash! since you can't use an external flash, arrange some diffused lighting over the aquarium. the proper way would be to use flash bounced off the ceiling.

Originally posted by butters
pardon my ignorance, but how to use manual focus on my ixus s330?
oops sorry, missed that part about the camera u were using... can't help you there. think you have to seek help from other ixus users... :p

Originally posted by mervlam
use polariser to reduce reflection

Yes.. You'd definately need a Polarising Filter to take pictures of things thru reflective surfaces like water, glass and plastic...

I've got 2 examples showing the effectiveness of the Polarising Filter reducing relctions off glass.... These were taken outside the Planet Fitness at Far East Square...

Without Polarising Filter (Notice the reflections of the cars on the glass):

WithoutPolarisingFilter.jpg

With Polarising Filter (See the reduction of reflections):

WithPolarisingFilter.jpg

I think a faster shutter and better lighting would help too!!!

Originally posted by vivre

Yes.. You'd definately need a Polarising Filter to take pictures of things thru reflective surfaces like water, glass and plastic...

I've got 2 examples showing the effectiveness of the Polarising Filter reducing relctions off glass.... These were taken outside the

I think a faster shutter and better lighting would help too!!!

thanks for the photos :thumbsup:

Can see the picture clearly now.

I dont' think iXus 330 can put filter ....

really ?
is there any link for the 3rd party lens adaptor ?

Originally posted by cwloo
really ?
is there any link for the 3rd party lens adaptor ?

I think it's mentioned here or hwz forum before..... lost the url though...

Status
Not open for further replies.