How to take photos using handhelp to be used for stitching later

Status
Not open for further replies.

kababoom

Nov 23, 2004
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Any advise on how to take photos wifout tripod where the shots are used for combining into panaroma photos?

Thks for any info :)

this can be done with some PNS camera with panorama assist feature. i was able to make some from my coolpix 4200.

for dSLRs, i am not sure.

Hand held or assisted not a problem. Just remember to lock the exposure and white balance. Then make sure you have some overlap minimum I would say is 20% and stay level.

Many of my panorama are handheld and stitched with Arcsoft Panorama maker 3 and 4.

assuming that you have decent software (Canon's is good) then just do this....

1) set a constant aperture and shutter speed for each shot (hint: pick the settings for your camera, based on the 'middle' picture that you envision).

2) try to keep the horizonatal axis the same

3) start shooting. as you are about to take the pic, notice a feature on the side of the viewfinder that you will need to anchor on next.

Hand held or assisted not a problem. Just remember to lock the exposure and white balance. Then make sure you have some overlap minimum I would say is 20% and stay level.

Many of my panorama are handheld and stitched with Arcsoft Panorama maker 3 and 4.

Exactly. Do not put polarisers as well.

Here is an example of my first pano shot i tried stitching with photomerge in CS

Budapest - Central Market Hall
Budapest_-_Central_Market_Square_Pano.jpg

I pivoted my camera against one of the metal railings in the market to have stability
Photomerge is really useful. Do allow like 20% overlap. i overlapped the central walkway where there are alot of ppl walking ard so that Photomerge has the option of using another photo border to stitch so i do not get problems with ppl *cut* into halves by stitching process

Try not to get too many moving things involved in stitching ( else u need to remove those *halflings* I got some problem with moving clouds when i make a huge panoramas as well

Ryan

may i ask how to shoot handheld. Do i stay in one spot and only move my amrs or do i move sideways and take the various shots?

i always can't seem to get the shots right

what's more, i have a tripod to help me. i am using a Nikon D40

one of the best freeware around autostitch... just open all the image and let it batch thru...

imho its better to have at least 30% especially if you use pretty wide angle as this will help to minimise some corner distortion

You should stand at the same position and just rotate your body as you take the picture.

do u guys recommned exposure lock or use M mode and set same exposure for the diff frames?

i always fumble with exposure

Get an ultra wide lens will save you the trouble.
The Tokina 12-24mm is not bad and is affordable (under $800)

a noob here:

i used Manual exposure but the sky colour's still diff..

i used a tripod but the pavement there still looks disjointed

how can i improve?

a noob here:

i used Manual exposure but the sky colour's still diff..

i used a tripod but the pavement there still looks disjointed

how can i improve?

wat software did u use to stich the pano?

ive done pics without tripods before (not leaning against anything), the shots come out with some bright some dark (worse than yours cos i accidentally used a), but i did the stiching in panorama factory and it turned out great.

could be the barrel distortion or sth (the tree is correct, but not the pavement and sky)

also, u shld shoot in vertical, so that the image is nicer, and try not to zoom all the way out (just did a pano at 75mm with 20+ shots)

sometimes, the tripod may not be great either - unless u have an l-bracket right in the middle of the tripod the image will be 'distorted'

cheers and good luck;p

i used 17mm focal length and adobe photoshop elements to stitch the shots

should i zoom in to a longer focal length so there won't be barrel distortion?

will try taking vertical shots too

i used 17mm focal length and adobe photoshop elements to stitch the shots

should i zoom in to a longer focal length so there won't be barrel distortion?

will try taking vertical shots too

Photoshop CS2 or CS3 will do a much better job in blending the colour of skies. $$ is different of course.

Photoshop CS2 or CS3 will do a much better job in blending the colour of skies. $$ is different of course.

photoshop cs2/3 will do it nicely, but a plugin or other software is even better. i use panorama factory, which corrects barrel distortion, brightness and also sharpens the pics.

u could try a longer focal length; that might help a little

photoshop cs2/3 will do it nicely, but a plugin or other software is even better. i use panorama factory, which corrects barrel distortion, brightness and also sharpens the pics.

u could try a longer focal length; that might help a little

Panarama Factory - is it free software?

Panarama Factory - is it free software?

there is a trial version from their website: www.panoramafactory.com but you could purchase the full version for just around S$100
the main diffs are that the trial only lasts for a month, and you will have a stamp at the middle of your pic saying "Please purchase software at www.panoramafactory.com"
its standard size, so its not obvious gigantic panoramas, and u can remove it with photoshop too

so for just a few panos its not a bad idea, then u can buy it after that;p

set a fix exposure
focus lock
snap
turn waist and keep your hand and every other thing still
snap again, continue until you can't turn your waist anymore or you have enough.

I have been using this method, and so far it works perfectly for me.
few of the sample i took not long ago

http://hkchew.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/155/46?xurl=/photos/photo/155/46
http://hkchew.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/155/47?xurl=/photos/photo/155/47
http://hkchew.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/155/48?xurl=/photos/photo/155/48

tho I use 12-24 alot, but sometimes i think there is still a need to do panorama shot...

set a fix exposure
focus lock
snap
turn waist and keep your hand and every other thing still
snap again, continue until you can't turn your waist anymore or you have enough.

I have been using this method, and so far it works perfectly for me.
few of the sample i took not long ago

http://hkchew.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/155/46?xurl=/photos/photo/155/46
http://hkchew.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/155/47?xurl=/photos/photo/155/47
http://hkchew.multiply.com/photos/hi-res/155/48?xurl=/photos/photo/155/48

tho I use 12-24 alot, but sometimes i think there is still a need to do panorama shot...

hi, if i use M setting, do i still need to do focus lock?

i can just turn the tripod head right?

wat focal length to u recommend? and does taking vertical shots help?

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.