Status
Not open for further replies.

lovells19

Oct 31, 2003
Deep Deep in the sea
www.flickr.com
hi
im using a oly c5050..

been trying to take the beautiful sky at nite with the full moon.. but just can't seem to do it.. any advises?

thanks

lovells19 said:
hi
im using a oly c5050..

been trying to take the beautiful sky at nite with the full moon.. but just can't seem to do it.. any advises?

thanks

dun seems to work?? as in which way?.
prehaps you wanna show us the picture for us to comment more.

btw, those city scrapes you seen w a nice big moon in most beautiful pictures are more often then not done by double exposure.

well i can only get this..

any suggested setting?

21506141805_0_ALB.jpg

Can't see your picture. Anyhow, try mounting your camera on a tripod and take with your aperature wide open.

lovells19 said:
double exposure??

er sorry im very new to photo graphy hehe.. care to explain?

i'll go take a few picces and post it up

i dun have much experience in shooting the moon," well apart from in hearts"=O, but this is wat i feel:

from your picture, we can see that the moon have start to turn 'oval' this is due to long exposure which capture the movement of the moon itself (yes, the moon moves much faster then we though).
also my personal opinion is tat you got it over expose. try lowering your shutter speed, say by abt 3 stops. in cam metering would gives you a much over exposure reading due to the vast amt of dark sky ard it.
set to manual put your aperature to widest, which i believe is F2.8 for your 5050 at tele and 1.8 at wide(correct me if i am wrong).then bracket with vary shutter speed tll you get a ritz exposure.

double exposure means shooting 2 times on a single frame of a slide.
first exposure: shoot at cityscape making sure a corner of the sky is pitch dark where you wanna place the moon
2nd exposure: zoom in shoot at the moon at the area where you have plan it to be.

do give it a few tries, if still cannot post us the setting you have. we will try to help =p

happy shooting =p

lovells19 said:
well i can only get this..

any suggested setting?

21506141805_0_ALB.jpg

The full moon is very bright....therefore I had tried using the one touch WB to take the full moon. .....pity not enough zoom on my 5050..... :cry:

there is a lot of light pollution in singapore. meaning the parts of the sky that is supposed to be black is not black...so exposing long will result in a colouration on the sky that i do not find desirable. i would spot meter the mooon... and open up a few stops... and bracket. to get the moon in the correct tone you want it to be...

experiment with you digital cam... dunno if the 5050 has spot meter though

I got quite a nice full moon with my SLR b4. I haven scan it yet.
But from my experience, using Aperture piority, (I can only open up to F5.6 with my 300mm lens) Try to point to the centre of the moon. So that the camera will detect it as kind of bright, it will increase the shutter speed. Mine was btw 1/125-1/350 depending on which "spot" on the moon that I point, near the crater (where there are slightly darker parts)

At F5.6, 1/125, the moon appear ok without the halo, but the crater wasnt very clear...seems a bit washed out.
At F5.6, 1/350, the moon appear to have more defined craters. (The "rabbit" shape looks more defined)
So I suppose u play around this setting bah? Then ownself alter alter a bit...see which settings u prefer :)

By the way, I shoot my moon handheld. Cos...ermmm I think 1/350 is ok to handheld bah?

lovells19 said:
wah 300mm..
my cam only got 105mm leh hahaha

thanks for the advice will try on the next full moon :D

u sure u can take the next full moon ...... werewolf / coloured wolf very difficult leh ...... anyway, I may want to take the full moon too :) ..... .hehehehehe....

blurblock said:
u sure u can take the next full moon ...... werewolf / coloured wolf very difficult leh ...... anyway, I may want to take the full moon too :) ..... .hehehehehe....

i only turn into were wolf when i see full moon in the disco/pubs :p

:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.