how to take photo of rainbow?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beivied

May 8, 2003
East, Singapore
hi. anyone knows how to take a photo of a rainbow? even the faint ones?

well....... try to meter on the rainbow or the part of the sky nearest to the rainbow so to get a proper exposure of the rainbow.

Usually just do exposure bracketing and combine the shots.

and of coz, that bit of luck :)

Originally posted by SniperD
well....... try to meter on the rainbow or the part of the sky nearest to the rainbow so to get a proper exposure of the rainbow.

Usually just do exposure bracketing and combine the shots.

and of coz, that bit of luck :)

hmmm... okie.. lets hope there are more rainbows for me to try my hands on this weekend ^_^ thanks for the help!~ ;)

Originally posted by blizzy
gd luck. i took pics of a rainbow yesterday. Didnt turn out that good. U can view them here rainbow

i think the photos are quite nice!!! especially with a couple just at the end of the rainbow.. nice!~~ mind if you share with me what equipment you used and the settings?

Originally posted by Ansel
To darken the colours of the rainbow, use a polarising filter.

is there a polarising filter for nikon f75?
i myself am using c5050, but a friend who owns a f75 is also wanna take pics of rainbow...

hmm... i was thinking, would it help if i bring the aperture to .. say... f8.0? :dunno:

Originally posted by beivied
i think the photos are quite nice!!! especially with a couple just at the end of the rainbow.. nice!~~ mind if you share with me what equipment you used and the settings?

was using canon pro90is...
settings. hmm. aperture 8(widest i have). Just focused on the rainbow, which was quite hard at times.... it blends in with the clouds. argh. cant remember if my circ pol was on yet....

Originally posted by Ansel
To darken the colours of the rainbow, use a polarising filter.
but be careful not to eliminate the rainbow itself, cos the colors of the rainbow are basically "polarised" light themselves.

It will also help to underexpose the shot slightly to bring out the colors and contrast.

As for focusing, there's probably no need to focus as the "subject" will be at infinity anyway, or you may choose to focus on a nearer subject and use a smaller aperture to get greater DOF.

caveat: i have never personally shot a magnificient rainbow, but have read and analysed enough to be able to offer "theory" ;p

I have been hunting for a rainbow for months... Have you seen one lately...??

hi. anyone knows how to take a photo of a rainbow? even the faint ones?

Underexposing a little will help increase the visibility of the rainbow. If a subject in the foreground is present, for example, people, I will meter the sky, and use a fill flash ( just switch on your flash ). My 2 cents.

Have seen two in the past month, but unfortunately, had access to a cam in only 1 of the situation :( :(
As many of have said, a polariser does help, although it can eliminate it totally too ... :D

..NuTs..

Originally posted by ivor
I have been hunting for a rainbow for months... Have you seen one lately...??

is there a polarising filter for nikon f75?
i myself am using c5050, but a friend who owns a f75 is also wanna take pics of rainbow...

if i am not mistaken, the F75 is a film SLR camera, if so the mouting of the filter depends on the lenses and not on the camer itself. for true SLR, in general there will always be a thread size for it to mount the filter. =p

Originally posted by West_ray
i got an site for 'looking out for rainbow' kind of thing ... i will post tat link when i go back home ...

thank you!~ will be waiting for your post... ;)

Originally posted by blizzy
was using canon pro90is...
settings. hmm. aperture 8(widest i have). Just focused on the rainbow, which was quite hard at times.... it blends in with the clouds. argh. cant remember if my circ pol was on yet....

need circ polariser? how about normal polariser?

Originally posted by Darren
but be careful not to eliminate the rainbow itself, cos the colors of the rainbow are basically "polarised" light themselves.

It will also help to underexpose the shot slightly to bring out the colors and contrast.

As for focusing, there's probably no need to focus as the "subject" will be at infinity anyway, or you may choose to focus on a nearer subject and use a smaller aperture to get greater DOF.

caveat: i have never personally shot a magnificient rainbow, but have read and analysed enough to be able to offer "theory" ;p

i definitely need the theory now, hehehhee... thanks... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.