How to take "people" Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawrence90

May 7, 2008
How do i go about taking "people"?

Have this assignment and have take people... with different subjects and themes

My question is... How do you take such that you can take a nice picture with & without the person realising you are taking them(with eye and no eye contact)?\

Also, you all do get stares right? How do u all overcome it and where's the best place to take "People"

:dunno::think:

do you mean candid?

i camp far away and use my tele :p

stares, just ignore them.

do you mean candid?

What's a good shutter speed to use to take kids? I have this problem of having photos of kids blurred .... :confused:

do you mean candid?

something like that.

i require both eye contact and non eye contact

tele-photo lens is the way to go.. =D
oh yea...

or wide.

moderate, is of course , a no no :bsmilie:
i see... tele would be for non eye contact right? and wide for eye contact?

What's a good shutter speed to use to take kids? I have this problem of having photos of kids blurred .... :confused:

uhh faster then whatever you used =) safest use 1/250

but what about taking in shopping centers?

normally the speed gets faster the more you zoom...for around 30mm i use about 1/60 lowest...300mm, 1/250. it comes with experience :)

don't know if you want to try this, but aiming approximately and shooting from the hips sometimes work. :bsmilie:

don't know if you want to try this, but aiming approximately and shooting from the hips sometimes work. :bsmilie:
but also quite obvious if finger on shutter and lens not closed and you are aiming it :D

focus and wait for the moment. prepare to press ur shuttle anytime.

Really? Didn't know our cameras have shuttles...

but also quite obvious if finger on shutter and lens not closed and you are aiming it :D

You'll be surprised how few people take notice of you when your camera is not up to your eye. When its at the hip, people tend to feel less threatened.

normally the speed gets faster the more you zoom...for around 30mm i use about 1/60 lowest...300mm, 1/250. it comes with experience :)

Would you increase the ISO in order to compensate for the fact that you need to have a faster shutter speed and still retain a shallow deep of field? It's again back to the question of possibility of grainy pix vs DOF/speed....

i see... tele would be for non eye contact right? and wide for eye contact?

no, no difference, both can take both.

but if you want a true candid, i.e. where the subject is not aware, or not sure, wide or tele is the way to go. the working distance for the latter, the fact that they cannot tell if they're in (if you place them slightly to the side). by wide, i mean ultrawide.

But if...

Maintain Eye Contact
1. Side Light
2. Rim Light(Back Light)
3. Silhouette
4. Frame Subject Off-Centre
5. Tilted Camera
6. Simple Background
7. Get Closer

People and His Environment(No Eye contact required)
1. Side Light
2. Rim Light(Back Light)
3. Silhouette
5. Tilted Camera
6. Simple Background
7. High Camera Angle

How, who and where to take would be the best

But if...

Maintain Eye Contact
1. Side Light
2. Rim Light(Back Light)
3. Silhouette
5. Tilted Camera
6. Simple Background
7. Get Closer

People and His Environment(No Eye contact required)
1. Side Light
2. Rim Light(Back Light)
3. Silhouette
5. Tilted Camera
6. Simple Background
7. High Camera Angle

How, who and where to take would be the best

hire a model and do indoor + outdoor shoots in different outfits....
Then you dun need to be afraid of stares....

Hmmmm. Sounds like a project brief to me. Is this a sch assignment???

Would you increase the ISO in order to compensate for the fact that you need to have a faster shutter speed and still retain a shallow deep of field? It's again back to the question of possibility of grainy pix vs DOF/speed....

that would depend if i need it...if its sunny outdoors you probably just need to lower the aperture and leave your iso alone...i'm not very sure for indoors. probably a iso800 + flash or something (and increase flash power?), because i don't own a flash :)

Really? Didn't know our cameras have shuttles...

You'll be surprised how few people take notice of you when your camera is not up to your eye. When its at the hip, people tend to feel less threatened.
yes! this is a trick that most journalists do when they go to more restricted areas..

Imagine this:
1. Hang your camera around your neck and at approximately your abdomen area. This position gives you the best stability and chance in estimating and gauging your camera's FOV.
2. Cross and rest both your palms on the top of your camera. Position them such that your left palm is under your right so that your left thumb rests nicely on your shutter release.
3. Relax and act nonchalent and press your shutter as and when necessary. Adjust the zoom with the last 2 fingers of your left hand.

Tips:
1. Use a smaller aperture as focusing will be difficult and you don't have much time to focus for candid shots. Switch to release priority mode.
2. Use prime lenses for increased chances of sharper shots. You can always walk nearer or further away as required.

Practise more and you'll be surprised with the kind of candid stuff that you can capture. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.