How to take passport size photo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

funtasy

Sep 19, 2002
Visit site
Can anyone tell me how to I take passport size photo using a digital camera. I need information such as:
1) What focal length of lens to use.
2) Distance between camera and subject etc.

Thank you in advance:)

jimtong said:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/apples/faq/photo_image.html

Use at least 80mm focal lenght. Avoid wide angle.
Use a white background but do not sit too near the background else you will get shadow.

Aim and shoot. Do PS to adjust contrast, exposure. No plastic surgery.

Thanks jimtong. Just to confirm when you said 80mm it would mean the lens focal length will be at 50mm taking in consideration the 1.6 cropping factor. Am I right?

funtasy said:
Thanks jimtong. Just to confirm when you said 80mm it would mean the lens focal length will be at 50mm taking in consideration the 1.6 cropping factor. Am I right?

Yes, without crop factor. But you can try with 50mm, I guess it should be fine though.

Thanks jimtong and donchua!:thumbsup:

jimtong said:
http://www.ica.gov.sg/apples/faq/photo_image.html

Use at least 80mm focal lenght. Avoid wide angle.
Use a white background but do not sit too near the background else you will get shadow.

Aim and shoot. Do PS to adjust contrast, exposure. No plastic surgery.

Interesting... didn't know ICA had a tutorial on taking passport photos.

I find that the best way to reduce the shadow outline is to either use bounce flash or background lighting. Head-on flash tends to produce shadows in most shots even if the background is some distance away.

i've use 35mm focal lens to take passport size photo... nothing is wrong.

get any P&S will be ok.

IMHO, no need to spend too much time on PS-ing the passport photos as the printout on the passport suck big time.

important thing is to have a sharp picture with those typical facial features can liao.

also note that you have to follow strictly to ICA's requirements for the filesize and dimensions, as one pixel more, they dun accept also.

funtasy said:
Can anyone tell me how to I take passport size photo using a digital camera. I need information such as:
1) What focal length of lens to use.
2) Distance between camera and subject etc.

Thank you in advance:)

user12343 said:
also note that you have to follow strictly to ICA's requirements for the filesize and dimensions, as one pixel more, they dun accept also.

wah..u tested the system before?

my application for photo driving license was rejected cos the background was yellow....i was too lazy to find a white background for passport photo taking, in the end I got to use PS to remove the yellow background :sweat:

yes, i just got my PP renewed. sibeh ngeow one. a lil bit bigger buaysai, filesize one 1kb bigger (can be less than specified size, but cannot be more) also tak boleh...
Wai said:
wah..u tested the system before?

my application for photo driving license was rejected cos the background was yellow....i was too lazy to find a white background for passport photo taking, in the end I got to use PS to remove the yellow background :sweat:

u can use ps to crop 1.5" by 2".

solarii said:
Interesting... didn't know ICA had a tutorial on taking passport photos.

I find that the best way to reduce the shadow outline is to either use bounce flash or background lighting. Head-on flash tends to produce shadows in most shots even if the background is some distance away.

Yes, defintely have to be bounce. Never use direct if you can. But for P&S, no choice have to find other ways.

But bouce flash also produce shadow but softer, therefore standing further away will help to reduce the shadow.

Status
Not open for further replies.