How To: Take Object in Motion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

iceberg

Nov 20, 2002
West
berkyberg.blogspot.com
How To: Take Object in Motion

Say.. a car in motion.. or just anything that's moving.. keeping object in focus and background blur...

do a focus lock on the object, Use Tv (shutter priority mode).

Set your Tv speed to 1/30s (really blurred background with slow object like people walking pass fast) to 1/60s for really fast moving objects - Cyclists, cars @ 70mph 1/80s for power boats

SniperD said:
do a focus lock on the object, Use Tv (shutter priority mode).

Set your Tv speed to 1/30s (really blurred background with slow object like people walking pass fast) to 1/60s for really fast moving objects - Cyclists, cars @ 70mph 1/80s for power boats

any panning required?

iceberg said:
my guess is panning is required... but not sure how to pan at what according speed... :(

Of course must pan!

What happens is that u need a telephoto lens with a focus lock (not always necessary but good to have). U frame the moving object and then depress the shutter buttom to focus on the moving object. U must first set the focusing mode to dynamic or continuous or something similar. The camera will them continuously alter it's focus on the subject to keep it sharp. Start focussing on the object when it is some distance away and keep tracking it and let the camera keep focussing continuously. (U need a fast lens for a good effect).

When the focus gets to the sharpness u want, press the focus lock button, all the while panning the camera (maybe left to right) to keep the moving object in the centre of the frame (or wherever else u want it to be). This would be when the object is close enough such that the focus does not change much after u lock the focus.

Once the object is in front of you, depress the shutter and then pan smoothly to follow the object, keeping it in the same position in the frame as you pan. Do it until the shutter closes.

It takes a lot of skill. I have not done it before but I think this is roughly how it is done. Practitioners please correct any misconceptions........ thanks! :D

iceberg said:
How To: Take Object in Motion

Say.. a car in motion.. or just anything that's moving.. keeping object in focus and background blur...

You need to pan, as to the speed, that will take some practise. It will help if you have a digital camera. That way you can do a few practise shots. Pne slight problem with digital cameras is that you may encounter a slight shutter lag in some cameras.

Paws13.sized.jpg

Vague example of a panning shot.

very cute! Is that is a chihuahua?

SniperD said:
yupz.. a very tiny chihuahua.. in a basket.. cool mode of transport eh? ;)

Your dog?? I actually dun like chihuahua's on account of their rather irritating habit of yelping at every and anything that moves..... might be a bad experience on my part with my tutor's chihuahua..... noisy little thing....... but the one in your shot is very cute!

You need to pan, as to the speed, that will take some practise. It will help if you have a digital camera. That way you can do a few practise shots. Pne slight problem with digital cameras is that you may encounter a slight shutter lag in some cameras.

Apart from that do not forget that most digital cameras' smallest aperture is around f/8, leaving you with exposure problem. You have to wait until around 5pm to get correct exposure (1/30 second).

Please have a look at my website in my signature below, I wrote an article about panning with examples at different settings.

SniperD said:
this one very shy .. not mine. got 2 shitzus though :)

U seem to be a dog lover from your gallery......

Status
Not open for further replies.