How to take nice pictures around S'pore

Status
Not open for further replies.

spheredome

Jul 5, 2007
AMK
I know photography requires experience and skills (which I don't have) but do you find photographing around S'pore boring or hard to get a nice picture. The word nice is very subject I know but when a person take a photo of Wall Street in States, it's woow but Shenton Way dull. The same bulldozer in other countries look interesting but here it looks normal.

Oversea's clouds are fluffy, skies are blue, flowers a blooming, mountains. Here are overcast, leaves are dried. Ships all over the horizon, trees come with buildings as bonus.

I like to hear your view and what are the areas or framing that you try to keep your pictures interesting.

sound like deja vu, I remember a few years ago, one CSer says all his peers claim Singapore got nothing to take. So they all go oversea for photo outting.

well, if you feel the same way, I suggest you open your eyes big big to look around for unusual thing which only we have, not thing we don't have.

I bet if you can take something out these so-called 'nothing-to-take' location that we are all currently stepping on, then you will gain the thing called 'creativity'.

Learn about composition. It may look easy but take a long time to learn....

I know photography requires experience and skills (which I don't have) but do you find photographing around S'pore boring or hard to get a nice picture. The word nice is very subject I know but when a person take a photo of Wall Street in States, it's woow but Shenton Way dull. The same bulldozer in other countries look interesting but here it looks normal.

Oversea's clouds are fluffy, skies are blue, flowers a blooming, mountains. Here are overcast, leaves are dried. Ships all over the horizon, trees come with buildings as bonus.

I like to hear your view and what are the areas or framing that you try to keep your pictures interesting.

i totally disagree.
take a look at cityscape-singapore , so many nice photos.
besides u are just kinda saying the grass is greener the other side.

try staying 20plus years in new york wall street, i bet when u come to orchard road u will wow, u see trishaw u will wow, u see bagua, china town, etc u will also wow. sometimes when we live too long in a place, we seemed to have become blind to the beauty of the place.

clouds can also be fluffy here too.
we have no mountains - u want mountain drive to malaysia. its the same in overseas too. mountains/nature park are usually hours and hours of drive. e.g in US say yosemite - the nearest civlisation with gd airport will be either LA or San Fran - both about 6 hrs of drive

sg is a city dont expect huge huge mountains la - the nearest on is genting / mount kk

I suggest you to take a look at Land/City-scapes and Travel thread and many of photographer/us manage to get awesome-awesome capture surrounding Spore.

I do not see any point about this discussion? :dunno:

Say, since you were saying "I know photography requires experience and skills (which I don't have)', does it makes any difference when you are out there at wall street, paris or etc etc....

There is alway a bad day when you are out there and does not manage a single "WOW" factor image....I hope you get what I mean....:)

If you don't like taking photographs here, you can always go for travel photography. ;)

Btw, I don't think Singapore have nothing to shoot.
It's your technique on how to make something turn out to be creative.

So many photos shot here turn out to be stunning.
As soulFLY said, check out the Land/City-scapes and Travel threads and you will be able to see so many photos of Singapore.

Singapore got a lot of nice places to shoot la... i started in Singapore when i just got my DSLR... tried night shooting (tripod is mandatory)... day street shooting... but frankly, i like night shooting in Singapore... vibrant colors, lot of buildings and lot of lights... all you need to do is to learn all the basic stuffs and use it...

If you can't find anything interesting to shoot in Singapore, chances are you won't find anything interesting elsewhere...... your eyes weren't trained to see.

Experience and skill can be acquired. Nice is subjective. Let the camera guide and teach you and follow your heart. To me, the late American photographer Dorothea Lange kinda sums up the essence of photography by stating something along the lines of "a camera is an instrument that teaches us to see without a camera.' Perhaps then, one would think twice before concluding that Singapore is a 'boring' place to take photos. Perhaps then, no one place is truly 'boring'.

If you can't find anything interesting to shoot in Singapore, chances are you won't find anything interesting elsewhere...... your eyes weren't trained to see.

that's not necessarily true. i mean i agree that there *are* plenty of interesting things to capture in Singapore, but a foreign country does lend itself, instinctively to more possibilities as everything's seemingly new.

Being exposed to something new and identify photographic opportunities in them are 2 different animals altogether. You still need a keen eye to turn novelties into photographs. If you can't see it, you can't turn something new into something good.

just like to quote what my dad once told me..

" the difference in a normal person and a photographer is that a photographer can see what normal people don't see and capture it down.."

Excellent contribution of feedbacks and experiences. Thanks

The reason I asked and few of my associates have spoken likewise is the feeling towards a appreciating a picture of a familar view is duller. I just wanted to hear from members with hobby as photography if their perceptions. Perception, I believe if part of photography too which some call them style.

What I am about to write is not about any person's photography skill or quality, it is just how I appreciate the pictures. When I look at fantastic city, street, landscape picture taken here, I praised it on the skill and expression but I would not at a look the second time as it is normal. But a simple picture taken oversea attracts me to admire it again.

Well I guessed you have the "outside country moon is rounder" mentality :sweat:

Excellent contribution of feedbacks and experiences. Thanks

The reason I asked and few of my associates have spoken likewise is the feeling towards a appreciating a picture of a familar view is duller. I just wanted to hear from members with hobby as photography if their perceptions. Perception, I believe if part of photography too which some call them style.

What I am about to write is not about any person's photography skill or quality, it is just how I appreciate the pictures. When I look at fantastic city, street, landscape picture taken here, I praised it on the skill and expression but I would not at a look the second time as it is normal. But a simple picture taken oversea attracts me to admire it again.

hahaha... then you should go Malaysia... although most new things seems intriguing and exciting... but most tourist spots are so poorly maintained that some really look like shxt... you may go there and explore and train yourself to turn shxt into gold...

I respond in the best way possible: with pictures of Singapore.

138b88461dd8048756cb5701fea229e8.jpg

Singapore also has blue skies...

No_One_Else__by_k_leb_k.jpg

d8483f1c84dc8daad9e16cff07205739.jpg

You can get nice photos in the heartlands too...

751b46191ff438445d782f8c644f3660.jpg

And from bus windows...

c30909911ab309b3fb12d01eaed0b90c.jpg

Open your eyes and you might spot something like this...

Maybe the grass is greener on the other side, but if your eyes are closed then no matter where you look, all you will see is a black void. Learn to look for opportunities regardless of location. Sometimes you won't find any because there aren't any, but most of the time, we just miss it.

Last edited:
TS has already given his views on local photograhpy :think:

When I look at fantastic city, street, landscape picture taken here, I praised it on the skill and expression but I would not at a look the second time as it is normal. But a simple picture taken oversea attracts me to admire it again.

Sometimes you don't spot things because you don't look hard enough. Look once and of course there's a low chance of spotting something interesting what...

spheredome said:
When I look at fantastic city, street, landscape picture taken here, I praised it on the skill and expression but I would not at a look the second time as it is normal. But a simple picture taken oversea attracts me to admire it again.
It appears spheredome is simply wanting to look at things that are not available locally. The exotic nature of foreign items. That is not a topic about photography per se, really.... more about the yearning for a vacation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.