how to take nice landscape photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul_Yeo

Feb 27, 2004
Sengkang
www.boo.sg
can i ask how to take nice landscape photos?

i notice those poster one is very nice, with very dramatic sky and ambience.

what time is the best? (know noon makes things flat and dull)

any other tips?

thanks!

the best times i've tried is just before the sun sets.

but it lasts only about 30 mins... good luck!

Big Kahuna said:
Hm....I guess....get yourself a 17-35.....then you are half way there liao :lovegrin:

:bsmilie: ... like that also can ah? :bsmilie:

eikin said:
:bsmilie: ... like that also can ah? :bsmilie:

He asked any other tip mah :lovegrin:

Actually I believe so lor....but of coz the other half is self effor mah...no point holding on to $10k gear but shooting skills sucks...just like those old uncle driving a lambo...donno for what...I think I look better in it :bsmilie:

Buy a 1 way ticket to Alaska ;p

Landscapes are usually best taken at the golden hour, which unfortunately does not last long in Singapore. I think for Sg, the time before sunset is the best for landscapes.

may be get a medium or large format camera.?. hehe and also abit of luck on the weather. have to be patient.. ;)

zonoyono said:
may be change your camera to a medium or large format.?. hehe and also abit of luck on the weather. have to be patient.. ;)

whoa :bigeyes: :bsmilie:

Paul, i think most important is to learn how to compose first. without that given the best scenery also no use.

Paul_Yeo said:
can i ask how to take nice landscape photos?

i notice those poster one is very nice, with very dramatic sky and ambience.

what time is the best? (know noon makes things flat and dull)

any other tips?

thanks!

Paul,

Go flip though foreign publications like Practical Photograhy and Outdoor Photography. Ok so we don't have wideopen, sweeping vistas and we don't have four seasons with punchy Fall colours but you can get a tip or two from there.

The best light in Singapore at least (and as others have mentioned) is during sunrise and sunset. But unless you're out there by the coast there isn't much to capture inland.

Are those posters you see shot locally? Do note if that's what you're after, you're better off shooting in foreign places. The quality of light in Singapore, IMHO, isn't fantastic.

Then again with PhotoShop anything is possible these days eh?

Hey Paul,

You want nice scenery?
For sunny day, when using PL filter, the sun best is on your left or right, for frontal lighting PL filter will not darken the sky.

When during cloudy day, us ND gradual filter or PS it.

When shooting sunrise and sunset, best timing window is only 5~10 mins

Check out Ortega and Eikin’s gallery, you will know that they learn to see things creatively, even a long kang, mud pool, toilet basin also can produce interesting pictures.

Camera is just a tool, the more important thing is you eyes.

zonoyono said:
may be get a medium or large format camera.?. hehe and also abit of luck on the weather. have to be patient.. ;)

hehehhe... yup.... large format ROCKS for scenic shots..

but most of all, as someone mentioned.. u have to learn how to judge the elements of weather, and most imptly, to learn how to COMPOSE your shot first.

Know what u want to shoot, knowing how to meter and where to meter correctly. (3d matrix or multi segment metering no count ah..) and then waiiiiiiiiiit for the right moment..

I started out shooting landscapes with my cheapo fm2, and a 28mm.. moved on to a 645, difference was BIG..and am now doing 4x5s for landscapes... SHIOK!!!

Paul_Yeo said:
when is the golden hours? 7 to 8am and 6 to 7pm?? :embrass:

There's no hard and fast rule, not when it comes to dealing with Mother Nature. When it's cloudy then prob no golden hours. You just have to get up earlier more often and see for yourself.

be a true singaporean and be kiasu, go early to recce and compose,
then wait for mother nature to show you her beauty (or not)

i always got the back lighting problem. the sky is very bright and the faraway landscape is dark, and thus, either the landscape will be underexposed or the sky will be overexposed. :embrass:

Paul_Yeo said:
i always got the back lighting problem. the sky is very bright and the faraway landscape is dark, and thus, either the landscape will be underexposed or the sky will be overexposed. :embrass:

u can take 2 frames and combine them digitally.

Paul_Yeo said:
Are you talking about sunrise or sunset?

If not, you went at the wrong timing, or face the wrong direction.

Anyway, bad weather also take nice picture, unless you want your pictures just like the souvenir postcard.

Check this out

Status
Not open for further replies.