how to take nice concert photo with a point & shoot camera?

dthh79

Sep 14, 2006
sg
Hi everyone, i would like to know is it poosible to take nice concert photos with a point & shoot camera,wat setting should i use, i tried auto, night, manual setting f2.8 iso 64000, photos still turn out ugly, i'm using fujifilm f50fd, tks:)

usually compact shd be quite hard...but i hv seen decent results using prosumers cam...

Btw you nv mentioned how much focal length ur cam can zoom...I bet the aperture will drop alot from f2.8 after max zoom correct? this makes ur lens darker.. then usually, compact has smaller sensor which results in rather huge noise grain even though ur cam has high iso spec. Have u tested wat's the max iso tt u can go before colour/luminance noise gets too obvious and awful?
Maybe can try to convince urself nt to get too greedy during zoom as the more u zoom, the darker it gets...if the framing can cover the whole stage and lighting then probably good enuff...

I think you try out the focal length and iso combi for max tolerance so tt u can get decent images. Other than this, I can only think of: hold your cam steady to prevent handshake...:D

my 2 cts... though i still hv prob taking stage with dslr...

Hi everyone, i would like to know is it poosible to take nice concert photos with a point & shoot camera,wat setting should i use, i tried auto, night, manual setting f2.8 iso 64000, photos still turn out ugly, i'm using fujifilm f50fd, tks:)

You mean ISO6400? Define ugly.

example picture please :)

I think even DX-format DSLR with kit lens, no flash and dim lighting will have problem photographing stage events.

I think even DX-format DSLR with kit lens, no flash and dim lighting will have problem photographing stage events.

2nd tat anytm...most of the tm, lens is D Most impt thingy...maybe for compact, you can still experiment on coming with an optimal setting that can pls yourself??

26145_390029663200_683648200_3815089_2665513_n.jpg

this is the pic taken lor ugly :(

Sorry don't mean to off topic but can I bring my dslr to let's say concerts held at singapore indoor stadium?

If not I'm planning to bring my s90. Do u guys think it will be good enough ie F2 aperture to take decent post worthy pics?

Sorry don't mean to off topic but can I bring my dslr to let's say concerts held at singapore indoor stadium?

If not I'm planning to bring my s90. Do u guys think it will be good enough ie F2 aperture to take decent post worthy pics?

Technically, you shouldn't even be shooting with compact cameras. And no, a DSLR will attract the attention of very big men.

Stop shooting, enjoy the concert.

Wow thanks for the speedy reply. Big men indeed. I just wanna take pics for rememberance sake not so much of getting reviews for my pics. Yup will enjoy the concert :)

with poor lighting conditions, even taking pictures with a dslr at 6400 iso and 300mm f2.8 is tough.

Technically, you shouldn't even be shooting with compact cameras. And no, a DSLR will attract the attention of very big men.

Stop shooting, enjoy the concert.

100% confirm no DSLR for concert???

If there is an ideal world, it would be

1) Fast lenses
2) Excellent noise control
3) Discrete, small sized camera
4) Good seating position

100% confirm no DSLR for concert???
You need to check the specific terms and conditions of some concerts.

There have been many ugly incidents where security targets "professional cameras".

Guess what is their definition of "professional"?

Some shoots I took using compact cam Sony T100 a few years back using just ISO 200.

830039596_16c30c8e9f.jpg

829231755_2156bf09e8.jpg

Some shoots I took using compact cam Sony T100 a few years back using just ISO 200.

any flash? auto? any setting u have made?

You need to check the specific terms and conditions of some concerts.

There have been many ugly incidents where security targets "professional cameras".

Guess what is their definition of "professional"?

The recent 2 concerts I have attended at Singapore Indoor Stadium saw no intervention from the security regarding photography. Hence I was able to happily shoot away on my 50D with batt grip, standing up, and without resorting to my less than polish "Shoot & Hide" technique.

Wonder why the change in attitude?:dunno:

Anyhoo, couple of Sammi Cheng concert shots (2 April 2010) to share:

1)
4496500671_347aa10c28.jpg

2)
4493072483_6167ee328b.jpg

Every concerts stated no photos and video allow.
Bringing in compact camera should not be a problem.
8 out of 10 bring Compact camera, I just never see anyone bring DSLR before for the past concerts i have attended.

Guanlim: Nice shot!

Every concerts stated no photos and video allow.
Bringing in compact camera should not be a problem.
8 out of 10 bring Compact camera, I just never see anyone bring DSLR before for the past concerts i have attended.

Guanlim: Nice shot!

Thanks!

I've attended at least half a dozen concerts for the past year in either Singapore Indoor Stadium or Max Pavillion. The securities are almost non-existent in Max Pavillion while their counterparts in Singapore Indoor Stadium are over the top.

I've seen people carrying 2 bodies and tripod into Max Pavillion and the security doesn't even bat an eyelid (No, he is not the event photographer as he was sitting couple of rows behind me)

For Indoor Stadium, I usually have to break up the body and lens before hand. I would then stuff the body into my back pocket and my lens into my waist pouch when clearing securities. Once inside, I'll have to wait till the lights is off before I can play "shoot and hide" with the securities. I would almost always get caught halfway through as I usually sit in the first few rows from the stage.

However, for the last two concert at Indoor Stadium, there had been no problems for DSLR shooters. As I said I was able to happily fire away whilst standing.

Think I'll bring a 70-200 f2.8 for the next concert.:)

Thanks!

I've attended at least half a dozen concerts for the past year in either Singapore Indoor Stadium or Max Pavillion. The securities are almost non-existent in Max Pavillion while their counterparts in Singapore Indoor Stadium are over the top.

I've seen people carrying 2 bodies and tripod into Max Pavillion and the security doesn't even bat an eyelid (No, he is not the event photographer as he was sitting couple of rows behind me)

For Indoor Stadium, I usually have to break up the body and lens before hand. I would then stuff the body into my back pocket and my lens into my waist pouch when clearing securities. Once inside, I'll have to wait till the lights is off before I can play "shoot and hide" with the securities. I would almost always get caught halfway through as I usually sit in the first few rows from the stage.

However, for the last two concert at Indoor Stadium, there had been no problems for DSLR shooters. As I said I was able to happily fire away whilst standing.

Think I'll bring a 70-200 f2.8 for the next concert.:)

I suggest u stop disclosing all ur info on how to bring a dslr into a concert hall. Coz seem like you are informing the organizer/official photographer how pple bring in their dslr.