How to take my own passport photo at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrericlee

Sep 27, 2008
Singapore
Hi Guys,

I have a Canon 40D and a Sony Picturestation.

I am assuming I should be able to produce my own passport photos?

Any tips on how I should start? How to set up backdrop, resize, etc.

Regards,
Eric Lee

The above list is correct. Just to addon, proper lighting is important too. The last time i took for my kid, shadows were found on the mahjong paper when i use the flash. In the end, light up my living room and take with flash.

background must be white enough to let them accept, else they will reject.
if needed, make use of PS to whiten the background.

Bounced flash off the ceiling SHOULD solve the problem of shadows being cast onto the white background by the flash.
I went a bit further and placed a fluorescent lamp behind me to remove the shadows even further, so as to minimize the editing required.

Bounced flash off the ceiling SHOULD solve the problem of shadows being cast onto the white background by the flash.
I went a bit further and placed a fluorescent lamp behind me to remove the shadows even further, so as to minimize the editing required.

Just set the person about 1 feet away from the BG and use bounced flash with a bounce card, shadows reduced.

good information to take note of. Thanks for the url .. ;)

i guess everyone DIY cos of the high rates that studios charge... man..6 dollars for 4 shots is crazy lah...

i DIY and then placed 21 copies on an a4 size file n sent for printing @ the studio, super 8R. u should see the boss' face when he saw wat i was printing...damn black cos S8R only 6 dollars or something...

not sure why the site ortega posted never show that the eye and nose iirc must be at certain height and size. shot for my sister and myself, no problem. easy as abc.

only problem is need credit card in apply online. i had to use my sister's cc no.

i guess everyone DIY cos of the high rates that studios charge... man..6 dollars for 4 shots is crazy lah...

i DIY and then placed 21 copies on an a4 size file n sent for printing @ the studio, super 8R. u should see the boss' face when he saw wat i was printing...damn black cos S8R only 6 dollars or something...
$6 for 4 is the price for passport photo done by those neighborhood digilab.

If it is a studio, should be $18 onwards, average is $35.

btw, you can squeeze 8 pieces of passport photo into a piece of 4R print, 10 pieces of 4R is still cheaper than a piece of S8R print, and you get 80 pieces of passport.

not sure why the site ortega posted never show that the eye and nose iirc must be at certain height and size. shot for my sister and myself, no problem. easy as abc.

only problem is need credit card in apply online. i had to use my sister's cc no.
think this requirement is clear enough...

(iii) Taken with the image of your face measuring between 25 mm and 35 mm from chin to crown of head;

it was much easier when i did it, they provided a sample photo with 2 lines drawn to show the position of the eyes and nose / mouth (cant remember). so just down load that photo and open in the editing software, placing the photos side by side. :thumbsup:

if you are applying for passport, remember one of the biggest problem is that the high MP count of the camera means your pic will not be less than 60KB....
i tried submitting one ay about 200KB and the system rejected it....
one way is to save as jpg at average setting, then only will the file size be around 60KB.

also, no need to touch up the pic quality a lot or wear clothings with nice colours, cause the new passport with biometric uses B&W photos... ha ha :)

it was much easier when i did it, they provided a sample photo with 2 lines drawn to show the position of the eyes and nose / mouth (cant remember). so just down load that photo and open in the editing software, placing the photos side by side. :thumbsup:

You will need to go into the application then you get the photo with the 2 lines.. then after that if you're slow in your editing, the application will time out...... Very silly.. Why don't they show the photo somewhere before you start the application process....

You will need to go into the application then you get the photo with the 2 lines.. then after that if you're slow in your editing, the application will time out...... Very silly.. Why don't they show the photo somewhere before you start the application process....

thats true, but i only consider that to be a minor inconvenience compare the going down to office to apply. maybe they should have one sample for people to download before logining in?

If you're wearing specs, yr lens must have totally no reflections.

how big should the size of the photo be when i print it out?how do i arrange the pictures together such that i can print all 10 of it in 1 4R picture?

Regard,
Norman

how big should the size of the photo be when i print it out?how do i arrange the pictures together such that i can print all 10 of it in 1 4R picture?

Regard,
Norman

4R = 6 by 4 inches

therefore, if you use photoshop to create a 4R canvas, you can only fit 8 passport-size images on it.

from the previous posts, pp size shld be 35mm(w) by 45mm(l).

i assume you are going to print it from a studio???

Status
Not open for further replies.