How to take Group photo of 150-180 people with the 11-22mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raptor1

Sep 29, 2003
Singapore
kr.sg
Dear all,
today while having my event committee planning, i encountered a problem that i need some professional advice from the bros' here. As above, how would you guys take a photo of 150-180 people using an 11-22mm lens? The camera would be placed on a tripod @ ground/(slightly elevated) level. Assuming it is an outdoor shoot, say in some school field or something, how would you guys arrange the people? (think somesort of a major class photo).

Thanks in advance,
Raptor1

sorry but i think there's a very similar question to this as well. hope you can do a search. hmmm i can say get a platform and nessasary things like tripod and cable release. and if its outdoor, be careful of the lightings. i really don't know much about this =)

Elevation and tripod are necessary.
Based on my personal experience, a 2nd floor elevation could easily get you 200+ peeps at 27mm, (friend was using a 20D with 17-40mm L).

I had my 18-180mm that day, could get the whole group in at the same elevation as well, albeit at 18mm. ;)

i think whatever arrangements are, it's important to note that the results of the shoot should have the size of their faces that is recognizeable(meaning not too small). just get their faces as big as possible. one more thing.........try to make sure everyone's FULL face is captured. sometimes you tend to get partial face....which is not good.

my 2 cents worth.

Yes, was thinking of that too. Currently still planning out on how about am i going to take a picture of the whole group. Thanks for all advice. elevation might be a problem as i don't remember of any elevated place near the field.. hmmz.. ^_^

You've got to complete the frame, probably shoot from above ground level, and prepare to use F-stops of 22 and above if you're intending to give everyone fair face exposure. If you don't mind the aberration, you'd probably want to turn up the sharpness, avoid positioning people at the edges of the frame, and not use the extreme short-end of your 11-22 lens.

How about any open space outside the school where you could shoot from buildings (elevated from ground)? Also take note of lighting direction.

how about everyone in the group hug each other real tight? heh heh :bsmilie:

well, will try. As for hugging each other.. ermz.. we will leave that to next time ^_^

150-180 people group photo can be quite a challenge without suitable venue. Some more want to see each clearly. Without distortion, especially to those at the two ends, I supposed.

Few ingenious methods I can think of (other than hugging suggested):
  1. stitch the few shots together
  2. superimpose individual shots
  3. sit on each other's lap to compress the group size
  4. take from higher floor with all of them standing shoulder-to-shoulder in a circle and looking 90-degrees upwards (taking faces only)
  5. take them in the swimming pool...

Seriously, if you have the steps of City Hall, I think even a 14-54 lens at the wide-end can do. If you have less vertical space/apparatus, the wider 11-22 seems to be the only alternative in the ZD arsenal. 7-14 I think will be too much distortion. At the distance you will be standing, the lens should be able to take care of the depth-of-field.

Good luck, and try to show us the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.