How to take good dogs pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

binbeto

Jan 18, 2002
Behind a lens
www.pbase.com
I have 3 dogs.. But many attempt to take their photo turn out lousy... can see their feature clearly..

My dogs are 2 white and 1 black... Does this two colour make it harder or???

Thanks in advance.

Using A20.

Originally posted by binbeto
I have 3 dogs.. But many attempt to take their photo turn out lousy... can see their feature clearly..

My dogs are 2 white and 1 black... Does this two colour make it harder or???

Thanks in advance.

Using A20.

Lousy pix but can see feature clearly??? Kinda contradicting...can u give some more details? Or better, post a couple of pix?

White and black may cause problem cos the auto-exposure system tends to overexpose the surrounding of black subject and under-expose that of white subjects. The auto-focus may have probelm with very dark objects too.

U can use EV compensation in the Canon A20 for this though...maybe u give it a try??? ;)

Me hardest.....whenever I tried to take my dog, he will move around or move close to my camera....might as well switch to macro mode :(

Only time I can take him in peace is when he's sleeping :D

Originally posted by Jayan

Lousy pix but can see feature clearly??? Kinda contradicting...can u give some more details? Or better, post a couple of pix?

White and black may cause problem cos the auto-exposure system tends to overexpose the surrounding of black subject and under-expose that of white subjects. The auto-focus may have probelm with very dark objects too.

U can use EV compensation in the Canon A20 for this though...maybe u give it a try??? ;)

Oops...! I meant to say can't see properly... only a big mess...
If i switch on flash, the " red eye" efect will appear...and dog's red eye effect is far worse than human ones.. Very hard to fix...

Will try again.. Maybe too close...

And they really do move a lot.. hard to keep them still..

Originally posted by Blitz
Me hardest.....whenever I tried to take my dog, he will move around or move close to my camera....might as well switch to macro mode :(

Only time I can take him in peace is when he's sleeping :D

Get a TC and switch to Manual or SP mode..then shoot from afar if u want the most natural poses from ur doggie...if not instictively it'll move close to u when u are near.

Oops...! I meant to say can't see properly... only a big mess...
If i switch on flash, the " red eye" efect will appear...and dog's red eye effect is far worse than human ones.. Very hard to fix...

Will try again.. Maybe too close...

And they really do move a lot.. hard to keep them still..

See my previous post foir Blitz....and try using red-eye reduction flash when within flash range.

Get a TC and switch to Manual or SP mode..then shoot from afar if u want the most natural poses from ur doggie...if not instictively it'll move close to u when u are near.

Hee one at a time ah....TC needs money too :D

Thanks for the suggestion!

See my previous post foir Blitz....and try using red-eye reduction flash when within flash range.

animal's red eye effect could be very different from humans' cos the structure of the eyes are a bit different. read an article once but couldn't remember the link.

Originally posted by mpenza

animal's red eye effect could be very different from humans' cos the structure of the eyes are a bit different. read an article once but couldn't remember the link.

Yap.. totally different... The "red eye" flash do really work with them...

Originally posted by mpenza

The principle of how eyes operate are the same for all mammals, even though the structure may be different (cat eyes???).

The pupil open wide to let in more light (night time) and reduce in size to limited the amount the light (day time)...just like the aoperture of a camera.

Therefore, red eye flash should also work for doggies and kitties, just like for human being......just remember not to 'flash' them in extremely dark conditions as the intensity of the flash may hurt their sensitive eyes.

By the way, this applies for human being too! :eek:

The principle of how eyes operate are the same for all mammals, even though the structure may be different (cat eyes???).

The pupil open wide to let in more light (night time) and reduce in size to limited the amount the light (day time)...just like the aoperture of a camera.

Therefore, red eye flash should also work for doggies and kitties, just like for human being......just remember not to 'flash' them in extremely dark conditions as the intensity of the flash may hurt their sensitive eyes.

By the way, this applies for human being too! :eek:

Jayan, really dun work lah..
Or at least dun work as well... Maybe their eyes react slower to light as it is a duble flash to cause the pupil of the human's eye to constrict... If the pupil dun constrict in time for the 2nd falsh which is when the pic is taken.. Red eye will still appear.

Jayan, really dun work lah..
Or at least dun work as well... Maybe their eyes react slower to light as it is a duble flash to cause the pupil of the human's eye to constrict... If the pupil dun constrict in time for the 2nd falsh which is when the pic is taken.. Red eye will still appear.

Hmmm.....quite a bit of headache, eh???

The other few solutions are

1) Use no flash but longer exposure + wider exposure to compensate --> prone to motion blur.

2) Direct sport lights onto subjects, just like in photo studio, so that ur doggies pupils are smaller + u get ample lighting--> may not be possible at home.

3) On all lights to max brightness (for adjustable types) at home --> easiest to do, but some lights may still be too dim even at max...then still need flash.

4) Take outdoors in broad daylight --> Ample lighting, fast shutter to 'freeze' the motion, but you must be free to do so lah!

5) Post-processing --> last resort.

The key here is to make ur doggies pupils smaller so that the light won't reflect off their retinues when their pupils are wide open during low-light conditions.

Last time I took pix of my bunny...but his eye naturally red...so I don't have this kinda 'red-eye' problem. :p

Hmmm.....quite a bit of headache, eh???

1) Use no flash but longer exposure + wider exposure to compensate --> prone to motion blur.

4) Take outdoors in broad daylight --> Ample lighting, fast shutter to 'freeze' the motion, but you must be free to do so lah!

5) Post-processing --> last resort.

Last time I took pix of my bunny...but his eye naturally red...so I don't have this kinda 'red-eye' problem. :p

Ya lah.. Headache lah... Hee hee

Try the longer exposure liao... Living, hyperactive dogs.... Can't lah.. :p

Think only way is to bring them out after the rain stop.. :)

Ya lah.. Headache lah... Hee hee

Try the longer exposure liao... Living, hyperactive dogs.... Can't lah.. :p

Think only way is to bring them out after the rain stop.. :)

Boh bian lah...think will have to wait till next week for the weather to clear.

Just remember to pix some pix of ur doggies for us to admire!!! ;)

Blitz: didnt know you have a dog too...

I have one puppy too...actually my rush to buy my 2040z is becos of wanted to capture the growth of my little puppy..

Which breed u have? Mine is a westie

Originally posted by volk
Blitz: didnt know you have a dog too...

I have one puppy too...actually my rush to buy my 2040z is becos of wanted to capture the growth of my little puppy..

Which breed u have? Mine is a westie

Mine is a shetland collie, 3 yrs old liao, still very naughty :)

Ok oK.. if i good enuf with photoshop, I do those wedding photo effects ok? Hee hee..

"wedding photo effect' for ur doggies.....don't tell me that u r dressing them up as groom and bride....someone did it b4...very cute!!!!!;)

"wedding photo effect' for ur doggies.....don't tell me that u r dressing them up as groom and bride....someone did it b4...very cute!!!!!;)

I got 3 male... can't lah.. wait they become homo.. :p

See what I can do loh..

Status
Not open for further replies.