How to take good commencement event photos at NUS cultural centre?

Status
Not open for further replies.

silence

Dec 2, 2006
Somewhere at the west..
Dear all,

Need some help in the above topic. Will be going for a friend's PhD commencement at NUS tomorrow evening. I intend to bring my D50+50mm F1.8+SB600 there to help her and my other friends take some small group and portrait photos before the event starts(which means it's outside at the event hall). May I know how I should make use of the lens and SB600 to obtain those good lighting and soft color effects? As this is the first time I am using an external flash in an indoor event, I really do not have much idea how to go about it... What setting should I use? Do I need to bounce or diffuse the flash?

Thanks a million!!

;p

since the ceiling will be very high...

bounce to the top dont really work...
can use the bounce card to make it work.. diffuse is also good.. maybe can just trail and error first before u start.

U might want to reconsider the 50 F1.8, though its 1.8 (very useful!), but 50mm means u gotta move very very very very far back before u can get a full body shot.. so i recommend u to bring WA, like a 17mm-XX type.. kit lens.. more useful for group shots..

hmm, if u are shooting stage from an audience seat, 50mm aint enough.. hah.. u gotta get a telephoto... pref one with the VR.. low light!

oh ya.. set at least iso400 to expose ambient light.. then its nicer..

ya... haha... I only got one prime F1.8.... so guess I will make do with it.. I will also be bringing my 18-200mm there just in case. anyhow I dont think I will be sitting in the audience to take stage photos(let the pro and $$$ do it for my friend haha!)..

Any ideas wat exposure F stops settings are good? is 1/60 and F4-5.6 ok? Or should I just play around? I would prefer more ambience lights and not so "oily" faces hahahaaa... thanks for any advices....

Really would depend on the lighting conditions in the hall at the time as well as outdoors. NO one magic exposure to use...

Dear all,

Need some help in the above topic. Will be going for a friend's PhD commencement at NUS tomorrow evening. I intend to bring my D50+50mm F1.8+SB600 there to help her and my other friends take some small group and portrait photos before the event starts(which means it's outside at the event hall). May I know how I should make use of the lens and SB600 to obtain those good lighting and soft color effects? As this is the first time I am using an external flash in an indoor event, I really do not have much idea how to go about it... What setting should I use? Do I need to bounce or diffuse the flash?

Thanks a million!!

;p

50mm is a bit long if you're shooting group photos. Use your 18-200. The 50mm may be useful for portrait shots when shooting outside UCC. Bouncing the flash is ok if there is a ceiling for you to do so. I'm near impossible to bouce in the hall itself because it's 6 stories high inside.

Dear all..

Thanks for all the advises.. In the end I decided to use my 50mm thru out from outdoor to indoor(because of the sharpness).. I just use the SB600 flash direct with the diffuser on ... Aperture priority 2-2.8, Flash EV+0.3 and ISO400. All the photos turn out very very warm and nice!!! As our group is about 4-5 people, therefore group photos are not a big problem.. Very satisfied with the results of the photos...... ;p

Status
Not open for further replies.