How to take colour-rich photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fameasser84

Mar 30, 2009
Hi,

I understand that grass in Singapore is not the greenest of all but I can't help but noticed many pros posting very colour-rich pictures here. Are they edited by photoshop? Or we can actually take very colour-rich pictures with our camera? I'm using 450D with kit lens and need advices to take colour-rich pictures. Comments are greatly appreciated!

you can up the saturation in-camera , or you can increase it in post-processing.

You can play around with Vibrance, Saturation etc. in many post processing softwares.

You can play with the colour mode:

2009-06-25_190953.jpg

if u are using lightroom,you can play with the Colour/HSL/'something else forgot liao_On the color mode.

It could also be due to the lighting at that point of time. Different direction. intensity, contast of the light can make a difference in the saturation of your colours. :)

Of course, photoshop will get you your saturation too.

It could also be due to the lighting at that point of time. Different direction. intensity, contast of the light can make a difference in the saturation of your colours. :)

Second that! Before messing around with images in PS or LR let's make sure that the light captured is of good quality. Also, let's not forget that colour-rich photos are not always needed.

Ok thanks guys... shall try it out...

I second the Saturation / Hue correction in CameraRaw as well. Bumping it up +2 to +3 immediately shows results.

To make grass look greener.. increase saturation of Yellow instead of green. Than increase contrast to taste.

With correct lighting and exposure we should be able to get colour-rich photos. (the subject must be colour-rich in the first place).

Good lighting is also important... i.e. shooting at noon won't typically give you good colours as the lighting is usually harsh.

Same subject taken on a cloudy and sunny day.

DSC01293Medium.jpg

DSC01302Medium.jpg

It's all about the light and the exposure... make sure it's exposed properly... when it's under-exposed, all the colours will look very dull....

My friends always recommend me to look out for places with strong contrasting primary colours in one scene, e.g a scene where it has bright blue, red and yellow colours, quite aptly illustrated by the 2 pictures above, but of course good lighting and exposure is very important as well.

One place i would recommend is little india with its richly diversed cultural icons and colours and also, do keep a lookout for fruit stalls with its mutlicoloured fruits layout. It should turn out quite nice.

Not sure if you can change the colour curve in your camera. I know it can be done for nikon cameras. It was a great help to my old D70. You might want to consider doing hdr shots.

Not sure if you can change the colour curve in your camera. I know it can be done for nikon cameras. It was a great help to my old D70. You might want to consider doing hdr shots.

HDR is to overcome the limited dynamic range of a digital sensor. Has nothing to do with getting more punch in colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.