How to take colour-rich photos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 30, 2009
Hi,

I understand that grass in Singapore is not the greenest of all but I can't help but noticed many pros posting very colour-rich pictures here. Are they edited by photoshop? Or we can actually take very colour-rich pictures with our camera? I'm using 450D with kit lens and need advices to take colour-rich pictures. Comments are greatly appreciated!

coolin

Sep 1, 2008
Pasir Ris
you can up the saturation in-camera , or you can increase it in post-processing.

kriz91

Jun 25, 2009
You can play around with Vibrance, Saturation etc. in many post processing softwares.

dorts

Mar 10, 2007
SG
It could also be due to the lighting at that point of time. Different direction. intensity, contast of the light can make a difference in the saturation of your colours. :)

Of course, photoshop will get you your saturation too.

Octarine

Staff member
Jan 3, 2008
Pasir Ris
It could also be due to the lighting at that point of time. Different direction. intensity, contast of the light can make a difference in the saturation of your colours. :)
Second that! Before messing around with images in PS or LR let's make sure that the light captured is of good quality. Also, let's not forget that colour-rich photos are not always needed.

Sivakis

Sep 26, 2008
I second the Saturation / Hue correction in CameraRaw as well. Bumping it up +2 to +3 immediately shows results.

m3lv1nh0

Sep 24, 2007
Serangoon North
To make grass look greener.. increase saturation of Yellow instead of green. Than increase contrast to taste.

Diavonex

Sep 23, 2008
Admiralty
With correct lighting and exposure we should be able to get colour-rich photos. (the subject must be colour-rich in the first place).

2evans

Nov 8, 2007
Good lighting is also important... i.e. shooting at noon won't typically give you good colours as the lighting is usually harsh.

zac08

Feb 21, 2005
East
It's all about the light and the exposure... make sure it's exposed properly... when it's under-exposed, all the colours will look very dull....

alvinz

May 1, 2006
My friends always recommend me to look out for places with strong contrasting primary colours in one scene, e.g a scene where it has bright blue, red and yellow colours, quite aptly illustrated by the 2 pictures above, but of course good lighting and exposure is very important as well.

One place i would recommend is little india with its richly diversed cultural icons and colours and also, do keep a lookout for fruit stalls with its mutlicoloured fruits layout. It should turn out quite nice.

smile_gerard

Jan 18, 2006
Singapore
Not sure if you can change the colour curve in your camera. I know it can be done for nikon cameras. It was a great help to my old D70. You might want to consider doing hdr shots.

calebk

Jul 25, 2006
Clementi
Not sure if you can change the colour curve in your camera. I know it can be done for nikon cameras. It was a great help to my old D70. You might want to consider doing hdr shots.
HDR is to overcome the limited dynamic range of a digital sensor. Has nothing to do with getting more punch in colours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom