How to take care and clean your camera bag?

mobilecrazed

Nov 9, 2009
Hi all,

Want to seek your advises on how to care and clean your camera bags? I have a bag which I have not really used for awhile, except only when traveling, and while preparing for my latest trip, i find it abit dusty and worried about mould festering in unknown corners as the room I kept it in has some mould issues. Besides sunning the said bag, will you all throw it into the washing machine to wash, or wipe clean the entire bag with alcohol solution(read these advise while searching online)? Looking at the lousy weather these few days, I worry that I may not have enough time to dry it before my trip. I am leaving next monday, and the bag is a Lowepro Primus AW.

:think::think:

Just wash it and let it dry at an well-aired place. Did the same with my bag, was ready for usage again after 2 days. If you start today it will b ready when you leave.

mobilecrazed said:
Hi all,

Want to seek your advises on how to care and clean your camera bags? I have a bag which I have not really used for awhile, except only when traveling, and while preparing for my latest trip, i find it abit dusty and worried about mould festering in unknown corners as the room I kept it in has some mould issues. Besides sunning the said bag, will you all throw it into the washing machine to wash, or wipe clean the entire bag with alcohol solution(read these advise while searching online)? Looking at the lousy weather these few days, I worry that I may not have enough time to dry it before my trip. I am leaving next monday, and the bag is a Lowepro Primus AW.

:think::think:

That is why when I don't use the bag, I keep it in a big plastic bag and in it with a dehumidifier agent to keep it mould free.

Use Dettol or similar antiseptic when you wipe it. The stuff kills bacteria, works on mould.

Take out all the dividers, open the bag out, and sun it. Done.

I just air it for days...

Next monday? well im sure it will be dry by then.

I always try to keep my bags in a dry place.. if i dont use it.. then once in awhile ill go "touch it" so to ensure it dont collect too much dust.

I don't own a backpack, but considering one. Does body "salt" ever create problem on backpacks? I can sweat quite heavily especially when walking in the wild...I only "sun" my sling bag. But my cheapo backpack (for water and etc...) gets "salt" powered when dry...

I don't own a backpack, but considering one. Does body "salt" ever create problem on backpacks? I can sweat quite heavily especially when walking in the wild...I only "sun" my sling bag. But my cheapo backpack (for water and etc...) gets "salt" powered when dry...

You have to air it well (best to leave it in the sun) to remove all the moisture from the spongy materials.

Thanks for all the suggestions, even the plastic bag with dehumidifier. I have leaning towards washing it, but there are some hard inserts which is giving me second thoughts about leaving it in the washing machine. Nonetheless, I will update what I have done with the backpack here before I leave. :)

Hi all, in case anyone was in the dilemma as I was, here's what I did to my camera bag for cleaning. I didn't wash it in the washing machine as there was some plastic material inside the bag(to maintain the shape, I guess). I basically use a pail of water mixed with some dettol and set about wiping the entire bag with the liquid. After that its basically sunning for a few days to ensure no residual moisture is available. Of course if you wish to or generally don't care, you can just dump the bag into a washing machine and dry it after that. I just feel better. That and ensure that the dirt are removed. Hope that helps :)