how to take a shot in the church tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee2003

Nov 28, 2003
Paya Lebar
Dear All,

What sort of settings should I employed to get a good shot of the Church, shooting from the second floor looking downwards. The church will be lighted but not really bright. I am using a canon A80. Thank you

i m not canon user. but i thk i can give sme small pointers for you.. user aperture piorty in the A80.. and make sure you have a VERY and steady hands.. as it is a low light enviroment .. the shutter will be low..

Hi.. Thanks for the tip. I will be using a tripod for the shots as I will be on the 2nd level looking down.

Alright so I should choose aperture priority instead of going fully manual? Pardon me if I am all mixed up here. Thanks

Been shooting with a nikon 885 previously and simply clueless with this new fancy A80 even though I have been studying the manual like taking the A's :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Thanks

Suggestions;

1. Use a tripod. Alternatively, steady the camera against a balustrade or wall.
2. Turn off the flash (useless at distances more than 3m)
3. Choose the right white balance setting (fluorescent, tungsten etc). Not sure about candle lit church though, can try cloudy setting.
4. Use largest aperture setting (small aperture will give long shutter speeds which may cause moving objects to be blurry, as well as high ISO which causes picture to be "noisy"). Can try a smaller aperture setting if the subject is still.
5. Use the highest quality JPEG setting and largest image size (4mp).

Hi Zaren,

Thanks for the tips. Should I go for aperture priority as suggested or ?? Thanks again to Zaren and Luval for the simple but yet invaluable tips. :bsmilie:

Yes, go for aperture priority.

Hi Lee2003,

Taking pics of the Xmas midnite mass?

Don't forget to share your pics with us in the gallery! :)

Cheers,
Zaren

:bsmilie: Yup have the opportunity to be at the right place at the right time to take some amatuer shots of the midnight service today.

I will try to get some decent shots with everyone's invaluable advice. Had this baby only for 2 weeks didn't really have much time with it yet :bigeyes:

Tonight will be essentially the first time I am doing a great deal of shooting with the camera. Will shoot shoot shoot shoot and shoot hehehe

Well I guess for a new new newbie like me. Hopefully a 100 shots will yield me a good enough image for all to critique and comment :bsmilie:

Have yourself a Blessed Christmas Zaren and Luval

Use aperture-priority and set your aperture to the widest. You need to have as much light as possible and at the same time compensated by the higher speed which you need because of the activities.

If you consistently shoot in church or in low-light, you may eventually end up with a SLR.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.