How to take a Panning shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosea

Apr 20, 2004
Singapore
www.stanleykay.com
Any good tips for shooting a good panning shot?
Can someone share with me what should be the correct Aperture & shuttle ?
Thanks in advance.

It depends on the speed of the moving object...
As a guideline.. I set mine to S priority..

For cars, I use 1/80s..
For Bicycles, I use 1/30s.. (Old man cycling, also assuming he's cycling near to your side of road)

willyfoo said:
It depends on the speed of the moving object...
As a guideline.. I set mine to S priority..

For cars, I use 1/80s..
For Bicycles, I use 1/30s.. (Old man cycling, also assuming he's cycling near to your side of road)

Thanks Willy for these tips.
I would like to try on a cycling shot . I am wondering how much swing movement do I need inorder to get a good shot. Swing also tends to
blur my focus subject.How could I minimize the blur .
Should I use tripod, can tripod helps? :dunno:

Hosea said:
Thanks Willy for these tips.
I would like to try on a cycling shot . I am wondering how much swing movement do I need inorder to get a good shot. Swing also tends to
blur my focus subject.How could I minimize the blur .
Should I use tripod, can tripod helps? :dunno:

A tripod wouldn't be of much help unless you use a good head with a panning base. The whole point of panning is to get the background blur but with the subject in focus, so a bit of blur is good. To minimise blur in the subject, you must practise your panning speed and motion, no two ways about it.

As you see the subject coming in towards, keep your subject dead centre on your autofocus sensors while panning your camera to follow the subject. Click on the shutter (still moving your camera and with your autofocus sensor still on subject), and continue panning (follow through). Stop only when you are sure the shutter has closed.

justarius said:
A tripod wouldn't be of much help unless you use a good head with a panning base. The whole point of panning is to get the background blur but with the subject in focus, so a bit of blur is good. To minimise blur in the subject, you must practise your panning speed and motion, no two ways about it.

As you see the subject coming in towards, keep your subject dead centre on your autofocus sensors while panning your camera to follow the subject. Click on the shutter (still moving your camera and with your autofocus sensor still on subject), and continue panning (follow through). Stop only when you are sure the shutter has closed.

Thanks Justarius for your guide.
Think I need to practise a lot on the "swing " motion to get a good panning shot.
I wish to see :bigeyes: some real good panning shots in this forum and also sharing on how it was taken.
Willy and Justarius, do you have some good panning shots to share?

Hosea said:
Thanks Justarius for your guide.
Think I need to practise a lot on the "swing " motion to get a good panning shot.
I wish to see :bigeyes: some real good panning shots in this forum and also sharing on how it was taken.
Willy and Justarius, do you have some good panning shots to share?

hehe I'm also beginner like you, need to practise somemore. Tried practising what I preached at a marathon 2 weeks ago, still need more practise, but when I have time to scan in the pictures, I might upload some here (but don't hold your breath) :D

justarius said:
hehe I'm also beginner like you, need to practise somemore. Tried practising what I preached at a marathon 2 weeks ago, still need more practise, but when I have time to scan in the pictures, I might upload some here (but don't hold your breath) :D

Thanks and look forward for your Photo sharing.
I will try to post one for comment but yet to get a free site to upload my photos. :eek:

Just a question.... when u do panning, do u need to keep the camera on the same height? I guess u can't do panning without a support? Like a monopod? Thanks!

I'm a newbie but this is what i have done for panning shots. Try using 2nd sync flash for panning. It works pretty well....

hmmm i got a list of approx speeds for panning i photocopied from somewhere....for panning...stand wif your feet pointing towards ya end direction....then twist ya body the other way to where u wanna start panning from...dun have to twist alot...coz its better for your waist to return to a natural position rather than from a natural position to an unnatural one....

i have some panning shots in my gallery...check out the street one....tink got one bout a motorbike...

anyway if you pan...remember the rule of thirds....dun keep the subject dead centre....not interesting...panning is to give some insight into the speed of the subject...so dun overdo it...for walking 1/60s also can....cycling 1/2 screen use 1/60 or 1/125 no prob...

TME said:
Just a question.... when u do panning, do u need to keep the camera on the same height? I guess u can't do panning without a support? Like a monopod? Thanks!

keep the camera on the same height as the subject depends on you, whether on how you want to compose the picture.

u can do panning without a support.

below is an example. this was one of the testing shots when i bought my Sigma 24-70 2.8..

large.jpg

D30
1/90s
f9.5
42.0mm
iso100

posture: standing. (but you will yield better support when sitting down, elbows resting on your thigh)

also, i use high aperture value (f9.5) so that the DOF will be more, thus resulting in lower hit-and-miss ratio. and i track the movement using the AI servo function. if you are more kiasu, take multiple shots and choose the one u like best.

just try and error bro! :)

One tip: set your focusing point to Centre, AI Servo mode.
Look through your viewfinder as your subject approaches, and then when it gets close enough just snap and shoot.

No need to use tripod...just a natural swing will do.

I practice panning shots while sitting at a bus stop. I don't use any tripod or monopod. All shots are done with shutter priority.

Here's one I have -
IMG_4446c.jpg

bravocube said:
I practice panning shots while sitting at a bus stop. I don't use any tripod or monopod. All shots are done with shutter priority.

Here's one I have -

bro what shutter speed u using?

its something hard to master with just reading from books.
its take experiences and many time of trail and error.

Haiz..... must wait until I get a DSLR then can practise lor..... film to ex and u dun know what exactly went wrong.... immediately I mean.. quite impatient lar.... :D

Hit or miss, got to try. Here is a shot taken at 1/30s I think, forgot.
potw_04_13.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.