How to take a Panning shot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
CRW_6074.jpg

This was 1/250sec, F8, shutter priority, at 160mm, continous autofocus, partial crop of image.

car taken in SC ? looks farmilar!

behyx said:
keep the camera on the same height as the subject depends on you, whether on how you want to compose the picture.

u can do panning without a support.

below is an example. this was one of the testing shots when i bought my Sigma 24-70 2.8..

large.jpg

D30
1/90s
f9.5
42.0mm
iso100

posture: standing. (but you will yield better support when sitting down, elbows resting on your thigh)

also, i use high aperture value (f9.5) so that the DOF will be more, thus resulting in lower hit-and-miss ratio. and i track the movement using the AI servo function. if you are more kiasu, take multiple shots and choose the one u like best.

just try and error bro! :)

Great Panning shots, and surprise you use F9.5 and more DOF.
Btw what is AI servo function?? too chim.. :dunno:

bravocube said:
I practice panning shots while sitting at a bus stop. I don't use any tripod or monopod. All shots are done with shutter priority.

Here's one I have -
IMG_4446c.jpg

Another good panning effect though the subject is as dark as the background.. ya do share with us the shutter and speed.. we really can learn a lot from one another experience.

tomshen said:
Hit or miss, got to try. Here is a shot taken at 1/30s I think, forgot.
potw_04_13.jpg
Tom, wow this is fantastic... do share a little more on your technique and settig with us. If you have forgotten.. maybe you can shoot another shot and share with us your good experience.. Thanks in advance..
Hope someday I can have such a good panning shot.

r32 said:
CRW_6074.jpg

This was 1/250sec, F8, shutter priority, at 160mm, continous autofocus, partial crop of image.
Very sharp subject but felt the panning effect is not so obvious, do you agree? Could it because of the higher speed you use :dunno: I'm going to try on the all the above advices including yours and see how it gonna works.
:bigeyes:

Hosea said:
Very sharp subject but felt the panning effect is not so obvious, do you agree? Could it because of the higher speed you use :dunno: I'm going to try on the all the above advices including yours and see how it gonna works.
:bigeyes:

Agreed, it isn't panned enough. It is a trade-off between subject sharpness and background blur, which can be alleviated by lots of skill. However, in such a case, the subject is one fairly small half-meter length model car moving erratically around a racetrack; which makes it a challenge just to get the focus spot-on.

And so I chose to err on the side of getting a shot than one with maximum panning effects, considering subject size, focus, and my lack of skill. :)

Witness said:
hmmm i got a list of approx speeds for panning i photocopied from somewhere....for panning...stand wif your feet pointing towards ya end direction....then twist ya body the other way to where u wanna start panning from...dun have to twist alot...coz its better for your waist to return to a natural position rather than from a natural position to an unnatural one....

i have some panning shots in my gallery...check out the street one....tink got one bout a motorbike...

anyway if you pan...remember the rule of thirds....dun keep the subject dead centre....not interesting...panning is to give some insight into the speed of the subject...so dun overdo it...for walking 1/60s also can....cycling 1/2 screen use 1/60 or 1/125 no prob...

:thumbsup: advice on standing position to prevent any hurt. Olso can learn dancing:bsmilie:
With that shutter you mentioned, what would be the F? Thanks!

r32 said:
Agreed, it isn't panned enough. It is a trade-off between subject sharpness and background blur, which can be alleviated by lots of skill. However, in such a case, the subject is one fairly small half-meter length model car moving erratically around a racetrack; which makes it a challenge just to get the focus spot-on.

And so I chose to err on the side of getting a shot than one with maximum panning effects, considering subject size, focus, and my lack of skill. :)

This is a really a great challenge. I am yet to take this challenge...thanks for sharing.

Hosea said:
Tom, wow this is fantastic... do share a little more on your technique and settig with us. If you have forgotten.. maybe you can shoot another shot and share with us your good experience.. Thanks in advance..
Hope someday I can have such a good panning shot.
Thanks :) It was dim, D60 + 16-35/2.8L, evalutive metering, ISO800, I had a shutter speed of about 1/30s at f2.8. Panning with the girl, I took two shots, this one was better. No specific technique, just pan and keep stable. Then dun forget smile to the parents of the girl! :D

That's all.

Hosea said:
Another good panning effect though the subject is as dark as the background.. ya do share with us the shutter and speed.. we really can learn a lot from one another experience.

As usual - sitting at a bus-stop - ISO100, Shutter (priority) 1/50, F7.1, on a Canon 10D w 28-70mm lens, matrix metering, AI focus. Picture taken at about 6.30PM in the evening.

bravocube said:
As usual - sitting at a bus-stop - ISO100, Shutter (priority) 1/50, F7.1, on a Canon 10D w 28-70mm lens, matrix metering, AI focus. Picture taken at about 6.30PM in the evening.

Rather curious f-stop number? 7.1?

TME said:
Rather curious f-stop number? 7.1?

Don't know about the 10D, but older manual cameras where you adjust aperture by the aperture ring gives you a stepless aperture value, thus you can get 'funny' aperture values.

justarius said:
Don't know about the 10D, but older manual cameras where you adjust aperture by the aperture ring gives you a stepless aperture value, thus you can get 'funny' aperture values.

I see.... thanks!

That is when you set your exposure increment to steps of 1/3 stop. You will get that.
Most electronic cameras, DSLR included, allows the selection of 1 stop, 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop increment for aperture and shutter speed. Check the custom functions.

Pro-New said:
That is when you set your exposure increment to steps of 1/3 stop. You will get that.
Most electronic cameras, DSLR included, allows the selection of 1 stop, 1/2 stop or 1/3 stop increment for aperture and shutter speed. Check the custom functions.

I know this... my camera allows all the above variations u mention on the fly at the turn of a knob.... but to get non-stepped apeture values.... probably the domain of a manual SLR only.... any modern pro AF bodies allow this?

You can also enhance meager panning in Photoshop:

350z_original.jpg

The original picture

350z.jpg

The final image. Added some directional motion blur for the road, and radial motion blur for the wheels. A hasty job, you can see the edges if you look hard enough.

It was a quick snapshot, I was nearby at a high ground and saw this Nissan 350Z approaching, fired a couple of shots at it in Continous AF. My camera's always in continuous shot mode.

r32 good use of PS.... thanks for the tip... :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.