How to take a nice landscape pic

skybroodz

Nov 8, 2010
Singapore
www.vt-photo.com
Hi guys, i saw this pic at the landscape gallery section. If i violate any rule please remove it for me. Anyway.. I would like to ask.. how do I take a smooth calm sea like the picture did? And how do he make the picture noiseless?

4484445818_f09007d7be_o.jpg

Hi guys, i saw this pic at the landscape gallery section. If i violate any rule please remove it for me. Anyway.. I would like to ask.. how do I take a smooth calm sea like the picture did? And how do he make the picture noiseless?

4484445818_f09007d7be_o.jpg

Since you took it from the gallery section, you probably know the person who took this picture. Why not PM him/her directly and ask for the setting/gears used. Then go out and try to replicate the picture. That would be the fastest way to learn.

When you ask us, we can only double guess based on our own setting and gears and we may not be able to replicate identical image. :cool:

you should not post the photo here by use a link instead.

to take this kind of photo, you will need a sturdy tripod and ND filter.

but i will advise you to brush up your basics first since you are asking this kind of questions, you must be pretty new.

this kind of photo is more for intermediate-advance level shooters.

hi, sorry bro, i have not had the time to reply you.

it's ok, you can put it up.

this was done without nd filters, taken during twilight, i.e. the time after the sun has gone down when there is still light in the sky. gnd was used to retain the details in the sky while having the foreground exposed correctly.

exif data reveals iso100, f/19, 206 second exposure.

i stopped down to extend the exposure, and did this with bulb mode.

as for being noiseless, just use iso100, make sure the exposure is optimal , i.e. histogram is set as far to the right as possible... and then use a decent NR programme after that.

this was done without nd filters, taken during twilight, i.e. the time after the sun has gone down when there is still light in the sky. gnd was used to retain the details in the sky while having the foreground exposed correctly.

Very nice shot.:thumbsup:

Mind if I ask was it a hard or soft GND? And how many stops was it?:)

Very nice shot.:thumbsup:

Mind if I ask was it a hard or soft GND? And how many stops was it?:)

it is the cheap tianya gnd. since the QC is quite bad, i would estimate this to be about 2 stops, somewhere between hard and soft. :bsmilie:

it is the cheap tianya gnd. since the QC is quite bad, i would estimate this to be about 2 stops, somewhere between hard and soft. :bsmilie:

nightmare, how u managed to figure out its 206 sec?:think: a rough estimation?

nightmare, how u managed to figure out its 206 sec?:think: a rough estimation?

I think nightmare already mentioned that he retrieved the info from the exif data :)

hi, sorry bro, i have not had the time to reply you.

it's ok, you can put it up.

exif data reveals iso100, f/19, 206 second exposure.

i stopped down to extend the exposure, and did this with bulb mode.

as for being noiseless, just use iso100, make sure the exposure is optimal , i.e. histogram is set as far to the right as possible... and then use a decent NR programme after that.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: for sharing and clear explanation.

We newbies will learnt a lot from it. Oh, i didn't know that we can adjust the iso to 100 and use 206 bulb mode can result in such nice effect. Usually i tot this kind of result can be achieved by using grad filter/ND filter. Cool. Is ur 206 seconds=3.4 mins?

thanks to night86mare and TS who start the thread. Appreciate lots.

PS: for those who don't contribute and give rubbish comments, u should be ashamed of urself.! :nono:

We newbies will learnt a lot from it. Oh, i didn't know that we can adjust the iso to 100 and use 206 bulb mode can result in such nice effect. Usually i tot this kind of result can be achieved by using grad filter/ND filter. Cool. Is ur 206 seconds=3.4 mins?

PS: for those who don't contribute and give rubbish comments, u should be ashamed of urself.! :nono:

yes, i forgot to bring my stopwatch and my phone doesn't have stopwatch, so i tried to count 3 minutes... luckily for long exposures you have loads of room for error. :)

yes, i forgot to bring my stopwatch and my phone doesn't have stopwatch, so i tried to count 3 minutes... luckily for long exposures you have loads of room for error. :)

Cool! Btw whats NR?
Thanks for your patience! ;)

in broad day light, u can use ND filter, at night, u can use LE (long exposure shot) without ND filter.

here's what i shot previously in Melbourne.

f18, ISO 100, 2 minutes shutter speed (shot using a cable release with timer).

5099304263_2032770851.jpg

in broad day light, u can use ND filter, at night, u can use LE (long exposure shot) without ND filter.

here's what i shot previously in Melbourne.

f18, ISO 100, 2 minutes shutter speed (shot using a cable release with timer).

5099304263_2032770851.jpg

Wow. thanks. the scene is so smooth. :eek:

Sorry to all experts, but to me, its very smooth and nice. those that i took, sucks big time under night shots. :cry:

U were in melbourne too? haha can i show u mine night pics from melbourne? then can u help me comment?

Hi TS, Can i have your permission to post my pics down here? if not, i shall start a new thread for this. :rolleyes:

I might be posting after 8pm..haha working right now. Sinned79, wait for me huh :bsmilie:
nightmare86 bro can help to comment to huh.

noise reduction.

i personally use the noise ninja plugin for photoshop.

haha thanks night86mare bro. ;)
wow even provide plugin name...:bsmilie:

i'm using alien skin blow up 2. but too bad cannot open under CS5 64 bit

nice shot nightmare!

Was this taken at one of the East Coast Park Jetties near the National Sailing club? Area G ??

nice shot nightmare!

Was this taken at one of the East Coast Park Jetties near the National Sailing club? Area G ??

i don't know what area... but this one is quite commonly shot, just walk down from the mcdonald's area towards the food centre, i think. you can't miss it.