- in the fridge?
- at room temperature?
- horizontally or standing?

got a few bottles (some ice wine) as a gift

thanks

wine fridge. lying on its side.

evildolly said:
wine fridge. lying on its side.

Don't know about laying a wine fridge on its side, but wine should be stored in a wine fridge because of the hot and humid temperatures in Singapore. Also, a wine fridge allows you to lay the wine bottles flat & at a downward angle. This prevents the cork from going dry and brittle.

Juvelyn said:
Hi.

Was wondering how you guys store wine at home

- in the fridge?
- at room temperature?
- horizontally or standing?

got a few bottles (some ice wine) as a gift

thanks

In best conditions, it should be stored in a wine fridge. A wine fridge maintains temperature at around 20 to 22 degrees celsius. Also, it should be stored lying on the side, preferably angled downwards. Whites should be chilled before drinking and reds should be drank at room temperature.

If no wine fridge, can store at room temperature but I wouldn't suggest keeping it for too long... :)

i keep it in my fridge.

please keep in mind that most of these red wine manufacturers advice serving wine at room temperature, which is european's room temperature, not singapore's ...:)

around 20 degrees, slightly chilled for our standards

Stefen said:
i keep it in my fridge.

please keep in mind that most of these red wine manufacturers advice serving wine at room temperature, which is european's room temperature, not singapore's ...:)

around 20 degrees, slightly chilled for our standards

Does anyone knows how long can u keep your unfinished wine in the fridge before the taste change?

depends on how good you seal them. some shops sell carbon dioxide which you pump backinto the bottle prior to sealing it, thus making storage pretty long. if the bottle is going to be un capped, 1 day?

just the cork alone, i wouldn't recommend more than a week.... it might pick up the smell of the durians thats in the same fridge...

Stefen said:
depends on how good you seal them. some shops sell carbon dioxide which you pump backinto the bottle prior to sealing it, thus making storage pretty long. if the bottle is going to be un capped, 1 day?

just the cork alone, i wouldn't recommend more than a week.... it might pick up the smell of the durians thats in the same fridge...

Hi Stefen,

Does the taste change mainly due to picking up other smells in the fridge or can it change due to its own chemistry? I tot my wine taste different after storing it for a week in the fridge but my fridge dosent contain much things.

otnaicus said:
Whites should be chilled before drinking and reds should be drank at room temperature.
If no wine fridge, can store at room temperature but I wouldn't suggest keeping it for too long... :)
Attended the Streats wine appreciation course once. Was told Red should be drank abit cold. Room temperature is referring to temperate countries such as France where they their room temperature is lower than Singapore. Also generally, wines shouldn't be kept long. Lying the wine in the horizontal postion may be good to prevent the cork from going dry and brittle. Because once the cork become dry and cracked, air can penetrate in and oxide the wine. But if it is kept moist, then it will slowly dissolve the cork and you will find bits of corks at the bottom of the wine. Hmm.. Cheers.

Depends on how long you intend to store them. For long term storage, ie, longer than 3 months, I'd recommend a good wine fridge which maintains temp and humidity for optimum aging of wines.

For short term, you can just put them in a carton horizontally, and put the carton under your bed. Basically find a place in the house where the temperature is not excessively warm, or varies too much during the day.

Uncorked, unfinished white wines can be corked back and placed in the fridge. White wines can last for weeks on end this way. Some supermarket white wines come in screw caps which make it very convenient for recapping.

Uncorked and unfinished red wines are a bit more troublesome. If you simply cork it back and place it in the fridge, it may still taste good after 3 days, but beyond that, good luck to you. To preserve wines beyond 3 days after opening, you can either get a vacuum valve and pump out the air from the bottle prior to putting it in the fridge, or use an inert gas product that you can spray into the bottle prior to re-corking. These methods can preserve wines up to a week or more.

Ice wines can be kept with the above methods, but because it is so sweet, it tends to be more resilient and does not deteriorate that quickly.

DennisLee said:
Hi Stefen,

Does the taste change mainly due to picking up other smells in the fridge or can it change due to its own chemistry? I tot my wine taste different after storing it for a week in the fridge but my fridge dosent contain much things.

Taste of wine changes due to oxidation. It gets oxidised when exposed to air.

Ansel said:
Taste of wine changes due to oxidation. It gets oxidised when exposed to air.

Thanks Ansel, now i know to finish it within 3 days. And i suppose it is not good to drink anything that is oxidised...

DennisLee said:
Thanks Ansel, now i know to finish it within 3 days. And i suppose it is not good to drink anything that is oxidised...

Well if it is oxidised and you still drink it, it probably won't make you sick, but I doubt if anyone will enjoy drinking vinegar! :bsmilie:

Ansel said:
Well if it is oxidised and you still drink it, it probably won't make you sick, but I doubt if anyone will enjoy drinking vinegar! :bsmilie:

can use for cooking...... :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

actually depends on what kinda wines u wanna store :)

red wines or whites...whites u need a colder temp

reds not that high....

and oso depends on the varietal.

get a good wine fridge.... if u got the cash, transderm, eurocave blah blah blah

keepds the humidity and temp optimal :)

Ansel said:

EWWWWWWWWWWW!!! :faint:

:bsmilie:

Next SEED, let's meet at a wine bar. And an Abstract shoot-out right after!

Noir said:
Next SEED, let's meet at a wine bar. And an Abstract shoot-out right after!

Good idea Pinot, ahem... I mean Noir,

I'll bring a manual focus camera: pictures will be even more abstract. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.