how to store long telephoto lenses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rupernathan7

Jan 12, 2007
Just wondering how you would keep those LONG telephoto lenses. Do you keep them in electronic humidity cabinets even if they are weather resistant?

Just wondering how you would keep those LONG telephoto lenses. Do you keep them in electronic humidity cabinets even if they are weather resistant?

yup..cos sg climate hot n humid and might easy kena the unwanted fungus!!! ;)

U certainly dun want dat to happen to ur precious lens rite?

Being weather resistant has got nothing to do with fungus growing on the lenses.
The humidity can still nurture the growth of fungus in the long run.

Ryan

I keep mine in a Pelican case.;)

yup..cos sg climate hot n humid and might easy kena the unwanted fungus!!! ;)

U certainly dun want dat to happen to ur precious lens rite?

then when in the dry box, should it be standing or laid down huh...

then when in the dry box, should it be standing or laid down huh...

Modern AF Long Tele lenses should be okay stored in any direction but if you are into older manual focus stuff like me, you might want to invest in tall cabinets or Pelicans and Silica Gel. Older lenses have tight helicoids that are greased and unless you rotate them every now and then, the lubricant actually settles and leaks out the side of the lens.
Hope this is helpful, GOD Bless.

Modern AF Long Tele lenses should be okay stored in any direction but if you are into older manual focus stuff like me, you might want to invest in tall cabinets or Pelicans and Silica Gel. Older lenses have tight helicoids that are greased and unless you rotate them every now and then, the lubricant actually settles and leaks out the side of the lens.
Hope this is helpful, GOD Bless.

when u mentioned modern, how young lens fits this bill huh.... what about a 1999 70-200 zoom place in dry box for 6yrs never even touched before have the grease dried up and cause the lens to have a coat of grease... any remote chance of this happening.... just like to seek some opinion...

OT: With modern AF Long Tele Prime lenses, It does not accepted front filter or front cap due to non-threaded in the front glass elements but only come with the front leather cap.
Do you guy store the lens with front leather cap (to protect the front glass elements) into the dry cabinet? or otherwise?
Which direction [sleeping flat, standing up(front glass up), standing down with hood mounted(rear cap up)] is prefer when store into dry cabinet?

How about the lens hood, carrying lens strap?

Status
Not open for further replies.