How to store equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zax13

Oct 23, 2005
Sengkang, Singapore
just a simple question.
can i store the lense in a dry box attached to the body, or do i have to dismantle everything seperately?
thanks

I am not sure, but speedlights (flashes) and batteries should NOT be stored in the dry cabinets. Correct me if I am wrong.

Fluorite said:
I am not sure, but speedlights (flashes) and batteries should NOT be stored in the dry cabinets. Correct me if I am wrong.
Can somebody else confirm Fluorite's comments? I store my flashed inside my dry cabinet too.

Fluorite said:
I think if only for a while (2-4 weeks) it should be ok. But if you keep it on dry cab for longer period (not in use for say for 1 or 2 months) you should remove the battery to prevent it leaks on your flash. It is applicable also for your camera's battery.

Now, which level of humidity should we set on dry cab? Too hi humidity, dry cab useless. To low humidity, it can dry some oil/grease inside camera and lenses. On the dry cab manual, it is say between 40-50% humidity for photography. Can somebody enlight us about this matter. Thanks.

Regards,
Arto.

I keep my speedlights, film, batteries (camera/speedlights), battery chargers, portable HDDs, CF, SD-8A, grey card in the dry cabinet.

Of course batteries are NEVER kept in the equipment's body itself, it's removed from it's equipment the moment I keep the items into the dry cabinet.

Can anyone confirm if its okay to store processed negatives and slides in the dry cabinet as well? :)

icarus said:
Can anyone confirm if its okay to store processed negatives and slides in the dry cabinet as well? :)
I do that. All my processed slides, BW, negatives are all stored in my dry cabinet.

icarus said:

I just put mine in a dry box. Separate them from my stuff in my dry cabi :)

Artosoft said:
Now, which level of humidity should we set on dry cab? Too hi humidity, dry cab useless. To low humidity, it can dry some oil/grease inside camera and lenses. On the dry cab manual, it is say between 40-50% humidity for photography. Can somebody enlight us about this matter. Thanks.

Regards,
Arto.
Yes, the 40 - 50% Rh level is recommended. Have checked with CANON.

Same here. I keep everything inside the dry cabinet. But of course the batteries are all taken out of the compartments of all equipment.
:devil:

I also put my lens cleaning cloth in the dry cabinet after using it for the day. So, whenever I want to use the cloth again, it'll have less moisture. Stupid right?:confused:

espn said:
I keep my speedlights, film, batteries (camera/speedlights), battery chargers, portable HDDs, CF, SD-8A, grey card in the dry cabinet.

Of course batteries are NEVER kept in the equipment's body itself, it's removed from it's equipment the moment I keep the items into the dry cabinet.

can portable hdd be kept at the same RH value as the cam?? :dunno:

BlackAngel said:
Same here. I keep everything inside the dry cabinet. But of course the batteries are all taken out of the compartments of all equipment.
:devil:

Guys,
Does your camera's time-date function go haywire after u remove the batteries and store separately frm camera for some time?:dunno:

Hey guys,

Something just struck me! What about the camera strap? Do you guys remove it before storing it into the dry cabinet? Especially since we have sweated onto it! Truth being told, I have never removed my strap before storing. Somehow, this thought just struck me! :confused:

Comments please.

destiny_star said:
can portable hdd be kept at the same RH value as the cam?? :dunno:
I don't know about you, but I do that.

Canew said:
Hey guys,

Something just struck me! What about the camera strap? Do you guys remove it before storing it into the dry cabinet? Especially since we have sweated onto it! Truth being told, I have never removed my strap before storing. Somehow, this thought just struck me! :confused:

Comments please.
Yes, I remove all straps before putting the camera into the cabinet.

espn said:
Thanks espn, oh no! I wonder what damage have I done to my lenses! But I have never stash in the camera right after shooting. I normally keep it a few hours outside upon my return - hopefully that the strap have dried then. :confused:

espn said:

I do that too. I got another question, how do you guys support the lens in the dry box. I mean if you accidentally knock on the dry box or cabi the lens will drop.

Lets get the basic right.
U keep things in drycabi is to prevent the growth of fungus. Fungus will grow on moisture, so a drycabi is supposed to absorb the moisture and stop the growth of fungus. If yr equipment can be damaged by fungus (eg lens) then u must keep in drycabi. If yr equipment will not be damaged by fungus (eg harddisk) then it does not matter where u put it.

Status
Not open for further replies.