How to store equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi thanks guys for the info ive read so far!

sorry i know heaps of questions have been thrown around, can i ask and confirm a few more points about this?

1. so i take off the lens cap right? - how about filters? (do i need to remove them too)
2. do i stand the lens up vertically so the front of the lens is facing down?
3. is there a need to remove the bottom cover of the lens? (where i mount the lens onto the body)
4. my akura cabinet from CP.. normally sits above 30 degrees.. is this a problem? (i dont have Aircon at home ..)
5. do i need to remove the battery in film cameras too? 2 x (CR2) batteries
6. 35mm film to be placed and stored in the dry cabinet or fridge?

Thanks guys heaps for your help!

Tony.

I know this sounds kinda dumb but I'm still just putting my stuff in a plastic box with a thirsty hippo... But since my stuff moves in and out a lot, guess don't have much to worry about... ;)

TonyTony said:
hi thanks guys for the info ive read so far!

sorry i know heaps of questions have been thrown around, can i ask and confirm a few more points about this?

1. so i take off the lens cap right? - how about filters? (do i need to remove them too)
2. do i stand the lens up vertically so the front of the lens is facing down?
3. is there a need to remove the bottom cover of the lens? (where i mount the lens onto the body)
4. my akura cabinet from CP.. normally sits above 30 degrees.. is this a problem? (i dont have Aircon at home ..)
5. do i need to remove the battery in film cameras too? 2 x (CR2) batteries
6. 35mm film to be placed and stored in the dry cabinet or fridge?

Thanks guys heaps for your help!

Tony.
avoid opening the dry cabinet also, so that the humidity can be maintained perfectly.

I sometime wonder, do some of us here worries more about the possibility that one day, maybe there might be fungus growth than getting that one perfect image. For crying out loud, the camera and lens are for taking pictures, not hiding in a dry cabinet! The best way to prevent fngus growth is to use the camera, use it all the time, use it and let nature deal with the fungus ... air circulation is the best remedy against fungus growth!

People! stop worrying about fungus like it were a plague or something.
Unless you are leaving your camera untouched in your camera bag or the cupboard that will not be opened for the next 3 months or more, you have nothing much to worry about.
Fungus does not just grow overnight. They take months to grow, and even then need to be left on their own in a nice dark, warm and moist environment for a while. So even if you leave your camera in your bag but take it out at least once a week, I don't see fungus as one of your biggest worries.
Of course do remember to remove you batteries whenever you are going to leave your equipment for more than a week, as batteries have a nasty habit of leaking at the most inopportune times when left unused for a while, especially the disposable types. I have not yet encountered leaking NiMh or lithium ion ones, but why leave to chance right?

Deadpoet said:
avoid opening the dry cabinet also, so that the humidity can be maintained perfectly.

I sometime wonder, do some of us here worries more about the possibility that one day, maybe there might be fungus growth than getting that one perfect image. For crying out loud, the camera and lens are for taking pictures, not hiding in a dry cabinet! The best way to prevent fngus growth is to use the camera, use it all the time, use it and let nature deal with the fungus ... air circulation is the best remedy against fungus growth!
Well.....

Maybe because we are taking photography only as a hobby? We can't everyday (or all the time) take a photo. I am not even every weeks take a photo. Must work for living.

That's why it is important to have a good know how to keep the photography equipment (expensive hobby???) to its best.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
Well.....

Maybe because we are taking photography only as a hobby? We can't everyday (or all the time) take a photo. I am not even every weeks take a photo. Must work for living.

That's why it is important to have a good know how to keep the photography equipment (expensive hobby???) to its best.

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,
Arto.
well, te problem is many occasional hobbist spent so much money to buy a dslr set up, and shoot only once a while ...

Actually, the best thing is to just shot a few shots every day or every week ... but I guess that is asking way too much of the hobbist who had invested $2K-$3K or more on their camera ... well, in that case, a digital dry cabi is definately a must!

just my opinion, and as far as I concern, I am right :)

Deadpoet said:
If dont open the dry cabi, then how to keep a perfect air circulation? need to install a small fan inside the dry cabi? :think:

Astin said:
If dont open the dry cabi, then how to keep a perfect air circulation? need to install a small fan inside the dry cabi? :think:

:think: hmmmm.... seems Astin had pointed out a fatal design flaw with the dry cabinet ...

Deadpoet said:
well, te problem is many occasional hobbist spent so much money to buy a dslr set up, and shoot only once a while ...
Nothing wrong what??? The manual of the camera also never mentions to take a photo at least once a week...??? Hehehe.... joking only :)

Actually, the best thing is to just shot a few shots every day or every week ... but I guess that is asking way too much of the hobbist who had invested $2K-$3K or more on their camera ... well, in that case, a digital dry cabi is definately a must!

just my opinion, and as far as I concern, I am right :)
Even a pro buy dry cab :think: .

Regards,
Arto.

Dont knw if these info helps.

I used to work in a studio, my boss brought in 3 big metal cupboards (those we use to keep books during our pri sch days). He instructed me to build wires n light bulbs on every layer inside. hook on a timer switch to heat up the 3 cupboards for 24hrs. then he started to store his cam, neg, BW, slides etc inside. looks good though.

I then tried to savage an old $20 small cupboard from Sungei Rd, install the bulbs n it works till today but I only put my prints as for my cam all in my dry cabinet from Carrefour.

I am about to try out a dehumidifier I saw at a photolab. I am not sure how it works, except that there is a fan to draw air in to dry it. the resulting moisture that is removed is stored in a tray below, which you discard when its full.
I am thinking of building a relatively large airtight cupboard and install this dehumidifier to store my cooking condiments which tend to develop mould. If it works, might be a cost effective way to make really big dry cabi at an affordable price. each set cost $99.

Status
Not open for further replies.