How to store equipment?


Status
Not open for further replies.

zax13

New Member
Oct 23, 2005
56
0
0
Sengkang, Singapore
#1
just a simple question.
can i store the lense in a dry box attached to the body, or do i have to dismantle everything seperately?
thanks
 

Mar 22, 2005
434
0
16
#3
I am not sure, but speedlights (flashes) and batteries should NOT be stored in the dry cabinets. Correct me if I am wrong.
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,229
0
0
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
#4
Fluorite said:
I am not sure, but speedlights (flashes) and batteries should NOT be stored in the dry cabinets. Correct me if I am wrong.
Can somebody else confirm Fluorite's comments? I store my flashed inside my dry cabinet too.
 

Artosoft

Senior Member
Aug 31, 2005
3,710
0
0
Tanjong Katong
#5
Fluorite said:
I am not sure, but speedlights (flashes) and batteries should NOT be stored in the dry cabinets. Correct me if I am wrong.
I think if only for a while (2-4 weeks) it should be ok. But if you keep it on dry cab for longer period (not in use for say for 1 or 2 months) you should remove the battery to prevent it leaks on your flash. It is applicable also for your camera's battery.

Now, which level of humidity should we set on dry cab? Too hi humidity, dry cab useless. To low humidity, it can dry some oil/grease inside camera and lenses. On the dry cab manual, it is say between 40-50% humidity for photography. Can somebody enlight us about this matter. Thanks.

Regards,
Arto.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#6
I keep my speedlights, film, batteries (camera/speedlights), battery chargers, portable HDDs, CF, SD-8A, grey card in the dry cabinet.

Of course batteries are NEVER kept in the equipment's body itself, it's removed from it's equipment the moment I keep the items into the dry cabinet.
 

icarus

Senior Member
Jan 27, 2002
3,874
0
0
East
#7
Can anyone confirm if its okay to store processed negatives and slides in the dry cabinet as well? :)
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#8
icarus said:
Can anyone confirm if its okay to store processed negatives and slides in the dry cabinet as well? :)
I do that. All my processed slides, BW, negatives are all stored in my dry cabinet.
 

Klose

Senior Member
Feb 15, 2005
2,619
0
0
#9
icarus said:
Can anyone confirm if its okay to store processed negatives and slides in the dry cabinet as well? :)
I just put mine in a dry box. Separate them from my stuff in my dry cabi :)
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,229
0
0
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
#10
Artosoft said:
Now, which level of humidity should we set on dry cab? Too hi humidity, dry cab useless. To low humidity, it can dry some oil/grease inside camera and lenses. On the dry cab manual, it is say between 40-50% humidity for photography. Can somebody enlight us about this matter. Thanks.

Regards,
Arto.
Yes, the 40 - 50% Rh level is recommended. Have checked with CANON.
 

BlackAngel

New Member
Jan 28, 2005
7
0
0
#11
Same here. I keep everything inside the dry cabinet. But of course the batteries are all taken out of the compartments of all equipment.
:devil:
 

Spectrum

Senior Member
Jun 22, 2003
3,779
0
0
Here
Visit site
#12
I also put my lens cleaning cloth in the dry cabinet after using it for the day. So, whenever I want to use the cloth again, it'll have less moisture. Stupid right?:confused:
 

Apr 12, 2004
549
0
0
#13
espn said:
I keep my speedlights, film, batteries (camera/speedlights), battery chargers, portable HDDs, CF, SD-8A, grey card in the dry cabinet.

Of course batteries are NEVER kept in the equipment's body itself, it's removed from it's equipment the moment I keep the items into the dry cabinet.
can portable hdd be kept at the same RH value as the cam?? :dunno:
 

exhibitj

New Member
Sep 25, 2005
419
0
0
Singapore NE
www.flickr.com
#14
BlackAngel said:
Same here. I keep everything inside the dry cabinet. But of course the batteries are all taken out of the compartments of all equipment.
:devil:
Guys,
Does your camera's time-date function go haywire after u remove the batteries and store separately frm camera for some time?:dunno:
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,229
0
0
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
#15
Hey guys,

Something just struck me! What about the camera strap? Do you guys remove it before storing it into the dry cabinet? Especially since we have sweated onto it! Truth being told, I have never removed my strap before storing. Somehow, this thought just struck me! :confused:

Comments please.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#17
Canew said:
Hey guys,

Something just struck me! What about the camera strap? Do you guys remove it before storing it into the dry cabinet? Especially since we have sweated onto it! Truth being told, I have never removed my strap before storing. Somehow, this thought just struck me! :confused:

Comments please.
Yes, I remove all straps before putting the camera into the cabinet.
 

Canew

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2005
2,229
0
0
Tampines
hjgoh.spaces.live.com
#18
espn said:
Yes, I remove all straps before putting the camera into the cabinet.
Thanks espn, oh no! I wonder what damage have I done to my lenses! But I have never stash in the camera right after shooting. I normally keep it a few hours outside upon my return - hopefully that the strap have dried then. :confused:
 

DeSwitch

Senior Member
Oct 28, 2005
3,202
0
0
51
1.45N 103.83E
www.flickr.com
#19
espn said:
Yes, I remove all straps before putting the camera into the cabinet.

I do that too. I got another question, how do you guys support the lens in the dry box. I mean if you accidentally knock on the dry box or cabi the lens will drop.
 

Astin

Senior Member
Mar 2, 2002
4,736
0
36
Astin Studio
astin.clubsnap.org
#20
Lets get the basic right.
U keep things in drycabi is to prevent the growth of fungus. Fungus will grow on moisture, so a drycabi is supposed to absorb the moisture and stop the growth of fungus. If yr equipment can be damaged by fungus (eg lens) then u must keep in drycabi. If yr equipment will not be damaged by fungus (eg harddisk) then it does not matter where u put it.
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom