How to store and backup photos when travelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lau Chek

Aug 6, 2008
I used to carry a laptop for transferring my photos when travelling for a few weeks. I think it's quite heavy and taxing to do that.

Is there any device to be able to transfer photos and store them without a computer?

I used to carry a laptop for transferring my photos when travelling for a few weeks. I think it's quite heavy and taxing to do that.
Is there any device to be able to transfer photos and store them without a computer?

Search for 'photo storage' here, lots of links. But these devices are basically a small HDD with interfaces and display - running on batteries. They don't last very long and finally they are shock-sensitive like all hard disks. The right knock and all your data are gone.
Looking at the prices for memory cards I'd rather use more of them and getting a kind of pouch or bag for safe storage. Memory cards even survive drop into sea water.

how much is this hyperdrive? i presume that no HDD is provided from the description.

You can give them a call:

Funan: 63333777

Sim Lim: 63334500

Bring a HDD, transfer any photo when you have access to any pc terminal. Risk (of virus) is of course there. To be safe, bring a lot SD / CF cards. Don't want buy too much SD / CF, bring a lap top.

Most of the new camera can take 8GB memory card. That's plenty of space for pictures unless you are shooting raw or video.

I opt for more memory cards. But that's coz I don't shoot RAW and I don't have video. I think 8GB is pretty sufficient. At most, I'll bring one or two more 8GB cards, confirm more than enough. You don't even have to buy them! Just borrow from friends! Plus, assuming you've got access to electricity, you can review some of your images when you're back in the hotel room at night and delete those that really cannot make it, really no chance to save ones. That'll free up some space on your memory cards too!

Buy a netbook, you can even call home with that.. :thumbsup:

this is true... and some netbooks have SD cards slot...

and btw, it'll also be good if the camera you use have dual card slots (1DSMKII, D300s)

so you have one copy of photos in CF card, 1 in the SD card and the other (if you have a netbook) backed up in there.

how much is this hyperdrive? i presume that no HDD is provided from the description.
The latest model is called Colorspace from Hyperdrive. It is around $200+ for just the casing. You can get one with hard drive but obviously it is going to cost more.

if really in a fix..... find a local internet cafe or photo lab, sort your images into folders of appropriate sizes and burn into CD(s) until you can get home and transfer the images to a safer storage media

Just a couple of years back when the biggest memory card available then was only 1g.... I had to do this when overseas

I just got a (another) netbook for S$399/- which come with 250GB installed with a 6 cell battery which weight about 1.2kg.

I think most would prefer this over a "Backup drive" option if you don't mind the 800g of weight difference. :think:

Netbook with portable 250GB HDD..... or really alot of CF card. :bsmilie:

vosonic, epson, canon are some companies that offer portable storage devices for photographic use.

alternatively, bring more cards.

alternatively practise aggressive deletion policy if your trip is primarily for photography. i can come back from a 9 day trip with barely 30 photographs in the sd card.

I just got a (another) netbook for S$399/- which come with 250GB installed with a 6 cell battery which weight about 1.2kg.

I think most would prefer this over a "Backup drive" option if you don't mind the 800g of weight difference. :think:

That's really cheap for a netbook. Can reveal the brand and where to get it? thanks :)

I'm also interested. What model is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.