how to stop hand shake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMM

Nov 21, 2002
Central
I have been shooting in manual mode on my S602, and it always seems to request for slow shutter speed. That in turns caused my pictures to blur because I seems to have serious instability. (argh! I need image stabliser) :rbounce:

Is there any way to get around the hand shake problem? i.e. May be I should use the shutter priority setting?

Originally posted by SMM
I have been shooting in manual mode on my S602, and it always seems to request for slow shutter speed. That in turns caused my pictures to blur because I seems to have serious instability. (argh! I need image stabliser) :rbounce:

Is there any way to get around the hand shake problem? i.e. May be I should use the shutter priority setting?

Squeeze the shutter button, dun jab it. If u can, use a roll motion.

Breathing technique. Breath in. Let out till it 70-80%. hold it there. squeez trigger.

Press the camera againt your face. Lock your elbow or tuck them in.

Use a tripod. :)

The handshake warning comes out when your shutter speed is lower than roughly the 1/focal length(35mm equivalent) guideline.

It just warns that shutter speed may be insufficient for a handheld shot and you can still take good shots if the subject is static and your hands are well braced.

In such situations you could always raise the ISO, open the aperture, pop up the flash to get a higher shutter speed for the shot.

Originally posted by SMM
Is there any way to get around the hand shake problem?

Don't make so many new friends then you can get around the 'hand shake' problem lor~~~ :devil: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

(but /me thinks SMM is attracting a lot of attention just be being wherever she is......) :dunno:

General rule of thumb is never shoot with shutter speed slower than 1/focal-length second handheld. Say at 50mm is safe for handheld at 1/60 or faster.
IS/VR makes possible handheld shooting at 3 stops slower than general rule of thumb speed.
So, use tripod for slow shutter speed shooting or push you cam ISO to the max and open the aperture to the max to gain the extra shutter speed.
Hope this helps.....

before taking pic, hit the hand and tell it to behave.... tell it that shake too much no good.......

That shld do the trick...
;)

Originally posted by Bluestrike
before taking pic, hit the hand and tell it to behave.... tell it that shake too much no good.......

;)

:bsmilie:

Originally posted by Newbiez
stop smoking :p

under what lighting conditions? what apperture did u chose?

eh, how come you know I smoke? :eek:

Lighting conditions - sometime under the sun, in the room brightly lit, etc.

apperture - 2.8

Originally posted by SMM

1. Practice hand holding technique, as mentioned by binbeto. With proper hand holding techniques, I can handhold a Leica M6 down to 1/8s with a 50mm, a Nikon D1X with 85/1.4 at 1/30s, Nikon F100 with 70mm at 1/30s.

2. For digital cameras, using optical viewfinder/EVF helps quite a bit if you are using low shutter speeds. Trying to hand hold a camera away from your face can be unstable.

3. Lean against something (e.g. pillar) or brace your elbows on something (e.g. table, parapet etc). Again, hold your breath and gently squeeze the shutter release.

4. Certain cameras are easier to handhold than others due to their design. The super compact ones like the Ixus, etc are probably harder to handhold at low shutter speeds. F602 should be quite okay, tho I have not tried. I have tried hand holding a Coolpix 950/990 down to 1/4s.

5. You don't really need IS to get sharp pictures if you practice good hand holding techniques, though it helps in some instances. The Leica shooters never need IS, so are the Nikons, Minoltas, Pentaxes, etc. ;p :rbounce:

6. Set to continuous mode and shoot off a series of 3-5 pictures at one go, without letting go of the shutter. One of them should be sharp.

7. Last resort, use monopod, tripod, beanbag, rest the camera onto something, etc and use self timer/cable release. But then, now that you eliminated camera shake, you need to take care of subject movement too!

Regards
CK

Originally posted by megaweb
what is the shutter speed and focal length used ?

I can't tell you exactly what is the shutter speed and focal length used. Most of the time it will request for shutter speed as slow as 1/60 sec or even lower in order to get the exposure correctly.

Originally posted by SMM

eh, how come you know I smoke? :eek:

Lighting conditions - sometime under the sun, in the room brightly lit, etc.

apperture - 2.8

wah......... under the sun (assuming normal sunny day) also u get handshake problem??? I think u should use a faster shutter speed or try pumping up the ISO :p

Originally posted by ckiang
5. You don't really need IS to get sharp pictures if you practice good hand holding techniques, though it helps in some instances. The Leica shooters never need IS, so are the Nikons, Minoltas, Pentaxes, etc. ;p :rbounce:

Hey, u forget to give Canon a mention. :D :gbounce:

Originally posted by binbeto
Squeeze the shutter button, dun jab it. If u can, use a roll motion.

Breathing technique. Breath in. Let out till it 70-80%. hold it there. squeez trigger.

Press the camera againt your face. Lock your elbow or tuck them in.Use a tripod. :)

aiya, no use lah. my friend has even pushed me against a wall and my picture still shakes like mad.

Originally posted by funksoulava
Don't make so many new friends then you can get around the 'hand shake' problem lor

(but /me thinks SMM is attracting a lot of attention just be being wherever she is......) :dunno:

suggestion noted. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Originally posted by Bluestrike

;)

Did that - no use. did it to the camera - also no use. may be time to change hands or camera. :dent:

Originally posted by SMM

aiya, no use lah. my friend has even pushed me against a wall and my picture still shakes like mad.

time to do some weights training :rbounce:

Originally posted by SMM

Did that - no use. did it to the camera - also no use. may be time to change hands or camera. :dent:

Implant the tripod to your arms...........:D should do the trick...30secs exposure handheld oso okay...

Status
Not open for further replies.